Help With Choosing Gaming Monitor/TV

The Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX looks very attractive but at an unattractive price point of approximately $3,600-$4,000. A 4K OLED 48" at 120 Hz HDR television appears much more financially attractive with the bonus that OLED is much superior to LCD monitors. I also find the ultra wide curved Predator X34, 34" 200 Hz, Nano IPS attractive as well.

How would you suggest to choose from the above options?

No monitor (or TV) excels in all areas, so its impossible to recommend something to you without knowing what you value the most. A couple points though. OLED is superior to LCD in contrast ratio, viewing angles, etc, but its still inferior when it comes to issues like image retention, burn-in, and longevity. The gap between the two technologies have narrowed lately, but it still exists. For myself, I wouldn't be too happy with the pixel density on a 4K 48" monitor if I was only a foot or two away from it -- and placed further away, you're paying for size that you're not really using, but tastes do vary.

OLED is superior to LCD in contrast ratio, viewing angles, etc, but its still inferior when it comes to issues like image retention, burn-in...

I've done my research and see "burn ins" are no longer an issue; in matter of fact, most smart phones are using OLED displays. In addition; this OLED screen will be solely used for gaming/movies anyhow, so it won't be static for much if any.

..and longevity.
This won't be an issue because OLED has a life span of 100,000 hours. Gamers average 300 hours a year gaming so this monitor/tv would last over 300 years; however, this is ridiculous as people often upgrade their monitors/televisions every few years.

To summarize, so my confusion lies because there are 3 options:
1. Go very large with an 120 Hz OLED television which is superior to LCD which also has an option of playing MOVIES very BEAUTIFULLY!
2. Go ultrawide with 200Hz, IPS, but only 1440p.
3. Go with the Best of the Best gaming monitor, the PG32UQX (not yet released) but for nearly $4,000 (Mini LED 4K, 144Hz, HDR)

Last edited:
The farther you sit away from the TV the larger it needs to be if you go 4K. That's for sure. We have a 55" 2K TV and it looks great from 10' away. If I change that into a 4K and play 4k content, I won't see it because I sit too far away. I need a 65"+ set if I go 4k.

I think you should focus on the best TV you can swing for your situation then you should of course try to game on it. if it doesn't work out then go for a 2nd high refresh monitor that you sit closer to for gaming.

I have often pondered the pip dream of having both worlds. This set looks close but I dunno about reading text on it all day:

Sorry about the Canadian link:

Back