HDMI 2.0 announced, brings 18 Gbps bandwidth for 60fps 4K video

Scorpus

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
The HDMI Forum has announced the release of HDMI 2.0 at IFA 2013, which ups the specification's bandwidth to 18 Gbps (from 10.2 Gbps in HDMI 1.4) and adds a range of new features designed for upcoming Ultra HDTVs.

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/53899-hdmi-20-announced-brings-18-gbps-bandwidth-for-60fps-4k-video.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

highlander84

TS Booster
I don't see how thunderbolt can be competitive! Every laptop (except apple) comes with HDMI connections... it's a huge standard that Thunderbolt can never hope to overcome. I do not think I have ever seen a TV with a thunderbolt connection... however I'm sure there are a few...

9Nails

TechSpot Paladin
I don't see how thunderbolt can be competitive!
HDMI is pretty ubiquitous at this point. Its in everything from cell phones to game consoles. And I can appreciate that HDMI 2.0 will work at 60 FPS. For computers, I'm happy with USB 3.0. My TV's take HDMI from the back of my video card. So I doubt I'd ever buy a device with Thunderbolt.

RenGood08

TS Booster
I have never even heard of Thunderbolt until I read this article! I thought HDMI was the only standard for audio/video.

G

Knowing how many changes did the 1.x series go through... I'd bet 20 Euros that a HDMI 2.1 or HDMI 2.0a will be out before December.

howzz1854

TS Evangelist
Thunderbolt needs to die!.. I don't want another cable standard, and another piece of hardware, and another piece of cable. since Display Port is free to license, unlike TB and HDMI, lets just go with display port.

GhostRyder

TS Evangelist
You can use old cables, as long as they are certified as 2.0 capable. Some go for <$5 currently.
Well I knew that, but I mean the need for it for that resolution will cause those cords (the 2.0 ones) to be very pricey, im better in the triple digits range.

Darth Shiv

TS Evangelist
You can use old cables, as long as they are certified as 2.0 capable. Some go for <$5 currently.
Well I knew that, but I mean the need for it for that resolution will cause those cords (the 2.0 ones) to be very pricey, im better in the triple digits range.
There are always cheap cables around - if you are only talking cables sub 2m you won't have a problem getting one for single digits and not more than $20 for 5m. Plug it in and if it works, it works. Just try some high bitrate content. No point spending $100+ on a HDMI cable.

GhostRyder

TS Evangelist
Lol a $300 HDMI cable from Best Buy = a $5 one on Amazon xD.
Well my thing is that ive seen HDMI cables that cost an arm and a leg (Hell I own a few) that are 65 dollars and only maybe 6 feet long. Just imagine the new tech, its going to be expensive for the new cables at least for the first year probably except on the off brands and real short ones.

Jad Chaar

Elite Techno Geek
Well my thing is that ive seen HDMI cables that cost an arm and a leg (Hell I own a few) that are 65 dollars and only maybe 6 feet long. Just imagine the new tech, its going to be expensive for the new cables at least for the first year probably except on the off brands and real short ones.
I got a 6 foot BlueRigger HDMI cable a year back for <$5 and it works like a charm. It is now $8 on Amazon though.

dividebyzero

trainee n00b
I dont get how you dont need new cables though....
The HDMI spec isn't actually that clear so I can see that that there will be some head scratching going on. The new 2.0 specification will still be compatible with the 19-pin out (Type A) that the previous cables use so long as the cable is designated "High Speed" (longer explanation here). Where it gets a little more complicated is that there is a Type B HDMI connector that is specifically designed for future high bandwidth displays and devices (second chart on this page) that is physically larger- as well as having 29 pins, that even the HDMI organisation is more than a little vague on.

As for pricing, it's like David Hannum said: "There's a sucker born every minute"