Help choosing a graphics card

Hi, I'm new to the forums & I was wondering if you talented people could help me out in choosing a new graphics card, Thank's in advance :)

My current set up is.
Acer Aspire M7300
Windows Vista home premium 64-bit with service pack 1.
Motherboard manufacturer, Acer.
Model, FRX780M.
Graphic interface Version, PCI-Express, Link Width X2, Max Supported X16.
Memory, 6GB DDR3.
Cpu, AMD Phenom 2 X4 810 Quad core processor, Socket AM3 (938).
CPU Speed, Core speed 800.0 MHz, Multiplier X 4.0, Bus Speed 200.0 MHz.
Power supply make, FSP Group Inc.
Model number, FSP450 - 60 Ep.
Power supply watts 450.
AC input, 100-127/220-240 volts-10/5A 60/50hZ.
DC output, +3.3v+5v+12v1+12v2+5vsb+12v, 135w max - 360w max - Max wattage 450 - Peak Wattage 500w.

I hope this is the correct information that you need to help me, I'm currently using a ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024 mb card and ive had it in my system for 2 years now, but recently ive noticed some pixels on my monitor and black thin lines across the screen, I also want to play the sims 3 and all it expansion & stuff packs on high settings, this will be the only games I will be playing, I'm looking for a decent gaming card that will let me do this, I also convert movies & burn them onto dvd, I'm from the uk & I'm looking to spend at least £200.00, I would really appreciate it if you guys & ladies could help me out, Thanks.

You definitely don't need a £200 graphics card to play Sims 3, especially as that's the only game you're playing. In fact your 4870 should be fine.

Maybe youre artifacts are because of your PSU? That doesn't sound like a great power supply, you should consider getting a 500-600W quality PSU (Corsair, Antec, etc.)

That 4870 is good enough my friend. A upgrade to 6870 will be faster but it will not be noticeable when you play Sims etc.

Spend your money on a SSD ,, Doing that you will see a performance boost, ur computer will fly. gl

Thank's for you're replies, But the thing is, my HD 4870 card is dying on me I think, because I see small coloured pixels on my monitor & when I watch online video it goes all distorted on me halfway up the viewing screen that I'm watching the video, even if it's only youtube videos or the bbciplayer I't still get's distorted, plus the new sims 3 pets and all the expansion & stuff pack's require a good video card to run them, they are 3-D games, I basically want a card that outperforms my current one & I's compatible with my psu & motherboard, I want the next best thing to the one I have now & I don't mind spending £200.00 on a decent one, the pc I have now was bought 2 years ago from comet & I't cost me £900.00, Plus I took the graphics card out to clean it as it was making a lot of noise & It was really dirty & the sticky pad's that are inside the card were stuck to the other side of the card when I took it apart which means the pads were supposed to be whole but they ripped apart when I opened it, also ccc is telling me that the card is sitting at 71c when im just on this website & have two other web pages open, which seems hot to me, Plus when I play sims 3 the card can get over 80c temp, Can you please suggest to me a few cards that are better than my current 1 & compatible with my mobo & psu, Thank's.

Like I mentioned in the previous post, make sure it's the graphics card which is actually dying, not the PSU. If you're upgrading to a new card you will probably need to upgrade the PSU anyway.

The stock 4870 is known to run hot (especially at idle), so I think your temperatures are fine, considering your case probably doesn't have great airflow.

How many fps do you currently get with the 4870? One thing to note is that even if you get a £450 7970 and it generates 200fps, if your monitor is 60Hz then it will only display 60fps. So getting an expensive graphics card will be of no benefit to you considering you only play Sims 3 which is not a graphically intense game. If you really want to get a new graphics card then the 6770 will probably max out Sims 3.

Back