Honeywell lays claim to the fastest quantum computer in the world

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Honeywell has made good on its promise to build the highest performing quantum computer in the world. Back in March, the multinational conglomerate said it would launch the world’s most powerful quantum computer “within the next three months.” On Thursday, it did just that with a system featuring a quantum volume of 64 – twice as powerful as the next fastest system in the industry, Honeywell claims.

Quantum volume is a measurement that takes into account the number of qubits, or quantum bits, of a machine as well error rates and the connectivity of the qubits.

For comparison, IBM’s Raleigh achieved a quantum volume of 32 earlier this year.

Tony Uttley, president of Honeywell Quantum Solutions, said the key to making their systems so powerful is having the highest quality qubits with the lowest error rates. “This is a combination of using identical, fully connected qubits and precision control,” he added.

Quantum computers abide by the curious rules of quantum physics meaning they aren’t limited to performing a single calculation at a time but can perform many calculations simultaneously. This has the potential to make them far more powerful than “classical” computers although their incredibly complex nature has thus far limited their potential to research projects. In short, researchers are still struggling to understand the intricacies of quantum computers.

And not everyone is convinced of their usefulness. Some, like physicist Michel Dyakonov from the Université Montpellier in France, believe quantum computers have limited practical appeal.

Image credit: Costex, flowgraph

Permalink to story.

...researchers are still struggling to understand the intricacies of quantum computers

So are most of IT people, nevermind everyone else. I, for one, have tried to get into that myself, but had brain overheat, and gave up in the end. And I'm an IT guy.

There is an old true saying, if you can't explain something in simple words, that means you do not understand it well enough. And that's where most of Quantum researchers are these days.

Last edited:
You guys ever had a feeling that someone somewhere will produce a faster way to compute before quantum computing is working the way people dreamed it would?

You guys ever had a feeling that someone somewhere will produce a faster way to compute before quantum computing is working the way people dreamed it would?
Those people need to wake up, and stop dreaming weird $hit like that. Then they might see quantum computers already working.

Last edited:
It's a way of saying that quantum computing is gonna be utterly useless.
The military, sports, and airplanes would beg to disagree. This type of computing is also great for economic calculations, and for medical calculations. But people need a point of reference, and everybody knows how inaccurate weather forecasting can be.

...people need a point of reference, and everybody knows how inaccurate weather forecasting can be.
And as a point of reference, I promise it will remain just as inaccurate, with all the quantum conundrum added. It is a history-proven constant.

weather forecasting is a big industry- if and when they get QC to enough bits and error correction - it will be huge - the creation of new materials , new proteins , drugs , genes, AI, statistical analysis - not just the optimum sales route problem = anything that has multiple variables, inputs .
I'm not up on all this - but humans work at the moment in guiding supercomputers in drug/chemical synthesis.
So I assume most QC in the future will be hybrids with tradition processing

OK, so you install Windows on a quantum computer.

1. It can't activate.
2. It can't update.
3. Apps, Programs, and Services freeze.
4. It's bloated.
5. Cortana is still an *****.
6. I don't use "Microsoft Pay".
7. Press and hold the Power button.
And many, many more.

Maybe we need a new operating system. Not just a quantum computer.

Pulled out of that quantum tunnel. quantum speed engaged. so where do we get one....
it would cost a h`ll of a millions to get . and you need a big space with coolant's everywhere. and -200 freezing coolant.
time travels. enterprise on 1-3x speed of light
and o.c no shields. quantum leap got a new ending finally. remake the last 6 th season ending. tanks to girl who found IT.

now we got a new imdb.com ending on quantum leap. star captain still whiteout shields only rotating shields (cant handle a torpedo direct hit)

note to getting this would cost to much in a lifetime. using that force in a quantum (leap)<pc would get a time lapse to other day living with 100 millions faster pc fps gaming rendering and so on.

connecting 100 million of 10 th gen lga 1151 1200 2066 would just be a 1 % speed burst together.

if a quantum pc can use pcie 4.0-10 pcie th gen pcie it would do the mat in a split sec or Nano sec of 100 10 th gen cpus.

I cant predict the future. so if you wanna try it do it NOW

Last edited:
weather forecasting is a big industry- if and when they get QC to enough bits and error correction - it will be huge - the creation of new materials , new proteins , drugs , genes, AI, statistical analysis - not just the optimum sales route problem = anything that has multiple variables, inputs .
I'm not up on all this - but humans work at the moment in guiding supercomputers in drug/chemical synthesis.
So I assume most QC in the future will be hybrids with tradition processing
Finally a person here who actually knows whats going on.

I don't think those will work for weather forecasting. They do a lot of calculation but they handle limited data

He probably meant "Climate" data as in studying climate change. Seen a lot of people interchange those terms without realizing. One moment you’re studying the Ice ages and then suddenly, you are talking tomorrow’s rainfall lol.

Those people need to wake up, and stop dreaming weird $hit like that. Then they might see quantum computers already working.
For years we are hearing about so many people "working" on them, even getting close to creating a functional quantum computer. But the first time I heard about someone working on them was over ten years ago! Therefore,
I do believe there is a chance some completely different technology explodes, brining in new computing speeds unseen and unimagined before.

The people who say that QC will never work, are the same kind of people who said nothing can beat the horse for delivering mail, and some of them actually still believe the Earth is flat.

Quantum computing is going to be a big breakthrough for weather forecasting.

Except it wont. The main limiting factor in forecasting is we don't know all the variables that affect it. Without knowing that, the ability to process faster won't make forecasts more accurate.

So are most of IT people, nevermind everyone else. I, for one, have tried to get into that myself, but had brain overheat, and gave up in the end. And I'm an IT guy.

There is an old true saying, if you can't explain something in simple words, that means you do not understand it well enough. And that's where most of Quantum researchers are these days.
See this is a bit of an issue for most people, not because you are IT, but it's because of the need to be more rounded you would need a various understanding of Physics and Chemistry as well as Computer engineering to really get a handle on it.
I will disagree however that it is extremely complex in nature, Physics in particular is an area that explains nature/universe and it's manipulation, ironically, that means it boils down to the simplest of concepts.
The big thing is it's not only on you, you aren't stupid or anything, companies doing this have many professionals of various fields that in most cases are beyond experts. As I stated the basics are simple but actually implementing them is quite difficult.

OK, so you install Windows on a quantum computer.
Maybe we need a new operating system. Not just a quantum computer.
Maybe that is why MS is spoonfeeding more of Linux (Ubuntu) into Windows support. In a year or two, replace the Windows engine with Linux and provide a "Windows" Desktop. Cuts down on implementation and maintenance costs and constant numerous security issues and updates and allows them to be a "cloud" (SaS) and MS Office company along with other services.

Hey, if you watch some of the weather forecasts, when a storm is on the way, they show the possible storm tracks with lines on the map from a dozen or so different computer models. With quantum, you will be able to display thousands of those storm tracks with absolute certainty that one of them has a 90% chance of being right! ???

Could windows run on this quantum cpu mb then 1tb ram 1 000 eta petab tb nvme ssd disk ddr3 4 5 ram and a good quantum rtx 6000 windows 10 quantum up nxt ?

Back