Help with eMachines T1100 hard drive install

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post here (hope I'm posting in the right spot)

I have an eMachines T1100 desktop running the original Windows XP, (I also have the eMachines XP restore CD's)

I've just purchased a new hard drive, and more memory, to have more space, speed, etc.

I'd like to make the new hard drive the master, and the original slave, however, if possible, I'd like to keep all my old settings, software, files, etc., etc., without having to reinstall everything.

1. What's the best way to do this? (or can I even do this?) Should I:

a. Install the new hard drive as slave, copy the entire original drive to it, then reinstall the new drive as master and the original as slave?

b. Take out the original drive, install the new one and install XP on it using the restore CD's (will this even work?), and then reinstall the orginal as slave?

c. Something else entirely?

2. What are the problems I can encounter, and how do I avoid them?

3. Where's the best place to find the proper jumper settings for each drive to make absolutely sure I have them right and don't fry the motherboard?

Thanks!

Hello,

What you are doing is a little annoying. Normally cloning the disk may not as the HDD has not the same digital signature thus making BIOS problem and boot problem. The best thing I will recommend you to do is to backup all your files, drivers, setups and install the two hard drive in the sequence you desire and then make a clean install of Windows XP and then copy back everything.

Thanks. That makes sense... though I'm not sure I have all the disks for reinstalling some of the software I currently have installed, which is why I'd hoped to not have to reformat everything.

Any recommendations on where to find jumper settings?

Thanks.

Your Emachine restore discs would allow you to simply install your new drive and would install the OS and attendant software in one shot. However any OS updates and post installed software would need to be reinstalled.

Copying and pasting the drive doesn't constitute a "drive image", and just won't work. The original restore discs are actually "drive images" in the first place.

There is generally software available from your drive manufacturer's website that will take care of this for you. I think WD calls its software "data life guard". The jumper positions should be there as well.

To avoid confusing the issue, I would simply install the new drive in the master position, (If this is in fact IDE, or if SATA, the "SATA 0" position, pop in the restore disc, and let Emachines handle the grunt work for you.

Later after, you can install the old drive in the slave position and copy whatever you like from it.

I understand the software and Windows update is an aggravation, but a clean install get rid of any hidden nasties, unused programs, corrupt files and whatnot, thus giving you a fresh start.

Thanks.

Yes, the new drive is IDE

A clean install does sound best.

If I just install the new drive in the master position, install Windows and whatever else on it, then install the old drive later as slave, will I be able to keep old settings and such on the original drive? Do I need to reformat the old drive, or remove Windows from it?

Thanks.

Yes, the new drive is IDE

A clean install does sound best.

If I just install the new drive in the master position, install Windows and whatever else on it, then install the old drive later as slave, will I be able to keep old settings and such on the original drive? Do I need to reformat the old drive, or remove Windows from it?

The only thing that would still be of use would be your data files.

As long as the new drive the master drive is first in the boot order. It shouldn't be necessary to remove Windows file.. In a factory boot sequence the (new) master drive should be first in the boot sequence.

Restore discs are imaged to the master drive position to begin with. Even with a SATA installation, they will install to the SATA "0" (first) position. (I found this out the hard way when I had an empty drive accidentally plugged into the SATA "0" socket).

You could actually install your new drive (as a slave), then format and partition it in Windows, so that only the amount of space you deem fitting is devoted to "C:/". I usually give Windows about 60GB (out of 250GB or thereabouts). Then you install it it the master position as we discussed before. Done this way, you wouldn't have to redo the entire drive if something ever went wrong.

After you install the old drive, you could then either transfer the data on it to the new NON "C:/" partition or leave it where it is, throw away the Windows and program installation files, and use the drive as a "volume". This of course is only if you still trust the drive.

In this scenario you wouldn't need to format your old drive, just give it a good defragmenting after you remove the unnecessary files.

A fresh install is very appealing but the pros for it also have some cons against it.
It appears your main concern is keeping what you have and just shifting the information and presentations to another larger drive.
In my experience, and I don't mean to sound like any type of authority, I have always had success following the manufacturer's recommendations for replacing drives with larger drives.

In the past a CD was part of the package for initializing the drive, formatting the drive, partitioning the drive, and cloning the smaller drive to the new drive. They now do most of this from the support page of the manufacturer, including showing and explaining the master versus slave relationship in the beginning and upon completion.

If it were me under your described conditions:
1. I would run a register edit program, a spyware program, your antivirus program, and then defrag the drive getting ready for the clone process....basically cleaning the garbage from the drive that others have mentioned.

2. Get the downloads from the manufacturer's site for the cloning process (sometimes called support tools to put on a floppy or CD) and proceed under their directions. I have also been successful using a DOS version of Ghost when replacing out of lease computers with replacement units using the same operating system.

3. If changing OS, then a data backup, fresh install, and re-installation of programs are the best route to take if for no other reason than when you are finished with all of this, and everything works as it should, you can then create a restore point that is fresh and clean from the garbage these computers seem to accumulate over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back