Help with WD external drive

zag1402

hi all
ok so basically i have a wd external drive it was unpluged by mistake
now it will not opperate on the pc it was on but if i plug it in to the laptop it works ok ???
what can i do to fix this

Still trying to get this sorted, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts on how to be able to get things up and working right again???

Have you checked first in device manager? Are you seeing a disk drive appear/disappear in DevMgr as you plug/unplug the cable (does device manager detect it?)

See if this might help [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

thanks for your replt, just checked on device manager WDsmartware comes up, and then displays *the application has encountered an unexpected error*, but when I plug it into the laptop it comes up okay.

Here's a few thoughts and related links i found

1. Uninstall old USB storage drivers (per link in my last post)

2. Uninstall WDSmartware from your machine see HERE . (that App error message probably means the current install is corrupt)

3. There's also a new firmware version for the WD drive HERE (just released 3/2011)

Also take a look HERE about reinstalling (if you really want WDSmartware or if you want it. I don't know anything about it, myself)

Back