Heavy heatsinks may snap my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello,

As you may or may not be aware most of the heatsinks (decent ones that is) seem to be over the maximum reccomended weight for most motherboards.

If I'm moving my pc around a lot with a heavy heatsink on it am I likley to break the motherboard?

Can anyone reccomend a decent heatsink?

Regards.

Alex.

I don't think so,i have a cooler in my pc that's about a kg without thye two 120mm fans and i have driven more than 200km's with my pc in my car and no problem's

Motherboards are built pretty strong. They won't snap under the weight of these heavy coolers.

I wont disagree with any one here but than why would they say the limit is around the 350g limit. I do have a quite heavy heat sink (Blue Orb, almost a kg) There must be a reason for this. If you want something really light go with liquid cooling that can weight very little.

snap it... no (unless you do it on purpose)
damage it... yes; just be sure to seat the PC case in a secure position while traveling and, preferably, have it placed on the lateral side where the mobo is

also, have the CPU cooler screwed in as stated in it's manual

It depends on the weight of the cooler. IMO, if you use any cooler other than the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Copper, you won't have to worry about anything.

That limit is just so you don't get warranty coverage if you do somehow manage to over weigh it and break it.

I really doubt any cooler you put on will put many boards at risk. That is a good reason to read reviews on things though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back