Help with GeForce 7600 GS AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomja

hey ive been having some SERIOUS problems with my graphic card... I am writing this in safe mode now :'(

well now to the problem

i got a geforce 7600 GS for AGP slots and i got some wierd blue dots all over my screen and it wont dissapear even thoose i got all the updates including direct X 10. This is my setup

CPU: 2.0GHz AMD athlon(tm) 64+ processor 3000+
RAM: 1GB
power supply: unfortonally i couldnt find any info on my power supply on the side of it but lets just assume that its compatible with the card since this video card HAVE worked before
service pack: Service pack 2

I guess thats about it...

and i will upload a picture. and my card have worked just fine before with wow and cod 4 but now it just freezes my computer and i get blue dots everywere. When i start my computer in normal mode it gets SLOW AS HELL i cant even open the start menu without having to wait for like 5 minutes

PLEASE HELP ME TYVM IN ADVANCE! http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6140/66809578.png

Silicon breaks down over time (cpu, gpu), capacitors dry out, fans get brittle, thermal paste gets hard and doesn't transfer heat anymore.

The picture seems to indicate either a driver issue or an overheating issue. If you've had the card for a while you might want to take it out and clean the fan and heat sink. If it was working before with older drivers you might want to go back to them. If it's a new video card you might have a bad video card or an insufficient power supply.

There are a bunch of causes of this on-screen "artifacting." The very first thing to try is completely wiping the display drivers and downloading and installing new ones from www.nvidia.com, or the card manufacturer's website. Secondly, if the card is getting hot, the cooler may need to be cleaned of dust or new thermal, as tek mentioned, may need to be reapplied. use rivatuner to monitor core temps and adjust fan speed accordingly...

Silicon breaks down over time (cpu, gpu), capacitors dry out, fans get brittle, thermal paste gets hard and doesn't transfer heat anymore.

The picture seems to indicate either a driver issue or an overheating issue. If you've had the card for a while you might want to take it out and clean the fan and heat sink. If it was working before with older drivers you might want to go back to them. If it's a new video card you might have a bad video card or an insufficient power supply.

ok so now about the fans erhm i dont see any fans all thoose im pretty shure it will need one since i felt it after turn the computer off and i got HOT... anyway heres i a picture of it

http://www.appinformatica.com/imf/tarjetas-graficas-gigabyte-geforce-7600gs-256mb-agp-1g.jpg

tyvm in advance

I see it's a fanless version. From what I've read fanless video card require a lot of air circulation through the case. Try taking the side of the case off and pointing a portable fan towards the video card on high. If that makes the card work properly then you have a heat problem (whick is fixable). If it doesn't make a difference then the videocard is probably worn out. Check around where the video card is plugged in and look for any discoloration on the motherboard. If there is discoloration (especially if it looks darker) the heat of the videocard might have cooked the motherboard. In that case it's time to buy a new computer.

I see it's a fanless version. From what I've read fanless video card require a lot of air circulation through the case. Try taking the side of the case off and pointing a portable fan towards the video card on high. If that makes the card work properly then you have a heat problem (whick is fixable). If it doesn't make a difference then the videocard is probably worn out. Check around where the video card is plugged in and look for any discoloration on the motherboard. If there is discoloration (especially if it looks darker) the heat of the videocard might have cooked the motherboard. In that case it's time to buy a new computer.

OK TYVMQ Ill try it tommorrow! gtg bed

Also DX10 is not for XP!!! Having it only increases your chances of having problems with a card that does not support DX10.

Your card is most certainly dying, my 7600GT died with red dots instead, but nonetheless it sounds very similar.

Also DX10 is not for XP!!! Having it only increases your chances of having problems with a card that does not support DX10.

This is correct. Either you are mistaken and don't have DX10, or you put some hacked version on and in that case it isn't even worth trying to help you because we have no guarantee it isn't caused by your hacked up DX10.

Do the colors happen as soon as it enters Windows? or is it always like that? Download and boot from a linux disk like Ubuntu, or puppy linux, or any 'live' linux cd you want. If it does it in linux it is a hardware issue, possibly temp related, so try with a fan blowing into the side of your case.

If it doesn't do it in linux, I think it can still be a hardware problem, but it probably is driver/software related.

This is correct. Either you are mistaken and don't have DX10, or you put some hacked version on and in that case it isn't even worth trying to help you because we have no guarantee it isn't caused by your hacked up DX10.

Do the colors happen as soon as it enters Windows? or is it always like that? Download and boot from a linux disk like Ubuntu, or puppy linux, or any 'live' linux cd you want. If it does it in linux it is a hardware issue, possibly temp related, so try with a fan blowing into the side of your case.

If it doesn't do it in linux, I think it can still be a hardware problem, but it probably is driver/software related.

ok so well i do think that its the graphic card thats the problem and i didnt really get the linux things but well anyway there is no space in the computer to put a fan that aims directly to the card bu i did try to put it on some piece of rubber induer the fan ontop on another sound card i think it is... anyway it was aiming directly towards the card and it didnt help. I also downloaded fan speed but i couldnt start it in safe mode and when i got to the ormal it went slow as hell and it showed some burn marks on some stuffs wich aint good but well well ill better get to thoose other warm stuffs after ive fixed my graphic card

keep up the posts tyvm in advance

You never responded to the DX10 thing. How did you get DX10 on your system?

Also on your desktop screen shot the bottom icon is for a compressed folder called xpcrack? If this is a cracked copy of XP, then there's no telling what you have on there. My son installed a DX10 hack for his XP Pro that trashed the whole system I had to reinstall the OS.

Wow what a terrible color for a motherboard, it's impossible to tell any sort of burn marks since they're usually brown. After reading the last post I looked at you're original picture and it looks like you're running a non legit version of windows. Depending on it's source it could have all sorts of nasty spyware, virus and malware (I know I tried several gamer versions of xp before I just bought a copy). That can cause all sorts of incompatibilities and slowdowns. If the version worked perfectly fine before, you need to buy a new video card. They're aren't many that make agp cards anymore but you should be able to find something.

I think if you really want to confirm or rule out a hardware issue, you need to use a live linux distro, they aren't difficult to get/use. The default current Ubuntu dl is live, so I'd just get that, its pretty useful for diagnosing hardware issues.

Although burn marks sound bad.

And hacked up versions of software/operating systems doesn't help much in diagnosing because the problem could literally be anywhere, this is why being able to boot into another OS is so useful.

ok so heres the thing the direct x 10 i got from the direct x website... and the XP has nothing to do with it since ive reinstalled it before i had a legit vista ultimate same porblem there with the dots the xp crack is just something i wanned to try but its not XPs fault since i had th same problem with vista and windows 7(yesyes i know that windows 7 havent gotten out yet but i got it from my fathers friend who worked at microsoft)

and no burn marks inside the computer ive checked everything for that

anything else??

ooh and yeah the linux thingy idk how to do it do i need a linux CD? do i have to boot from it is there a guide for this??? and i cant get into windows normally it just laggs up

Yes the operating system will run off the CD without having to install it. Just set it to boot from CD

ok so thanks im downloading now at my moms computer so it goes in like 1 mb per sec like 13 minutes then i will burn it using power iso (most easy for me) tyvm ill try as soon as its done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back