hey guys

i am new in here.not sure if i shud post this here..anyways here goes
i am having a very strange problem with my machine
this is my specs

amd 64 bit 4000+
asus M2A-VM motherboard
amd 690G chipset
2 gig ram ddr2

i recently had an issue with low vcore voltage ( was 1.1v)
i changed my psu and got a new one
now it is 1.3v

but my pc keeps going off every 25 - 30 minutes
each time it goes of , there is no BOD , the monitor simply switches of , the turbo light of the cpu remains red for a long time (5) minutes and the cpu would not start even on power on. After 5 minutes it would start normally and the whole process is repeated...

i was wondering if u guys have any idea what i should do ?

currently vcore voltage in the bios shows 1.33v
is it the vcore voltage ? is der some problem with my cpu ? or my mobo ?

thanks in advance
gokul

You could have damaged your CPU (they tend to have intermittant faults when faulty)

The best wat to tell, is go into CMOS, and wait for it to restart. If it doesn't, it might be Windows software related.

You must eliminate the software, before confirming the hardware is faulty.
ie Up date drivers
Service Packs
Remove addon hardwares
Run memtest
etc etc

You could have damaged your CPU (they tend to have intermittant faults when faulty)

The best wat to tell, is go into CMOS, and wait for it to restart. If it doesn't, it might be Windows software related.

You must eliminate the software, before confirming the hardware is faulty.
ie Up date drivers
Service Packs
Remove addon hardwares
Run memtest
etc etc

thanks so much for ur prompt resonse.. i din quite understand by what you meant by go to cmos and wait for it to restart..
u mean i shud go to the bios setup before booting and then restart ?

more information from my side incase it helps

i have the latest hardware drivers
i havnt updated bios as of now but i doubt tht will solve my problem
i have scaned for any kind of spyware or malware.
im using windows vista ultimate 64 bit version and ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron 64 bit version

im using the grub boot manager.

i have the same problem with both linux and vista , so i think that should fairly eliminate any software related issue.

ps. i have turned off automatic restart on system crash in vista

is it neccessary for me to do this ?

or is the problem elsewhere ? my classmate suggested that my power supply might be leaking..can it be true ? if so how do i ascertain ?

regards
gokul

i recently had an issue with low vcore voltage ( was 1.1v)
i changed my psu and got a new one
now it is 1.3v

but my pc keeps going off every 25 - 30 minutes

I was under the impression that you had replaced the powersupply, due to this error

Have you only started receiving this issue, since replacing the PSU?

If so, then certainly test with another PowerSupply, or return yours under warranty
I would not purchase a PSU tester, (because it's basically a one time use for you)
But they can be found at most retailers, if you want to try

thanks so much for ur prompt resonse.. i din quite understand by what you meant by go to cmos and wait for it to restart..
u mean i shud go to the bios setup before booting and then restart ?

He means yes, go into the BIOS set up and then sit in front of it until it restarts by itself.

okay i can try that..go to bios and sit in front of it until it restarts by itself.

but sometimes when i try to boot , the machine just conks off while im in the bios.

that is why i assumed its a hardware related issue.

i will check if it restarts by itself and return back
thank u very much
cheers

There is no test for the power supply unless u want to buy the machine and I do not have a link, but it sure sounds like a failing PSU. if u get a new one get a good reputable one as the psu is the heart of any computer. Corsair, OCZ, PCPower and Cooling, Zalman, FSP Group, Antec are good ones.

if your in the BIOS and it 'conks off' then its hardware. From there we can all probably whittle the problem down to a cause

well now its behaving erratically...no issues since the past 17 hours of using...its switching on and off perfectly..
working fine on both vista and ubuntu...
although asus probe still shows the vcore voltage 1.12 while the bios shows in the hardware monitor 1.32

i know i keep talking in circles ..but again..is the final vote on " buying a new psu ?"
or shud i get my board checked since its under warranty ?

i mean its weird now that suddenly its not switchin off every 20 minutes

it leaves me confused and worried whether to do anythin about the problem that was happening before or just forget about it and carry on...

If a part is under warranty and you suspect a fault then exchange it for a new one. It wont cost you anything if you have the time. That's what they're for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back