Inactive Help: Computer auto restarts and no internet connection

bomni

My Hp netbook has probably been infected with a virus/malware but I am not sure when or how.
I am missing my windows start button, I have no internet connection now, and my computer gets stuck in the restart cycle as Window NT authority forces a restart every time I attempt to use the computer. My lap top no longer detects flash drives.

Please help me. I am running windows xp service pack 3 (I think) and I use Antivir.

Thank you

Welcome aboard

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running any tools, fixes or applying any changes to your computer other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

============================================

What Windows version is it?

It is Windows XP 32 bit but not sure or where to find that information. Is that what you need to know?

Thanks!

Using another working computer....
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your Desktop
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open ImgBurn to burn the file to CD
  • Boot your BAD computer using the boot CD you just created.
Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
  • Insert the flash drive with FRST on it
  • Open My Computer to locate the flash drive and run FRST
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

I should mention that my infected laptop is a netbook and has no CD rom drive so can this be done via flash drive. Also my infected computer does not read flash drives for some reason so not sure if there is a setting I need to change because of the virus/malware.

Unfortunately if we can't access your computer through a CD or USB there is really not much I can do here.
I'm sorry :(

I hope to have this done in a couple of days as I have some examinations this week. I will pm you if I need more than 5 days to avoid this thread from being closed.

This is not going to format my laptop is it? I have lots of pictures on my laptop that is why I am asking.

Thanks

I just attempted to boot off my usb drive and got a blue screen error - a problem was detected and windows shut down to prevent damage.....check for virus....run chkdsk. This occurs when my cpu starts starting realtogo and then starts to load windows and I have tried all 3 usb ports.

Hi, I have attempted this a few times and still get the blue screen error. I have a USB as a boot cd and go into BIOS and change boot order to USB. I should also mention a few years ago I can a change to how my cpu starts up and I had someone help me install recovery console not sure if this is a conflict. Sorry I am not that great at computer programming and understanding all the intricacies hence why I am here.

Recovery console shouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately since the computer can't see USB drive I don't have any other ideas as to what else could be done.

There was a time when I was attempting to boot the computer and the computer restarted and it can sometimes detect a flash drive. I had the FarBar program running but then my cpu decided the force the shutdown via Windows NT authority message giving me 1 minute. If I can get my cpu to detect the boot usb can I run it once my computer has loaded windows or does t have to occur during start up?

Does this sounds like bad virus/malware?

You shouldn't be getting that message if you truly boot from USB.
Keep trying.

I have tried 10 times and still get the blue screen error. Could it be that my usb file is not complete? I am running a primary hard disk self test to see if there is a problem there, is this a waste of time you think?

I guess so...:D. How can a virus/malware be so brutal as take out out the internet connection of my laptop and bog down the cpu so much that everything super slow? Sorry I had vent a little as this is very frustrating and I don't understand why people create viruses/malware.

I will continue to attempt to boot my cpu via USB after my hard disk test is complete and will keep you posted.

Hello

I have tried formatted the usb boot twice and tried my three usb ports and I still get the blue screen error. I was however able to get a scan through on my infected laptop with my Avira and it detected 3 viruses and quarantined them. They were identified as TR/Hijacker.Gen Trojan so it is safe to say that it is infected. I think though it has defeated me as I have no idea how transfer files from usb or access the internet to download critical files. I have noticed that when I start the infected computer that Avira automatically disables web protection and on the computer I am using now that does not have this installed.

You need to create new topic for your laptop.

As for netbook there is really nothing I can do here. I'm sorry :(

Sorry this virus scan was on my net book that is the computer I need help with. My laptop is fine. So then what I need to do is take it in to someone?

I can get into windows XP and to my desktop and going into Command prompt and typing "shutdown -a" stops the shutdown for anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes. It seems the just before the first time my computer tries to restart I get an error that ITunes had to close and something to that effect. I did notice that after a while my computer stopped trying to force the shutdown but only then now it seems to be back to trying to shutdown periodically. According the AV log the scan took 5 hours and detected the 3 viruses and quarantined them as I had mentioned.

If you can get to your desktop....

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Back