Help, hosed my Windows installation trying to work with VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnWarierMage224

Hi folks,

so I was following the directions listed here:
http://www.squidoo.com/use-existing-...apps-in-ubuntu

At the point where it says to configure the IDE drivers to work with VMWare, I went into device manager and selected IDE/ATAPI controllers... I changed the settings for both Primary and Secondary IDE Channels to the setting recommended in the guide (creating a new VMWare profile, of course). I stopped at that point (have not continued) and tried to boot into my windows installation. It won't boot, period... It gets past BIOS, then the windows XP logo flashes briefly, then a blue screen with some text (flashes too quickly, I can't read it) then the computer reboots.

Thank God I can still use my linux install so I can backup all my documents. (they live on a separate NTFS partition).

What to do???

EDIT: Fixed it. Can boot into windows.

-'Mage

Ah, that's the other way of doing it. What settings did you change for the IDE channels by the way?

Edit: Never mind, I see that you updated the driver.

Went into Device Manager --> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers --> Primary IDE Channel --> Update Driver --> No not this time --> install from specific location --> don't search --> Unchecked show compatible hardware --> changed selection to Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I repeated the same process for Secondary IDE Channel

That's bad. Very bad. (As I found out firsthand).

Would you/anyone else know how to amend those squidoo instructions so I can get VMWare to work?

Thanks,

-'Mage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back