HDMI connections

I'm trying to connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI for a presentation. Everytime I connect the HDMI the laptop screen goes blank and the TV screen appears with the laptop screen. Is there a way to get both screens working together at the same time while the HDMI is plugged in?

One of the Fn keys toggles, {PC,External, PC+External} depending upon the laptop.

look for the Fn key with two rectangles {on a dell, its FN+F1}

On my Dell, laptop, its Fn F8, when I hit Fn F8, I have the option of disconnect projector, duplicate, projector only, but when I try to select duplicates to show both monitors, it only shows one.

Rabbit01, the Output to selection is not available for the selections.

Ok, that comes up only when the lid is open on my Latitude E6430. With the lid closed, I don't get that option either.

Anyway, have you tried updating the video driver to see whether that would resolve your problem?

Ha ha!..Very funny Rabbit01. My laptop is a dell latitude e6530. Maybe I should have been more specific. When I right click and go to graphic options, the "Output to" option isn't there.

Update: I went into the Nvidia control panel. I when into multiple displays, highlighted the check box for both laptop display and the TV display. Now im just getting the background of my computer screen thats not even the full size of the monitor. I tried updating the video drivers, windows says they are up to date. Any suggestions?

What HDMI source are you using? Some video sub systems work different. I have Intel HDMI and AMD HDMI works differently. Sounds like your Nvidia should have support for dual view or dual screens. Which version of Windows are you using? None of the post above shows what your using?

It sounds like you're now using extended desktop instead of cloning. If you want to see the same thing on both displays you need to clone displays but make sure that they can both do the resolution you're attempting.

I'm using windows 7 pro. I hit the windows key and "p", and I select duplicate which I'm assuming is the right setting which should enable clone mode? How do I tell which HDMI source im using?

UPDATE: Its fixed..The cloning setting wasn't set up properly in the Nvidia control panel. I assumed it was done automatically. Feels good to be over the frustration.

Back