Hey guys, need some advice/help on increasing my gaming experience

I play League Of Legends often, or use to, and recently my computer took a crapper on me. I am not wanting to buy a new one and I have no clue what is wrong with the other one. It will no longer show any view on the monitor. Still powers on but I get no display. I am using a labtop Acer 4330 and was wondering if I can increase my FPS cheaper by either buying something for this labtop, or fixing my computer.

Labtop Processor - Genuine Intel (R) 575 @ 2.00 GHz, ~ 2.0GHz
Memory- 1978 MB Ram

I am not very computer smart but any insight you guys can offer is greatly appreciated! If you need any more information please let me know. I won't be able to tell you anything about the desktop as I can get any display. Thanks!

Your probably maxed out with 2GB of memory (64MB taken for the video) How big is the hard drive, and how much free space is left? What version of Windows are you running?

Is the broken computer a desktop or a laptop? There is not much else you can do with that Acer laptop

If the on-board graphics is what has failed on the desktop, you can add a good PCI or PCIe graphics card and it might run fine...

If the on-board graphics is what has failed on the desktop, you can add a good PCI or PCIe graphics card and it might run fine...

Well I have a feeling the tower works to be honest. I had just replaced the power supply and the only issue its having is no display. I didn't put the computer together but if you can tell me what the video card would look like or say on it I could find it and replace it

A faster GPU is usually a better upgrade for a desktop in that case, since most lappies don't offer a chance to upgrade them.

Apart from what Tmagic650 and Marnomancer are driving at -- checking your graphics hardware, that is -- perhaps you should also check whether the problem lies with your monitor? I make the suggestion because -- as you say -- the desktop still powers on. If so, then there just might be a chance that it is your monitor that's blown, maybe? Did your desktop "act up" before the signal was lost? Beeping sounds at boot? Garbled images? Or did it just happen without warning?

If you know anyone from whom you can borrow a monitor, then you can hook your system up to it -- just to make sure. Otherwise, yeah, time for a nice GPU upgrade.

Apart from what Tmagic650 and Marnomancer are driving at -- checking your graphics hardware, that is -- perhaps you should also check whether the problem lies with your monitor? I make the suggestion because -- as you say -- the desktop still powers on. If so, then there just might be a chance that it is your monitor that's blown, maybe? Did your desktop "act up" before the signal was lost? Beeping sounds at boot? Garbled images? Or did it just happen without warning?

If you know anyone from whom you can borrow a monitor, then you can hook your system up to it -- just to make sure. Otherwise, yeah, time for a nice GPU upgrade.

Good point, Dawn.
To the original poster: Were there any visible/audible anomalies (distinguishable from strange graphic artifacts) before this? Even a power surge/fluctuation can be lethal for an LCD it that case, loose connections included. I've seen that in action.
So as Dawn said, diagnose your monitor (and all other graphic and power components) individually before you invest in anything.

Remove and reseat all your desktop PC hardware, most importantly, RAM and Video Card. Make sure your monitor is hooked up to the correct video output. (sometimes you might have several outputs to choose from). Lastly, since you don't sound confident in your hardware knowledge, invite a computer savvy person over to watch the game and ask them to take a look at it. If they're anything like us, they'll dive right in to help you, and it'll only cost a few beers.

Sorry folks, but let's just cut to the quick shall we! Cody do you have another monitor? Be it another LCD or old school tube type? If so, please disconnect your currently in question monitor and hook up another one that you may have. If the newly hooked up monitor is now behaving like it should and works to your expectations, than the problem is solved, and it's simply a monitor issue, the one you were using is on it's way out or has just checked out all together. But if by happens chance the spare test monitor doesn't work, or behaves like the regular one did, than we have proceeded into this being a video solution problem. But please, when doing all of this, benken2202001 has a good point and that is "Make sure your monitor is hooked up to the correct video output."! Please, just take your time, be mindful of what your doing, and make sure everything get's connected properly. So do a test monitor check and get back with us!

Back