Hourly BSODs on W7 64-bit

g1001

I have been getting bsod's a lot lately. I think they are only happening when I've got a game open.

A few months ago I went to the store to get them fixed and they said it was the onboard sound card so they took it out and putted in a normal sound card but I still keep having the same BSODs so whatever they fixed it sure wasn't those.

Specs:------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/30/2011, 21:54:25
Machine name: GUIDO-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/23/09 18:29:19 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6136MB RAM
Page File: 2606MB used, 9662MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: NVxx
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05EB&SUBSYS_070510DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 3684 MB
Dedicated Memory: 873 MB
Shared Memory: 2811 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm
Monitor Model: W2343
Monitor Id: GSM5701
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.8538 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.8538
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/23/2011 00:41:00, 15688512 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-46AB-11CF-3452-09271FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x05EB
SubSys ID: 0x070510DE
Revision ID: 0x00A1

Attachments

• debluescreen.jpg
    debluescreen.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1
Two questions:

Is anything overclocked like the cpu, memory, or video card?

Is this system still under warranty?

Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

Obviously they were dead wrong about the sound card. I hope they didn't charge you. In light of your error code we want you to run Memtest on your memory (RAM).

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

* Also, other than Trend Micro do you have other security software installed?

Thank you i'll try that this morning.
By the way i already tryed the w7 memory test but it didn't find any errors does the Memmtest test for more?
And no i don't run anything more then Trend Micro.
O and i BSOD a lot faster and more now i played the BF3 beta before that i played sc2 css and wow which aren't heavy games GPU and CPU wise.
That might mean smh?

Yes. Memtest is more extensive. You might also want to consider heat issues because gaming puts on a heavy load and thus increasing your system's heat especially on your video card. Too high of heat will certainly cause system shut-downs as well as causing hardware errors. Check your air flow, if all fans are working especially on your video card and cpu. Is there any dust build up?

Open up the side of your case, get a small fan, have it blow into your case and try playing a game. What happens?

Will try the fan thing + ram things (later this day)
Anything out of the ordinary with the heat /v

Attachments

• heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1
For clarity, when reading that chart is value the actual temperature at the time you ran it and took the jpg.?

Back