Horror game The Medium has already covered its development and promotion costs

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: Have you played The Medium? It’s proving very popular. After releasing last Thursday (January 28), the horror game has been selling so well that its development and marketing costs were covered in just a couple of days.

Speaking in an interview with Polish financial outlet money.pl (via Gamespot), developer Bloober Team revealed just how quickly The Medium turned a profit.

The Medium is only available on the PC and Xbox Series X/S—not Microsoft’s last-gen consoles. It’s also part of Xbox Game Pass/Xbox Game Pass for PC, so subscribers have been able to download the game since launch day.

The Medium is an incredibly atmospheric horror that uses fixed camera positions loved by 90s horrors such as Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil—no tank controls, thankfully. It offers a mix of puzzling and a few stealth sections; you won’t see any weapons.

One of the most interesting elements is the game's split-screen mechanic, in which protagonist Marianne occupies the real-world and spirit world simultaneously. It offers a unique take on what might have been standard Resi-style puzzles.

Bloober Team has plenty of experience in the world of horror games, being behind Layers of Fear and its sequel. It also made the nightmarish cyberpunk title Observer, starring the late Rutger Hauer and now available in a remastered ‘System Redux’ version, along with 2019's Blair Witch.

The Medium is available now on Steam, the Microsoft Store, Epic Games Store, and GOG.

Permalink to story.

Presumably Microsoft covered off much of the game's cost in the first place. Being a timed exclusive and on Game Pass they no doubt paid a handsome premium for. Not to take away from the game's sales mind but Microsoft have surely been stuffing that chicken in advance.

Presumably Microsoft covered off much of the game's cost in the first place. Being a timed exclusive and on Game Pass they no doubt paid a handsome premium for. Not to take away from the game's sales mind but Microsoft have surely been stuffing that chicken in advance.
Timed exclusive? I'm not seeing anything suggesting that...

I haven't played the game or watched any play throughs, yet. But here is my predictions based off of trailers and such:
The guy contacting the medium is the guy that murdered people at the resort including the little girl. The little girl, who goes by sadness as a spirit, is also the main monster that the medium has to deal with.

I haven't played the game or watched any play throughs, yet. But here is my predictions based off of trailers and such:
The guy contacting the medium is the guy that murdered people at the resort including the little girl. The little girl, who goes by sadness as a spirit, is also the main monster that the medium has to deal with.
For some reason spoilers only work in forum view, but not at techspot's news page.

The general (press/community/industry) feeling around the game is that it'll end up on PS5. Zero hard confirmation for it, although a lot of outlets already labelled it as timed.

Classic non committal language from the developer when asked about PS5 'not at this time' rather than simple 'no.' Typical silly wording when unveiled as a 'console launch exclusive' instead of the other Microsoft titles simply as 'exclusive' that sort of thing. Press boxes with Playstation logos on them, no doubt prepared and then shelved when the Microsoft money arrived.

We'll see but no surprise will be had if it pops up on Sony's release list after a year.

The general (press/community/industry) feeling around the game is that it'll end up on PS5. Zero hard confirmation for it, although a lot of outlets already labelled it as timed.

Classic non committal language from the developer when asked about PS5 'not at this time' rather than simple 'no.' Typical silly wording when unveiled as a 'console launch exclusive' instead of the other Microsoft titles simply as 'exclusive' that sort of thing. Press boxes with Playstation logos on them, no doubt prepared and then shelved when the Microsoft money arrived.

We'll see but no surprise will be had if it pops up on Sony's release list after a year.
Ah, ok. So not a "timed exclusive", as it is speculation (and not an announced timing). That's what I was wondering.

I wonder if MS will allow it within the year, since they seem to me more relaxed with exclusivity as of late. Would certainly be a better precedence for gamers...

The way the character talks throughout the game. It's as though she's having a light hearted dinner table conversation with someone. The tone of her voice does not match the dark, scary atmosphere the game is supposed to have.

Ms was showing this game as launch exclusive only.
Special edition of the game have playstation shapes all over it.
It's timed exclusive, 6 or 12 months. PS marks on boxes suggest initially was shorter but I guess ms put more monety to małe it longer as it is only exclusive game for a while so that's why it is already profitable.

I'm playing it on gamepass, but this game runs very badly.
It's probably the worst optimized game of the year.
When there is a dual screen scene, performance goes from 100+ fps to nearly 30 fps.
This makes the game borderline unplayable.

Back