Help with CPU/Motherboard? No-post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, new to this site and I'm hoping I can find someone on here who knows what they are talking about. I tried yahoo answers, but either they can't read or have no idea what they're talking about. It's not possible to get into the BIOS when the computer no-posts or hell... even powers on.

I'll copy paste what I posted on yahoo.

-------------
About a week ago we had a power surge and after that my computer wouldn't turn on (no fans, no fan self-test, no post). Tried a known good power supply and still no good. However I was still getting a stand-by light on the motherboard so I tried a new outlet and same thing. So I went ahead and replaced the motherboard, figuring the motherboard got fried from the surge (even though there was no physical evidence on the board itself).

Got the new motherboard in, put on cardboard and plugged in the old powersupply (nothing else plugged in...just motherboard and PSU). Still no startup. I've read that some motherboards won't even start without the CPU installed, so I installed the new motherboard in the case and plugged in the CPU+Heatsink/fan. Tried again and nothing (I've tried the switch and manually shorting the power-on pins with a screw driver). Got around to trying it with the known good PSU before buying a completely knew one just in case. Nothing. Took out the CPU again and still nothing.

It's possible the motherboard is DOA but with no physical damage it seems unlikely. Also note it gives me the standby light as well.

Any suggestions?

Specs:

Pentium 4 3.6ghz with HT
Intel 915GAG motherboard
2 gigs of DDR Memory (4x512)

Also note, I don't have the cash to upgrade or I would have just built a completely new system from the get go.
--------------

On a side question, curious if the mobo would atleast give me an error code if I were to remove the CPU completely and try turning it on. I've tried it once and it did the same nothingness. I've heard mixed responses from people about it though. Some say some motherboards won't even turn on without a CPU, other's say it'll give you an error beep code.

Help? Please? lol

The CPU needs to be installed in the motherboard at all times, in order to get any sign of motherboard operation. You can remove the memory, and see if the motherboard beeps, if you hear nothing, the motherboard... or the CPU is bad. Make sure you have all the power supply connections to the motherboard including the CPU power plug

The CPU needs to be installed in the motherboard at all times, in order to get any sign of motherboard operation. You can remove the memory, and see if the motherboard beeps, if you hear nothing, the motherboard... or the CPU is bad. Make sure you have all the power supply connections to the motherboard including the CPU power plug

Alright, I have tried that with the known working PSU (320W) but still nothing even with RAM out. The motherboard is brand new (bought after the surge). I know it's extremely rare for a processor to fry in a surge so is there any other possibility? Maybe a 320W doesnt have enough AMPs through the 12v 2x2 connector to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back