Help with CD drive dissasembly (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneVr6

So I am trying to open up my external CD/DVD drive. Words would not describe my processes well so i decided to include pictures from the start. This is an I/O Magic Writemaster SH S182 Drive

Here We Go...

The start:
1025082320.jpg

Opened External Shield:
1025082323.jpg

Removed Drive From Casing:
1025082325.jpg

Opened Metal Door (the drive is up-side down in this picture):
1025082326.jpg

....and here i am stuck..the following pics are just other shots that could help I suppose:

Tabs on the side of the drive (identical on each side)
1025082328.jpg

When i push in these two tabs the faceplat seems to pop out, but the actual tray is in the way...and it seems like I will break it. (shown below)

1025082327.jpg

Help me out here guys. How do I get that faceplate off! Big big Thanks in advance to any help.

You'll need a paperclip or similar width pin to push into the hole in the face plate and that should release the tray. You need to open the DVD tray and take off the tray bezel (door) and then you should be able to take off the face plate. The tray door probably just snaps into place.

Sorry I pushed submit and knew I hadn't explained the entire process.

Get a paper clip and straighten it out

Push the paper clip end into the tiny little hole at the front of the CD Drive
This will open the drive door (Just push it in!)

Once the door is open, check underneath it for either two tiny screws or two little clips

Take the thin door off
Then take the face plate off

Thanks for the pics :)

Man how hard do i have to push down on this thing? Is the drive supposed to just pop out? Or do I have to pull it out while i am pushing the hole?

btw your welcome for the pics, I noticed that alot of posts are hard to understand just by words, so pics was my solution. ( I even had more but it said i could only have 6...=))

ok so i got the tray out.....I was being too gentle I don't want to break it since I still like it hah

OK so anyway I can see what looks like two tabs under the tray...Is there a correct way to remove them? Or should I just give it tug....

Just give the door a good looking over and you'll probably find that it just snaps into place. The face plate is held into place with two plastic tabs on the sides of the drive, and maybe two more on the bottom of the drive.

Doesnt seem to be coming off to easy, or it could just be me not wanting to break it...
Here is a pick of the Tray upside-down:
1026080012.jpg

It looks like the tabs on the bottom of the tray hold the door into place and once you pull the door far enough away from the tray for the tabs to clear you'll have to move the door up to slide it off the tray.

I kind of turn the bezel out
But it is possible to break the clips, so as Cinders says Just give the door a good looking over

YAHOO. Got the faceplate off, just had to put some more muscle in it...The laster is now exposed. Massive thanks to everyone who helped me out, and the awesomeness of photobucket!

By the way, all this is not needed
Just replace the d@mn drive !

Save up a few bucks

Oh well, I've done it I suppose :) (a little bit hypocritical of me :blush: )

If the drive was broken, i wouldn't fix it haha I would just buy a new one. This was more experimental than anything. A buddy of mine wants me to fix his drive but I had to learn how to open my own first! The drive works fine...of course now i am having trouble getting it visible in Windows again....always something

Yeah I just had to reintall the drivers...I just put it in a different USB port and it did it automatically. Thank you sir I am glad this all got sorted out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back