Hoin USB Thermal Receipt Printer/Made in China

Ok so I'm a newb to this forum and so happy to be here. So then, let's get right to it then, shall we?

I bought a very nice looking (and inexpensive) USB Thermal Receipt Printer brand called Hoin from Ebay and I'm relatively certain it's made in China. This USB printer comes with a little disk that has "helpful" items like the user manual, driver, and printer tools.

I'm using a Windows 7 (64 Bit) and I plug in the USB printer and immediately it pops up as "USB POS Printer" in the Unspecified category in Devices and Printers. I tried to install the Hoin driver 9 ways from Sunday using the driver file and Adding a Printer.

The Printer Tools (a separate program from the Hoin disk) has a few "ports" in a drop down menu that I must select in order to communicate to the Printer... the most prominent one being USB001, which I tried to install the driver as (virtual and local), and yet no test page prints are going thru and the Printer Tool keeps on saying "Can Not Open Communication Port".

I tried installing this printer with it's own driver (POS-80Series Ver1.1) and per something I read online, I also tried using Generic / Text Only and in both cases I do get an Icon in the Printers area, but that's about it. No successful test printing or communicating to the printer in any way from the printer.

The only thing I really need to connect the printer for is to try to upload a logo so I can bring it back to it's home, which is plugged into an Android tablet device where it will be printing receipts for a great POS app called Loyverse. I've already tested the printer out with the app and it prints well, but no LOGO. The LOGO is the difference between life and death at this point. That's what the Printer Tools is needed for. It needs to be there and this particular printer is amazing for the price, yet this stupid software issue and the communication issue preventing the Printer Tools to work is excruciating and so far... a huge waste of time.

Hence, that is why I'm here conferring with greater minds than my own. Really, this smells like a Windows 7 inadequacy. The "USB POS Printer" still remains in the Unspecified category even after I get an generic icon in Printers for POS-80Series Ver1.1, but no successful test prints. If I look inside the USB POS Printer properties I can actually try to update the driver that is in there, which is called simply "USB Printing Support" with a driver date of 6/21/2006. It says its fully updated. I also tried sending a very small .txt file to the "printer" and again it fails. It's as if there is a brick wall between my computer and the printer, even though it acknowledges the presence of a "USB POS Printer".

I'm at the end of ideas and I feel like I've tried everything I know. There are so many vast ideas I could try.. perhaps I can boot up my old computer and see if it has better luck (Windows 7 32 bit I believe), but I could waste an insurmountable quantity of time and still not have this figured out. I do pretty well if I have some idea where the issue is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Back