Help maintaining my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildgene789

Alright i want my computer running tip top and right now i have Diskkeeper 2009 and Ccleaner is their anything else i can get that will put my computer over the top. Incase this helps im running vista.

1. personally, I think diskeeper is a bit over the top. since you don't have to defrag everyday. you don't experience significant fragmentation that often. Of course it depends on how much the files on your pc change.
2. you can also set Internet Explorer to "Empty Temporary files when browser is closed". This can be found in the advanced section of the internet explorer settings. this is a hifing place for alot of junk so it's best to dump this folder anyway.
3. You didn't mention an antivirus which is the single most important factor in keping your pc running like new. I like AVG now since it has incorperated anti-spyware into its latest edition. Note that no AV program is perfect.
4. you will find a boatload of registry boosters and optimizers that claim to tune up your pc but most of its all crap. I'd stay away from all of them.

these options can keep a clean pc clean.

I also use Diskeeper 2009 Pro for defragging, and it's left on auto mode. It's really good, and doesn't need to run for more than a few minutes daily for all the 4 drives.

Ccleaner is good on XP, but I stopped using it on Vista after it randomly messed up some folder settings.

For browsing, Opera is a good choice. Fast, customizable and lean on resources.

Security: AVG8 and Malwarebytes Anti-malware is what I use.

Computer speed

Hi, I run win-XP and also run the AVG8 free,which is made by grisoft where all other programs get virus updates. ad-aware free, and malwarebytes free for the spy-mal. For clean up I run PC optimizer 2 but it cost $29 per year. After downloading it you have 24 hours to download it to other computers up to 10 I believe. Ive found it to be helpful but as any program everyone has their own opinion.

I don't recommend AVG8 krait (ok I even tell many Members to uninstall it)
I thought you knew this already, having so many users attached to you IP

Pardon my ignorance, but why is AVG 8 so bad? We use the McAffee corporate edition in many of the systems at the university* where I am, and AVG 8 Free on my laptop actually caught a couple of trojans on an infected thumb drive that the McAffee on the univ systems missed. I thought AVG8 was quite decent.:confused:

I have tried Avira a couple of years ago, but it had severe problems with the updating of the definitions file...I had to manually download the updates everyday. Maybe those problems are resolved now.

* Getting internet based viruses is less of a risk here I think since all internet connections from the univ go through a proxy server and file sharing apps are disabled. So infected thumbdrives are the biggest risk. On the other hand, you can never d/l anything off rapidshare and megaupload :(

Pardon my ignorance, but why is AVG 8 so bad? We use the McAffee corporate edition in many of the systems at the university
You're excused :D

By the way, you just happened to quote the 2 of the worst Antiviruses just then
Here's top 1 Norton; followed by McAfee then AVG - All bad :dead:

Yes presently of all the AntiViruses (although emphasis on free, Avira is the best)
Obviously Norton and McAfee, are not free (although usually supplied on corporate computers, so called freely) Those are the worst.

I highly doubt that. Kaspersky and ESET are much nearer to that marker than Grisoft.

@wildgene789, how about cleaning your computer out every week or so? It helps a lot and can help extend component life very significantly.

Hijackthis report on my Dell Inspiron B130

StartupList report, 1/22/2009, 12:25:27 PM
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18241)

Moderator Edit:
Pasted log removed
All logs need to be attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back