Here's what the secret Craigslist for the one percent looks like

Shawn Knight

Staff member

secret craigslist rich people

Craigslist is a great way to find stuff at a bargain or make some quick cash by offloading stuff you no longer need or want. But for the opulent among us looking to buy or sell high-end goods, there's a better choice out there that most ordinary people aren't even aware of.

POSH is described as a Craigslist for the rich. It can only be accessed through the Bloomberg Terminal, a trading and research service that is used to analyze the financial markets in real-time. The service is offered via subscription model which will set you back a cool $24,000 annually.

That fact alone pretty much means POSH is off-limits to everyone except the one percent.

For those that do have access, however, there's a wealth of high-end luxury items up for sale. Things like private jets, diamond rings, Rolex watches, exotic and rare cars and even multi-million dollar mansions litter the rudimentary looking classified section.

You can even purchase a medieval castle in Italy complete with olive orchard, vineyard, private golf course, tennis club, guest houses and a helipad. The price? Just north of $27 million.

With a name like POSH and the fact that it's only accessible through an expensive subscription, you'd expect the site to at least offer a modern web design. But as you can see from the screenshots, that certainly isn't the case.

Permalink to story.

The service is offered via subscription model which will set you back a cool $24,000 annually. That fact alone pretty much means POSH is off-limits to everyone except the one percent.
Or set your company back $24,000 annually. A Bloomberg license is very expensive, but I bet very few people buy their own. I work about 15 ft from a Bloomberg terminal and I'm no member of the 1%. It's also most likely called POSH because Bloomberg works off 4 letter menu codes. They would have need a 4 letter name.

I do think it's funny though that this system was pretty much designed to be used only at work. :)

The service is offered via subscription model which will set you back a cool $24,000 annually. That fact alone pretty much means POSH is off-limits to everyone except the one percent.
Or set your company back $24,000 annually. A Bloomberg license is very expensive, but I bet very few people buy their own. I work about 15 ft from a Bloomberg terminal and I'm no member of the 1%. It's also most likely called POSH because Bloomberg works off 4 letter menu codes. They would have need a 4 letter name.

I do think it's funny though that this system was pretty much designed to be used only at work. :)

Assuming that you're mostly self-made, that's how you become part of the elite: you're ALWAYS working even when you're not.

"That fact alone pretty much means POSH is off-limits to everyone except the one percent."

So, basically, most people can't afford the door fee for a marketplace full of items they can't afford. Therefore, injustice. At least, that's how this entire piece reads to me.

As for the basic nature of the interface... Nobody working with financial & business information wants to be dealing with a bunch of pretty interfaces and graphics. Save that noise for PowerPoint presentations.

"That fact alone pretty much means POSH is off-limits to everyone except the one percent."

So, basically, most people can't afford the door fee for a marketplace full of items they can't afford. Therefore, injustice. At least, that's how this entire piece reads to me.

As for the basic nature of the interface... Nobody working with financial & business information wants to be dealing with a bunch of pretty interfaces and graphics. Save that noise for PowerPoint presentations.

Noise? You can create stunning visuals with minimalistic input which does not take away from the usability of the UI.

Noise? You can create stunning visuals with minimalistic input which does not take away from the usability of the UI.

In my experience (I'm an independent derivatives trader), and from what I've gathered from those who have trained me, "stunning visuals" are, by and large, noise. If it doesn't improve the readability and delivery of the information, it needs to be killed.

Mileage and condition aren't even listed. Maseratis go for under $30k all the time to people who want to be able to say they own one.

If you don't mind the maintenance, a decent Quattroporte isn't a bad choice as a used car. The exhaust note alone is worth the money.

It's injustice and discriminatory at best. It seems like it's just fine for the 1% to discriminate and look down their noses at us. All my life I was taught all people are created equal and not to discriminate but I guess that's wrong now.

If someone wants to pay 2 grand a year for access to an online classifieds section, by all means. Its not discrimination or injustice. I could charge 10 grand a month for access to a similar site. Maybe I should.

In my experience (I'm an independent derivatives trader), and from what I've gathered from those who have trained me, "stunning visuals" are, by and large, noise. If it doesn't improve the readability and delivery of the information, it needs to be killed.

I agree to an extent that having amazing visuals is rather useless but many new panels have been improving in this department. Of course it's not needed and for a company to pay a designer its rather waste of resources however as I have said, there are many designers which can improve the visuals and overall the UI experience without making it seem like "noise".

Back