Help with very low FPS with a Radeon 4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknight06

I'm trying to create a gaming machine on a budget. Before I was using a Radeon HD 3650 which pretty much didn't allow for much, primary game being WoW. In the past week I have upgraded from 667 DDR2 Ram to 2gb of 800 DDR2, switched to a new motherboard (in my system specs dropdown) as well as a 630W PSU from a 450W PSU.

I've gotten everything up and running but when I go to play games, I still cannot get out of 20fps when playing WoW even when OC'd and when I look at sample benchmarks from this specific card i should be getting MUCH better.

With everything I've changed out, I'm only left with the fact that I have an old CRT monitor and I'm using a Intel Celeron D 356 3.33GHZ processor. Can either of those be the issue at this point or could there be something else that I am possibly missing?

Help!

Ok, first thing;
it looks like your mobo has onboard graphics, is it definitely disabled?
If so, are you using the latest catalysts for your 4850?
I don't think your cpu would be a bottleneck for WOW gaming, but i don't play WOW so can't say for certain.
What res are you gaming at? is AA and AF on?

Ok, first thing;
it looks like your mobo has onboard graphics, is it definitely disabled?
If so, are you using the latest catalysts for your 4850?
I don't think your cpu would be a bottleneck for WOW gaming, but i don't play WOW so can't say for certain.
What res are you gaming at? is AA and AF on?

It is disabled, I am using the latest catalyst drivers and I'm gaming at 1024X768 with no options for AA or AF.

removed comment :D

Lol, sorry . Err, i'm not sure what else to suggest. You got any other apps running in the background that could take up cpu power? background AV scanning etc?

:D

Lol, sorry . Err, i'm not sure what else to suggest. You got any other apps running in the background that could take up cpu power? background AV scanning etc?

Just firefox and the game. Gonna delete the drivers, run a driversweeper and reinstall, only thing i can think of now.

aaawww....moddage! Bah!! :stickout:

you could check what processes are running, see if anything is hogging cpu usage even though no apps appear to be running.

I suppose basic things like, chkdsk -f, then defrag.

When you switched to a new mobo, did you do a windows repair or complete reinstall?

aaawww....moddage! Bah!! :stickout:

you could check what processes are running, see if anything is hogging cpu usage even though no apps appear to be running.

I suppose basic things like, chkdsk -f, then defrag.

When you switched to a new mobo, did you do a windows repair or complete reinstall?

It was the same motherboard type, I just had to RMA the original so I didn't repair or reinstall. And nothing seems to be hogging cpu usage.

Edit: I did some more digging and it may be an issue exclusive to WoW, I will need to test some other games before I can say for sure there is an issue with the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back