Solved Help with rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

4lawson

I have a Toshiba S1410/2410 that lost some files and need to be reinstalled the windows XP. Everything will be great if I had a DVD CDROM that works. I have the original CD's to install but it not help me. Can I use floppy disks? Can somebody tell me what can I do, besides getting another laptop?

Thank you:wave:

Your Toshiba MAY have recovery partition...

Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.

...I tried..

I have now this message

Windows could not start because the following file is missin or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair\

ughhh...:eek:

I could hear the beeping, and then the just the Toshiba icon followed very fast by the message I reproduced for you.

Yeah, it looks like either system files corruption, or master boot record is messed up.
Unfortunately, without working CD drive, I don't see any way, we can do anything here.
Unless your BIOS allows to boot from an external USB device.

ughhh..no way to use floppy disks?.
honest I don't know what kind of CD drive I need to replace the one existent..this laptop is so old ... but I cannot afford exactly now another one..ughhh...I have school stuff in ...

Thank you so much ,

I'm sorry to hear it :(
Since the laptop is old, most likely, it doesn't allow booting from external USB device.
I really have no idea, what else could be done.

May I ask two:blush:more questions?
1. what kind of DVD-cd I need
and
2. is any place where I can find parts? something cheap just good to recover what I have on laptop

Toshiba Satellite 1410/2410

Thank you,
:eek:

Not yet, because i was at work. ...as I am not even close to be a IT tech...I need to see if I can do it; looks very eassy...but I don't think it's so eassy.
I will let you know.

Thanks again,

:blush:

Ok...I am thinking to much...for the Toshiba I need a 5.25"EIDE 8X maxDVD-ROM 12.7 mm height 100ms DVD-ROM random access time and ..I found a TEAC DV-28E DVD=ROM drive 8X Notebook 128x12.7x129.4 mm
Can I replace the one in the laptop with the TEAC?

It has a good price 20$ and I have been told that works ( used), If you tell that is okay I will buy and then I will try the big experience of my life : changing this part on the notebook...If I was smarter I was going for IT not for nursing :).

Replacing DVD drive is really not a big deal. Usually, you remove one holding screw and you pop it out.
Where did you find the drive?

Thank you. I will buy ..hope you are here for me when I have to change. I am really very impressed for all the help you give me,

Thank you

Today I opend the notebook, with fear, curiosity and a little bit of crazzyness.
Inside I found a TEAC DW-224E-34. I hope that the one I just buyed on e-bay it will be good enough to replace this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back