Honda plans to offset its US-based CO2 emissions with wind and solar energy purchases

Polycount

Staff
Green energy: Tech companies are always boasting about their green energy purchases, solar or wind farms, and other climate-related achievements, but now Honda wants to snag some of the spotlight for itself. In a blog post published today by Honda's Ryan Harty, the company revealed its plans to offset a whopping 60 percent of its US-based power usage with clean alternatives.

To accomplish this goal, Honda will be participating in two virtual power purchase agreements (VPAAs). These agreements will lead to Honda purchasing clean, renewable energy from a 120MW wind farm in Oklahoma, and a 200MW solar farm in Texas. These farms, combined with Honda's own renewable energy projects, will help to offset the carmaker's US-based carbon footprint by a significant margin.

While this does not account for all of Honda's US operations, the company does say that those two farms will offset "100 percent" of all fossil fuel-powered electricity it uses in its Ohio, Alabama, and Indiana-based auto plants.

"The clean energy does not go directly to Honda’s auto plants; instead, it goes into the electricity supply where the clean power is generated,"

To be clear, Honda will not actually be receiving this power directly. "The clean energy does not go directly to Honda’s auto plants; instead, it goes into the electricity supply where the clean power is generated," Harty explains. "Honda’s purchase of renewable energy adds more clean energy into the nation’s electricity grid."

Combined, the two farms in question will deliver roughly 1,012,000MWh to this grid on an annual basis. The Oklahoma wind farm agreement takes effect during the holiday season of 2020, and Honda will begin purchasing power from the Texas solar facility in the fall of 2021.

Honda acknowledges that the use of VPAAs is not the perfect way to reduce its carbon footprint. "Ideally, we would purchase 100% renewable energy from our local utility, but that is not currently possible and we simply can’t wait," Harty writes. "By employing VPPAs, we are able to meet our goals today."

Image credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

It all sounds nice but the big question will be who is profiting from all of this? Sounds a bit too much like Gore's Carbon Credits and we see who got rich off that one!

In a return gesture, Ford plans to offset Japan's radiation with its rebel bumper stickers...

a8996547bb70db5df7f57412dd0b4397.jpg

It all sounds nice but the big question will be who is profiting from all of this? Sounds a bit too much like Gore's Carbon Credits and we see who got rich off that one!

Yea, good thing nobody got rich off of fossil fuels.

I wish they would get rich off nuclear power... at least that's sustainable all year round.... I mean it's not like it's dependent on battery storage, wind, or the sun.

I'm aware of those arguments... I'm also aware that they are dated and some are just hilarious like this one "2. Nuclear proliferation:"..... I have 1 answer for that North Korea has nuclear weapons without having access to nuclear power plants... if NK can do it that argument is out the window.

But I'll leave this with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciStnd9Y2ak
and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHO1ebNxhVI

Ya can't make turbines beautiful no matter what and do you think Al Gore believes in this crap? He does not. He just wants you to believe in it so you will feel good about sweating and freezing while he jets around the globe

Yea, good thing nobody got rich off of fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are a business, a business doesn't run if it doesn't make a profit. "Green energy" is a hysteria and a social justice program put forth by fearmongers the world is going to end if we don't get on board, like right now! Eventually the world will transition to alternate fuels, and it will do so when enough viable and efficient alternatives are available to replace the current infrastructure.

Fossil fuels are a business, a business doesn't run if it doesn't make a profit. "Green energy" is a hysteria and a social justice program put forth by fearmongers the world is going to end if we don't get on board, like right now! Eventually the world will transition to alternate fuels, and it will do so when enough viable and efficient alternatives are available to replace the current infrastructure.

Are you serious? "Hysteria"? That hysteria is slowly but steadily putting coal out of business. How many new Nuclear plants have gone online in the US recently? None. So it's not because of the nuke plants. Approx. 115 coal plants have been shut down (25% of them) just in the last 3 years.

I would love to know where people like you get your thoughts.

And regardless of whether folks like you believe it or not there are still many more who realize that the science on climate change\human effects has been in for decades and are bound and determined to come up with solutions that will benefit everyone.

Even people like you.

Last edited:
Back