Hong Kong is offering iPhones, Teslas, and gold bars as vaccine incentives

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Hong Kong businesses are offering incentives for its citizens to get vaccinated, including the chance to win iPhones, a Tesla, an apartment, and even a pile of gold—and the plan is working. Bookings for both doses of the vaccine have been on the increase since the campaign began.

Bloomberg reports that Hong Kong authorities are turning to local businesses and their billionaire owners to help improve vaccine uptake. Only about 15.1% of Hong Kong’s 7.5 million population has been fully inoculated, lower than many other major finance centers.

As with many people who refuse the vaccine, fears over potential side effects is putting many off, as is the lack of trust in the Beijing-back government.

The low case numbers in Hong Kong, which still has many of the world’s strictest quarantine and social distancing measures, are causing some people to question why they need to be vaccinated. There are currently around just seven new infections recorded per day, and there has been 210 deaths since the pandemic began, with only a handful this year. But the need to fully reopen the economy and protect against new variants prompted the incentive plan.

To encourage those who don’t want or believe they need to take the vaccine, Hong Kong business magnate Li Ka-shing’ CK Group is giving away $2.6 million in shopping vouchers via a lottery to anyone who has had two shots. Another company is giving away $1.29 million in subsidies for lower-income residents who have been vaccinated.

Some other firms are offering even more compelling items: iPhones, a Tesla Model 3, cash payouts, vouchers, and extra time off for employees. One firm has gold bars as prizes, while another is allowing the vaccinated population a chance to win a new $1.4 million apartment.

Image credit: Studio Romantic

Permalink to story.

I heard in MN they are offering $25 gift cards to Target. So, take that Hong Kong!

Honestly, if they have to bribe folks into getting a covid vaccination, there are problems with the vaccination that need to be addressed. I won't discuss those problems here since this story isn't about problems of the vaccination, but about gift giving to get vaccinated.

Honestly, if they have to bribe folks into getting a covid vaccination, there are problems with the vaccination that need to be addressed.
No... there are problems with the PEOPLE... regardless of the vaccine used, they’re still way safer than remaining unvaccinated and risking Covid... not to mention encouraging the spread of Covid, allowing it to mutate, and thus endanger even those who ARE vaccinated.

No... there are problems with the PEOPLE... regardless of the vaccine used, they’re still way safer than remaining unvaccinated and risking Covid... not to mention encouraging the spread of Covid, allowing it to mutate, and thus endanger even those who ARE vaccinated.

Spout all you want, there are still problems. Period. Again, this is not a topic about problems with the vaccination. It's about the prizes they're handing out. If you can't keep to topic, no need to post. There are other topics around Techspot about covid where folks are crying and whining back and forth that always end the same - more crying and whining where everyone tries to one-up the last.

As for "incentives" in MN, you could possible get a free fishing license, as I mentioned in my first post - a Target gift card, start park passes, amusement park passes. They're trying to reach out to folks to get them back out and about with local incentives. Sure, it's no gold bars or a free apartment, but I guess its something.

Spout all you want, there are still problems. Period. Again, this is not a topic about problems with the vaccination. It's about the prizes they're handing out. If you can't keep to topic, no need to post. There are other topics around Techspot about covid where folks are crying and whining back and forth that always end the same - more crying and whining where everyone tries to one-up the last.

As for "incentives" in MN, you could possible get a free fishing license, as I mentioned in my first post - a Target gift card, start park passes, amusement park passes. They're trying to reach out to folks to get them back out and about with local incentives. Sure, it's no gold bars or a free apartment, but I guess its something.
Problems aside... it's still safer than NOT getting vaccinated... as the governments of every country have realized. Hence the incentives to vaccinate. They recognize that the average person is pretty ignorant - and that they won't do their research to realize that getting vaccinated is the right thing to do. So when you realize your citizens are fools... you go down to their level.... looks like it's working, so I guess it's a great idea.

Think of someone you know of average intelligence... think about how dumb that person is...now realize that half the world is even DUMBER than that person....

Drank the kool aide much or just didn't get get the memo? Cure rate is 99.9X% depending on age. HCQ, Ivermectin, Budesonide, and naturals are all available. PCR tests falsely inflated numbers due to their cycle counts. Flu and other comorbidities got replaced by CV19. The US had 1,800 flu cases in 2020 vs. 38 million in 2019. Get vaxxed and you can still get infected with CV19. Vaccine (experimental biological agent), is without long-term studies, and mRNA technology never worked in test animals (all died).

Tell me which part makes it necessary to get vaxxed again.

Problems aside... it's still safer than NOT getting vaccinated... as the governments of every country have realized. Hence the incentives to vaccinate. They recognize that the average person is pretty ignorant - and that they won't do their research to realize that getting vaccinated is the right thing to do. So when you realize your citizens are fools... you go down to their level.... looks like it's working, so I guess it's a great idea.

Think of someone you know of average intelligence... think about how dumb that person is...now realize that half the world is even DUMBER than that person....
If they want to remain unvaccinated I say let them. It's a group mentality thing, they don't even know why they believe what they believe and they aren't inclined to research and verify their own opinions. I'd you don't question your own opinions and reinforce them with research then they aren't your opinions. While many people think that they do, they goto reddit or 4chan and believe whatever they want to.

Don't argue with people who don't question why they think a certain way. I'm fairly conservative and even I know that the vaccine isn't nonsense

Drank the kool aide much or just didn't get get the memo? Cure rate is 99.9X% depending on age. HCQ, Ivermectin, Budesonide, and naturals are all available. PCR tests falsely inflated numbers due to their cycle counts. Flu and other comorbidities got replaced by CV19. The US had 1,800 flu cases in 2020 vs. 38 million in 2019. Get vaxxed and you can still get infected with CV19. Vaccine (experimental biological agent), is without long-term studies, and mRNA technology never worked in test animals (all died).

As I was saying... I guess you're one of the people the governments are worried about...

The thing is, vaccines DO work - all the research says so... and if we get most of the population to do it, we can pretty much eradicate Covid - like we have done for Smallpox, Polio, Measles, etc...

Alas, the antivaxxers love to publish a bunch of stuff with absolutely no scientific backing... for instance... care to provide any evidence that HCQ, Ivermectin or Budesonide should be used to treat Covid? You won't find any... because THEY DON'T!!!

And the flu is NOT Covid... the reason we have less flu this year is because the same measures society has used to prevent Covid - social distancing, masking, etc - work even better against the flu!

If only people would actually do REAL research... and not just spout jargon.... you'd understand that vaccines are one of the greatest advances in medical scientific history.... and have saved countless lives...

Oh... and for those of you mathematically challenged.... even if the death rate of Covid was .1% (it's far higher, but whatever), there are seven BILLION people on this planet! That would still be 7 million people dying.... is that acceptable to you?

As we already have 3.75 million deaths worldwide, perhaps that % might be a bit low? Hmmmmmm....

Why do we always give prizes to the worst groups of people?

you can live a whole life doing the right things and never receive even a pat on the back, then look across the street and watch everyone fall over themselves to help a monster.

Why do we always give prizes to the worst groups of people?

you can live a whole life doing the right things and never receive even a pat on the back, then look across the street and watch everyone fall over themselves to help a monster.
So you're saying that people who get a vaccine are the worst types of people? I'd argue the exact opposite...

no im saying the ones who dont get it but need bribing to get it are the issue.
Ahhh... yes, I agree... we shouldn't HAVE to bribe people to do the right thing... but hey, isn't that why religion exists? Heaven for those who do good, hell for those who don't...

As I was saying... I guess you're one of the people the governments are worried about...

The thing is, vaccines DO work - all the research says so... and if we get most of the population to do it, we can pretty much eradicate Covid - like we have done for Smallpox, Polio, Measles, etc...

Alas, the antivaxxers love to publish a bunch of stuff with absolutely no scientific backing... for instance... care to provide any evidence that HCQ, Ivermectin or Budesonide should be used to treat Covid? You won't find any... because THEY DON'T!!!

And the flu is NOT Covid... the reason we have less flu this year is because the same measures society has used to prevent Covid - social distancing, masking, etc - work even better against the flu!

If only people would actually do REAL research... and not just spout jargon.... you'd understand that vaccines are one of the greatest advances in medical scientific history.... and have saved countless lives...

Oh... and for those of you mathematically challenged.... even if the death rate of Covid was .1% (it's far higher, but whatever), there are seven BILLION people on this planet! That would still be 7 million people dying.... is that acceptable to you?

As we already have 3.75 million deaths worldwide, perhaps that % might be a bit low? Hmmmmmm....

There are 219, clinical, peer-reviewed studies on HCQ; over 60 have been done on CV-19, aside from of course the "regular doctors" promoting it - you know, the people on the ground, and not politicians or so-called health experts that have never seen patients in their life. Reconcile.

Oxford University's clinical study recently showed a 90% reduction in COVID hospitalizations when treated with Budesonide. Facts, but whatever right...

Read timetofreeamerica dot com to set all your phony "facts" straight and not fear-monger because the TV told you so. If COVID was so deadly, people would be dropping in the streets like flies, instead it's just like a bad seasonal flu. The death number you are citing, again, are artificially inflated. CDC came out themselves and said that pure 100% COVID-19 ONLY deaths were at 5-6% last year of the entire case tally (about 30K), which is also on par with the yearly flu cases. The others were from other reasons - heart attack = CV, motorcycle accident = CV, cancer = CV, etc.
The list goes on and on because hospitals admitted they were incentivised to push CV deaths to receive funding. It's interesting how the flu cases disappeared, yet COVID cases mirrored the same amount of deaths There was also no statistical increase noted in total deaths in this country, and many others. Italy themselves admitted recently that over 90% of their CV deaths were actually people that had more than 2 co-morbid conditions that were responsible for their death, not CV itself. So please, let's be real and not push drama.

It's obviously not good that people die, but where were you worrying about the 30K MVAs each year, or 30-60K deaths from the flu each year, or the thousands dying from cancer, cardiovascular disease etc.

Interesting how Texas opened up, Florida opened up and cases still dropped. Interesting how the WHO dropped their PCR cycle counts from 40 to 28 (due to false positives) two days after Biden was inaugurated. Cases dropped 25% in a weeks' time. FACTS, not propaganda. Anyone can find these, it's open to the public, and you don't have to regurgitate what the media keeps spinning.

There are 219, clinical, peer-reviewed studies on HCQ; over 60 have been done on CV-19, aside from of course the "regular doctors" promoting it - you know, the people on the ground, and not politicians or so-called health experts that have never seen patients in their life. Reconcile.

Oxford University's clinical study recently showed a 90% reduction in COVID hospitalizations when treated with Budesonide. Facts, but whatever right...

Read timetofreeamerica dot com to set all your phony "facts" straight and not fear-monger because the TV told you so. If COVID was so deadly, people would be dropping in the streets like flies, instead it's just like a bad seasonal flu. The death number you are citing, again, are artificially inflated. CDC came out themselves and said that pure 100% COVID-19 ONLY deaths were at 5-6% last year of the entire case tally (about 30K), which is also on par with the yearly flu cases. The others were from other reasons - heart attack = CV, motorcycle accident = CV, cancer = CV, etc.
The list goes on and on because hospitals admitted they were incentivised to push CV deaths to receive funding. It's interesting how the flu cases disappeared, yet COVID cases mirrored the same amount of deaths There was also no statistical increase noted in total deaths in this country, and many others. Italy themselves admitted recently that over 90% of their CV deaths were actually people that had more than 2 co-morbid conditions that were responsible for their death, not CV itself. So please, let's be real and not push drama.

It's obviously not good that people die, but where were you worrying about the 30K MVAs each year, or 30-60K deaths from the flu each year, or the thousands dying from cancer, cardiovascular disease etc.

Interesting how Texas opened up, Florida opened up and cases still dropped. Interesting how the WHO dropped their PCR cycle counts from 40 to 28 (due to false positives) two days after Biden was inaugurated. Cases dropped 25% in a weeks' time. FACTS, not propaganda. Anyone can find these, it's open to the public, and you don't have to regurgitate what the media keeps spinning.
OK... I'd like to see these 219 studies... because every REAL study shows the opposite.

As for your alt-right website.... they don't cite any actual peer-reviewed articles... just nonsense from "people on the ground".... well guess what - people on the ground can only deal with the select few cases they personally experience! That's why scientists do ACTUAL research!

And when Florida and Texas opened up, CASES WENT UP TOO!!! It's just that your heartless government didn't care. I guess they figured the deaths were spread amongst Democrat and Republican equally, so why bother?
Compared to other states, Florida has the third-highest confirmed case count and the fourth-highest death count. Guess that reopening worked out well...
Now that the vaccination percentages are climbing, cases (and deaths) are going down... go figure!

And yes, Covid cases tend to kill more often if there are underlying conditions - duh - that goes for EVERY disease! But most of those people would still be ALIVE if it wasn't for Covid! So... maybe.... Covid is bad?

And once again, the reason that actual death rates aren't climbing that much is because most people are actively fighting Covid! The measures we use against Covid work against pretty much ANY infectious disease!

Had everyone thought like you though, and just "lived their life free from fear", we'd almost certainly be seeing astronomic hospitalizations and deaths!

The comment about animals all dying from Covid-19 vaccination is completely untrue. Hundreds of millions of people have been vaccinated with mRNA vaccine. It's incredibly safe compared to old style virus-based vaccines, like J&J or Astra-Zeneca. https://fullfact.org/online/covid-vaccine-animal-testing/

But why will they be paying people to come take what they say is for their own benefits? just makes me wonder. is this drug really for our help or something else?

No, there is a problem with this type of UNTESTED vaccine. Countless cases of heart issues, blood clots, DEATH and on and on. Plus, the long term effects are NOT known. Everyone talks about how everyone lined up for the polio vaccine. Well, They STARTED trying to develop it in 1938, had one in trial in 1948, Salk got his out in 1952, then mass injections started in 1958, AFTER extensive TESTING. This thing was created out of the lab, "tested" and released in a few months. And since it is an mRNA vaccines, to produce the spike proteins, no one knows what the LONG TERM effects will be. We, are basically scientific Guinea Pigs. And, (usa, I don't know about other nations), those receiving the shots cannot sue anyone, because the liability has been waved. It is NOT an approved drug by the FDA, just for "emergency use only"...for a virus with a 98.7% survival rate.

No, there is a problem with this type of UNTESTED vaccine. Countless cases of heart issues, blood clots, DEATH and on and on. Plus, the long term effects are NOT known. Everyone talks about how everyone lined up for the polio vaccine. Well, They STARTED trying to develop it in 1938, had one in trial in 1948, Salk got his out in 1952, then mass injections started in 1958, AFTER extensive TESTING. This thing was created out of the lab, "tested" and released in a few months. And since it is an mRNA vaccines, to produce the spike proteins, no one knows what the LONG TERM effects will be. We, are basically scientific Guinea Pigs. And, (usa, I don't know about other nations), those receiving the shots cannot sue anyone, because the liability has been waved. It is NOT an approved drug by the FDA, just for "emergency use only"...for a virus with a 98.7% survival rate.
The blood clots are from the Astra Zeneca vaccine - which isn’t an mRNA vaccine... and while there are side effects from it, the survival rate from it is still far higher than that of Covid...

The mRNA vaccines - from Pfizer and Moderna - have been tested - hundreds of millions of people have taken them - and again, far safer than Covid!

Long term effects - obviously no one knows... but the best scientific minds all agree that they’re better than getting Covid!

As for the Polio vaccine taking years to develop - duh - technology wasn’t the same back then! We can do a lot of stuff faster than we could back then... like fly to the moon :)

And again... do the math... if Covid has a survival rate of 98.7%, that’s a 1.3% death rate... there are seven BILLION people on this planet... are you willing to accept 100 million deaths?

Non approved FDA drugs can be a horrendous nightmare.

My younger brother and his wife, she was pregnant and going into labor. The doctor wanted to help induce labor and gave my sister-in-law a non-FDA approved drug that has "shown" promise in previous uses. The drug ended up causing her uterus to rapidly contract over and over again and they staff didn't have her hooked up to any monitoring equipment.....basically the rapid contractions suffocated the baby. She came out with no brain activity other than some minor activity in the medulla that controls the breathing. The baby ended up passing away about 48 hours after she was born due to fluid buildup in the lungs.....plus no brain activity.

On top of their daughter dying because of the drug, the drug also caused hemorrhaging of the uterus in my sister-in-law, she had massive blood loss. The amount of blood she lost would have been enough to kill an average person. The only reason she lived was because she was pregnant and being pregnant increases the amount of blood your body has.

So, this non-FDA approved drug caused my brother and sister-in-law to lose their daughter and almost caused my brother's wife to die, too.

If anyone wishes to follow up on how the vaccinations are going in the US, feel free to check them out here: https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

You can read up on the deaths, miscarriages and all sorts of other goodies that the vaccinations have caused. Use the information how you want, I just wanted to put it out there since you guys here feel the need to argue back and forth about why people should get it and why people shouldn't.

Non approved FDA drugs can be a horrendous nightmare.

My younger brother and his wife, she was pregnant and going into labor. The doctor wanted to help induce labor and gave my sister-in-law a non-FDA approved drug that has "shown" promise in previous uses. The drug ended up causing her uterus to rapidly contract over and over again and they staff didn't have her hooked up to any monitoring equipment.....basically the rapid contractions suffocated the baby. She came out with no brain activity other than some minor activity in the medulla that controls the breathing. The baby ended up passing away about 48 hours after she was born due to fluid buildup in the lungs.....plus no brain activity.

On top of their daughter dying because of the drug, the drug also caused hemorrhaging of the uterus in my sister-in-law, she had massive blood loss. The amount of blood she lost would have been enough to kill an average person. The only reason she lived was because she was pregnant and being pregnant increases the amount of blood your body has.

So, this non-FDA approved drug caused my brother and sister-in-law to lose their daughter and almost caused my brother's wife to die, too.

If anyone wishes to follow up on how the vaccinations are going in the US, feel free to check them out here: https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

You can read up on the deaths, miscarriages and all sorts of other goodies that the vaccinations have caused. Use the information how you want, I just wanted to put it out there since you guys here feel the need to argue back and forth about why people should get it and why people shouldn't.
Hmmm... just over 5000 deaths from ALL Covid vaccines... the vast majority from astra Zeneca and J&J...
These ARE FDA approved by the way... and that’s still FAR safer than getting Covid...

As the US has lost hundreds of thousands to Covid - I’d take the vaccine :)

While there have been some valid concerns regarding the vaccine, they all have been address.

It took so long in the past to develop vaccine because the technology was utterly garbage as appropriate for the time. People were still using slide-rules to do calculations.

The time period around the great wars extended the research and release of vaccine in many ways I.e. researchers got pulled into weapon development, anyone who could remotely inject got to be support for troops, funding got diverted, and conscription killed many bright minds. Yes, that's is why polio vaccine had been in development since 1938 to mass injection in 1958.

The high survival rate is good but for every survivor there are 10-20x people who have long Covid symptoms where their quality of life is abysmal. The cost to manage such a massive number of people often gets ignored when comparing Covid with flu. Just because you caught it once does not mean you cannot catch it again.

You vaccinate a large number of people, forget vaccination, just count. Some of them are going to die from having pre-existing conditions or affinity towards particular conditions. That has an unfortunate side effect of being counted as vaccine related but a positive side effect of these cases being vigorously investigated.

Every new drug was once non-FDA approved. Some people will take the risk if the benefits outweigh them. Some of them will not have a choice even if they wanted to participate in trials.

One important point people do not pay much attention to is how much waiting is involved in drug development. Before Covid, some drugs would typically take 10 plus years where the actual work was only few months but the rest of time it was delays due to almost always funding. With Covid, so much money was thrown at the problem that you could incentive people to give up other research and actually focus on solving this particular problem. Honestly, it is not as tough as cancer.

Back