HGST launches Ultrastar C10K1800, world's highest capacity and best performing 10K RPM HDD

Shawn Knight

Staff member

hgst ultrastar c10k1800

Solid state drives may have upended mechanical drives in terms of sheer speed but traditional hard drives aren't giving up without a fight. The latest example of this is HGST's new Ultrastar C10K1800 drive, billed as the world's highest capacity and highest performing 10K RPM hard drive.

In a press release on the matter, HGST (a Western Digital company) said the new enterprise-class drive combines high capacity with a significant improvement in both random write and sequential performance for mission-critical storage applications.

The C10K1800 is a 1.8TB drive stuffed into a 2.5-inch form factor with platters spinning at 10,000 RPM. It uses HGST's media cache architecture which uses a portion of the platters as a drive cache. This technology provides a boost of up to 2.5X in random write performance and a 23 percent improvement in sequential performance over prior generation 2.5-inch SFF 10K drives.

The drive is also more power efficient than previous generations. According to HGST, it's capable of providing up to a seven percent improvement in active and idle power savings.

HGST's latest uses the 12Gbps SAS interface but even still, it's really no match for a typical SSD. The drive features a latency average of 2.85ms with a maximum sustained transfer rate of 247MB/sec. What it does offer, however, is more value in terms of capacity versus price.

The Ultrastar C10K1800 drive is now shipping and is being qualified by select OEMs.

Permalink to story.

Bahh who cares (no pun intented to the author), it's time to stop making spinners; they have too many problems and wear out. We replace "enterprise class" HD's from our QNAPS all the time.
Within 24 months SSD technology will be so good and prices so cheap I can't see these things being made much longer.
But...there are still people using VCR's so at the same time, it won't surprise me to see spinners around for many more years.

Within 24 months SSD technology will be so good and prices so cheap I can't see these things being made much longer.

With the big demand on memory and both ram and ssds prices, I doubt it very much that it will be cheaper any time soon.

Bahh who cares (no pun intented to the author), it's time to stop making spinners; they have too many problems and wear out. We replace "enterprise class" HD's from our QNAPS all the time.
But...there are still people using VCR's so at the same time, it won't surprise me to see spinners around for many more years.
Yeah but data centers and servers can't migrate to SSDs overnight. A massive infrastructure change takes time. Plus high capacity HDDs will be here for years to come until SSDs reach such capacities at cheap prices. Especially with 4K coming, we will need the capacity, but we must wait and see whether SSDs keep up with the downward price trend.

That sustained Read Speed is almost maxing out the SataII interface, I thought I'd never see the day xD

I'm one of those interested in this drive, I love my Velociraptor, If only they made a 2TB (1.8TB is close enough) version...

That sustained Read Speed is almost maxing out the SataII interface, I thought I'd never see the day xD

I'm one of those interested in this drive, I love my Velociraptor, If only they made a 2TB (1.8TB is close enough) version...

Totally agree, but again the prices for any 10k hdd's are quite expensive these days, into the teritorry of ssd's but with the extra capacity.

I've been using the same hard drive for many many years now without any problems (probably well over 5 years, maybe more, I honestly forget now). 500G SATA drive, speed is fine, though I will need to upgrade it soon, I am running out of space. I will probably look into this drive, it will be cheaper and I honestly don't trust SSDs for daily use. Backups, yes, daily use might have issues from what I have heard.

And yeah, I also still use (and prefer) a VCR, I have much fewer problems with it. :)

Agreed with SSD's continuing to get larger and cheaper this isn't that big of a deal.

As someone that owned a Gen2 Raptor 74GB many years ago I still like seeing that they continue to improve on them those numbers for a spinner are great.

I'm sorry, but SSD's still have many problems. Namingly, the price per gigabyte problem. This is a great solution to those who need quick storage, but not blazing fast speeds. I still have my 150gb raptor from 2006 and it's running strong to this day. I have a 1tb 7200rpm HDD for storage, a 60GB SSD for my OS and I use my 150GB raptor for games.

I just don't think you understand the market that "spinners" are aimed at. They are aimed at long term storage for consumers who don't need to access it quickly. For people storing photos, videos, ect, I see no need for SSD's. The Speed of an SSD is only useful for two things in the consumer market. Boot times and Load times in videogames. Neither of which aren't worth paying a premium in any budget minded consumer around.

Sorry, I'll stick to my HDD's for long term storage.

"spinners" will be around for quite awhile longer for the same reason companies still use magnetic tapes for long term storage. The Price per GB will always be lower than an SSD just like the price per GB For HDD's will always be lower on magnetic tape.

Guy's, the article says it's SAS interface. Not suitable for the standard PC or notebook...

^ Guest

That is why it is enterprise-class and it is not like there is no SAS RAID Controller for PCIE

I
Sorry, I'll stick to my HDD's for long term storage.
Todays SSD's last longer then the best spinners, and have way better power and load efficiency. They have passed spinners in all categories except price and size, and the size advantage won't last forever.

The size advantage will last forever. well, as long as a company is putting money into spinner tech.

I've yet to buy an SSD, and I've got no complaints. sure I've had a drive or two die on me over the years, decades actually, but I still trust them more than SSD tech. A good friend of mine works in IT and he told me that they have seen massive SSD failures over the years at his place of work. much higher than any of the old school spinners. SSDs do wear out, and slow down. SSDs look okay for power savings in something like a laptop, but even then it's not a great improvement from what I've seen.

The technology is getting better you may be up to 1000000 reads and writes.
You need to catch up on your research, your comment looks like its from 2011.
The writes are in the millions/billions now.

They will last much longer then spinners, with better speeds, while using less power.

SSDs look okay for power savings in something like a laptop, but even then it's not a great improvement from what I've seen.
Comparing the speeds of a SSD to a spinner is like racing a Cobalt against a Corvette. If you don't know how insanely fast and responsive an SSD makes your system, your well behind the times.

The only reason I like SSD is it brings hard drives prices down. hahahahaha. That is the only reason ssd is good. SSD has limited number of writes. 100,000 where hard drive read and write to same block is in the billions. Not even a comparison. Why clueless people gravitate to them is beyond me. Speed. I guess speed is great. But loosing all your data is even greater. hahahaha. SSD data recovery = not a chance in hell. Hard drive data recovery = great chance. or not necessary in raid. Also SSD raid what are the chances of both SSD going bad at the same time in the same place for they both have the same read write limitation. 100% hahahaha. So you can't even raid these things thinking that you will save your self. hahahahaha. Hard drive raid makes sense since in hard drive the failure is random since it has no read write limit so marked as the SSD.

Wow what is the latest version of windows os. I answer 8.1 and that is wrong. hahahaha. It takes 8. hahahaha. I thought that bringing back the start button was pretty major for anyone. hahaha.

The only reason I like SSD is it brings hard drives prices down. hahahahaha. That is the only reason ssd is good. SSD has limited number of writes. 100,000 where hard drive read and write to same block is in the billions. Not even a comparison. Why clueless people gravitate to them is beyond me. Speed. I guess speed is great. But loosing all your data is even greater. hahahaha.

I think the cynical guest needs to be aware, there was an actual SSD endurance test that shows terabytes of use, before actually cracking under the strain of wear and tear. If you're looking to use them for heavy work in this regard, I think you're underestimating an SSD honestly. They have reserve space for a reason and honestly, seeing them soldier on towards 500-600TB is impressive none the less.

I highly doubt in your entire time of using it, you would likely be pushing this much onto an SSD in a consumer PC. This was also uncompressed data thrown at them, so really are we going to just act like SSDs are a terrible thing? Yes we all know HDDs are going to remain around, but still throwing them under the bus claiming they suck is quite stupid. Yes the tests were limited to only 6 different SSDs but regardless of that, it shows they can be quite durable regardless.

Take it how you want, but both are here to stay regardless of interests.

Yes I mentioned that endurance test that went all the way up to a petabyte, but it seems all you need to do is say id I ot and to tell someone to get their head off their arse to be censored and to have posts deleted. Thank you mods.

The SSD vs HDD debate is like the old flat panel vs CRT argument. Does anyone use a CRT anymore?

The size advantage will last forever. well, as long as a company is putting money into spinner tech.

I've yet to buy an SSD, and I've got no complaints. sure I've had a drive or two die on meanover the years, decades actually, but I still trust them more than SSD tech. A good friend of mine works in IT and he told me that they have seen massive SSD failures over the years at his place of work. much higher than any of the old school spinners. SSDs do wear out, and slow down. SSDs look okay for power savings in something like a laptop, but even then it's not a great improvement from what I've seen.

Unless your friend actually gave you more info about those failures that can mean anything. How do we know those weren't a bunch of OCZ drives? SSD's do wear out and so do hard drive from mechanical faliures, Hard drives down when close to full capacity and so do SSD's but guess which drive will still be faster when almost full?

There is more to SSD's than power savings and the fact that you don't own one shows this. You opinion will carry more weight when you have actually owned one.

Last edited:
The only reason I like SSD is it brings hard drives prices down. hahahahaha. That is the only reason ssd is good. SSD has limited number of writes. 100,000 where hard drive read and write to same block is in the billions. Not even a comparison. Why clueless people gravitate to them is beyond me. Speed. I guess speed is great. But loosing all your data is even greater. hahahaha. SSD data recovery = not a chance in hell. Hard drive data recovery = great chance. or not necessary in raid. Also SSD raid what are the chances of both SSD going bad at the same time in the same place for they both have the same read write limitation. 100% hahahaha. So you can't even raid these things thinking that you will save your self. hahahahaha. Hard drive raid makes sense since in hard drive the failure is random since it has no read write limit so marked as the SSD.

Another guy that has outdated information and has no clue what he is talking about.

Time to educate yourself

http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-update

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

Anyone using Raid and not using proper backups is a dumb ***! regardless of SSD's in raid or Hard drives in raid.

Examples are also clueless

"Hard drive raid makes sense since in hard drive the failure is random since it has no read write limit so marked as the SSD."

If any drives fails in the Raid 0 setup regardless of SSD or HDD the whole array is gone!

If you go Raid 0+1 then it doesn't matter now.

Oddly, you guys must get all the bad ones. The lowly WD 160 GB Caviar Blue that came with my 10 year old eMachines is still going strong. And it's seen things no creature with a trace of decency should ever be exposed to. Thanks again for weedin' out the duds for me.:p

VCRs, really? Was that an argument you felt obligated to include?

And BTW, those low prices you're predicting may just be bait. As soon as it drops too low, all of a sudden the "supplies will dry up". Compare the price of DDR3 today as opposed to a year and a half or so ago. Nowadays, it be bout double wut it was then.

Another guy that has outdated information and has no clue what he is talking about
Sometimes when you see the poster's name is "guest", it's easier on your nerves if you simply stop reading right then and there.

Totally agree, but again the prices for any 10k hdd's are quite expensive these days, into the teritorry of ssd's but with the extra capacity.
Newegg panics and blows out the V-raps from time to time. A 600GB cost me a hundred bucks, and the newer 500GB not too much more @$120.00

Last edited:
Well I love my 3.2 terabyte ssd drives. I got 4 of them in raid 0,1. So I have 6.4 tera mirrored. Oh by the way each of these drives cost 14000 still so don't recumbent it for you foks that live paycheck to paycheck. hahahaha. Also you can buy the helium filled hard drives at 6 tera. They are cheaper from 299 to 550 on amazon. I just don't understand since when did it become the problem biggest to wait 2 minutes for a boot up. It is way better to have a 10 second wait but when the drive fails loose all at once with no warning. I had 3 ssd drives fail on me before I realized so I will blink 4 times while opening a program instead of 1. Big deal. Also store 4 tbs of info for 139 bucks instead of having 8 500 gig drives for 3200. Oh buy the way my first 240 ssd drive fail in about an hour. All it took is me installing osx and after it failed on the reboot to run the os for the first time in a mac book. I took it back and for 1/3 the price I got instead of the 240 gig a 1 tb hitachi drive. spinner but it still works after 3 years. This was in 2011. I think it was a sandisk the best flash brands you could have. I have a 6 year old sd card for my camera so I could not explain the failure in the ssd drive. But you live and learn. The 3.2 tera ssds work screaming but then again do you need the speed for that kind of price. Yes I don't have anyplace else to blow my money just to piss of my wife hahahaha. She goes shopping, my response is I go shopping and since I bring the money home. I win. hahahaha.

Well I love my 3.2 terabyte ssd drives. I got 4 of them in raid 0,1. So I have 6.4 tera mirrored. Oh by the way each of these drives cost 14000 still so don't recumbent it for you foks that live paycheck to paycheck. hahahaha. Also you can buy the helium filled hard drives at 6 tera. They are cheaper from 299 to 550 on amazon. I just don't understand since when did it become the problem biggest to wait 2 minutes for a boot up. It is way better to have a 10 second wait but when the drive fails loose all at once with no warning. I had 3 ssd drives fail on me before I realized so I will blink 4 times while opening a program instead of 1. Big deal. Also store 4 tbs of info for 139 bucks instead of having 8 500 gig drives for 3200. Oh buy the way my first 240 ssd drive fail in about an hour. All it took is me installing osx and after it failed on the reboot to run the os for the first time in a mac book. I took it back and for 1/3 the price I got instead of the 240 gig a 1 tb hitachi drive. spinner but it still works after 3 years. This was in 2011. I think it was a sandisk the best flash brands you could have. I have a 6 year old sd card for my camera so I could not explain the failure in the ssd drive. But you live and learn. The 3.2 tera ssds work screaming but then again do you need the speed for that kind of price. Yes I don't have anyplace else to blow my money just to piss of my wife hahahaha. She goes shopping, my response is I go shopping and since I bring the money home. I win. hahahaha.
Thank you ever so much for sharing all this with us! My day really wouldn't have been complete without hearing about your individual wealth, a litany of your experiences with every HDD or SSD you've ever owned, and the socio-economic dynamic of your marriage!

Of course I really would have liked to hear about it in some form of coherent English, since your choice of the term, "recumbent" is a bit too abstruse in this syntax. Up until now, I thought it referred to a seating position. Oh well, I guess I should cut you some slack in light of the fact you've dumped such a massive quantity of largess upon us. Largesse I might add, we are very likely unworthy of receiving. For my part I'd like to add that I feel it was also completely unnecessary.

I'm off now, to begin a thread in site feedback. I think we should smear lamb's blood around the door to the server room, in an attempt to prevent you from coming back and trying to kill off the rest of our self esteem.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back