How do I ground antistatic wrist wrap?

winterwolf1223

Well I am about to build my first pc but I just came across something. I got an antistatic wrist wrap. It has a wrist wrap and another end with has a metal clip. How do I properly ground myself? Where do I clip the clip? To the empty PC case? Will that prevent static shock from all other components?

Thx Guys!!!

Yes, you can clip it to the metal of the case. You can also touch the metal of the case periodically to discharge any static charge buildup in case you don't have the wrist thing on.

Any person builds up a charge of 'static electricity' by just walking around inside a house on nylon carpets. As soon as they are outside on real ground the static is discharged. It is enough to make sure you are not carrying a static charge, by touching the metal fittings, chrome or copper parts of a central heating sytem (if it's connected to ground in the house) before doing work inside a pc, and a wriststrap is not a bad idea, considering the price of components.
If I do a major rebuild, I run a wire from a metal spike I have stuck in the ground, (grass) just outside my door, to a clip on the case of the pc. Never had any static troubles whatever. It can be a problem getting 'real' ground if living in a block of flats/apartments.
Also when handling boards, try to hold only the edges of the boards, and not to touch any 'edge connectors' or any part of the 'chips'. Also only take the parts out of the package when you need to fit them, and pick the parts up as few times as possible, once ideally. When boards are plugged into the motherboard they are far 'safer'.

Something also worth considering is the level of humidity. Ive been told it is far safer to work in a computer with high humidity. The dryer the air the more build up of static energy.

Joanne

Something also worth considering is the level of humidity. Ive been told it is far safer to work in a computer with high humidity. The dryer the air the more build up of static energy.

Joanne

I understand. Like in winter times the air is less humid causing more chance of static shock. thx =)

As proof of that, ref to by 'Musicalls', spend any time in a shopping centre where there is air-con, so very dry air. I can go to pick something off a shelf, 'Zap' it's another static jump from me to the metal shelf. It's enough to destroy parts on a pc board.

When I was researching the following Laptop, there was some really handy info about static energy. Just a couple of little excerpts from ...."Maintenance and Service Guide
Compaq Evo N610c and Evo N600c" which I found really interesting.

NOTE: the formatting is a bit skewiff below as I cant paste tables in. Ive tried to fix it a bit, so I think youll get the drift.

4.4 Preventing Electrostatic Damage
Many electronic components are sensitive to electrostatic
discharge (ESD). Circuitry design and structure determine the
degree of sensitivity. Networks built into many integrated circuits
provide some protection, but in many cases the discharge contains
enough power to alter device parameters or melt silicon junctions.
A sudden discharge of static electricity from a finger or other
conductor can destroy static-sensitive devices or microcircuitry.
Often the spark is neither felt nor heard, but damage occurs.
An electronic device exposed to electrostatic discharge may not
be affected at all and can work perfectly throughout a normal
cycle. Or the device may function normally for a while, then
degrade in the internal layers, reducing its life expectancy.

Table 4-1
Typical Electrostatic Voltage Levels
Relative Humidity
Event .................................. 10% 40% 55%
Walking across carpet ......................35,000 V - 15,000 - V 7,500 V
Walking across vinyl floor..................12,000 V - 5,000 V - 3,000 V
Motions of bench worker.................. 6,000 V - 800 V - 400 V
Removing DIPS from plastic tube ......... 2,000 V - 700 V - 400 V
Removing DIPS from vinyl tray ........... 11,500 V - 4,000 V - 2,000 V
Removing DIPS from Styrofoam .......... 14,500 V - 5,000 V - 3.500 V
Removing bubble pack from PCB ......... 26,500 V - 20,000 V - 7,000 V
Packing PCBs in foam-lined box .......... 21,000 V - 11,000 V - 5,000 V

A product can be degraded by as little as 700v

HTHs
Cheers
Joanne

When I was researching the following Laptop, there was some really handy info about static energy. Just a couple of little excerpts from ...."Maintenance and Service Guide
Compaq Evo N610c and Evo N600c" which I found really interesting.

NOTE: the formatting is a bit skewiff below as I cant paste tables in. Ive tried to fix it a bit, so I think youll get the drift.

4.4 Preventing Electrostatic Damage
Many electronic components are sensitive to electrostatic
discharge (ESD). Circuitry design and structure determine the
degree of sensitivity. Networks built into many integrated circuits
provide some protection, but in many cases the discharge contains
enough power to alter device parameters or melt silicon junctions.
A sudden discharge of static electricity from a finger or other
conductor can destroy static-sensitive devices or microcircuitry.
Often the spark is neither felt nor heard, but damage occurs.
An electronic device exposed to electrostatic discharge may not
be affected at all and can work perfectly throughout a normal
cycle. Or the device may function normally for a while, then
degrade in the internal layers, reducing its life expectancy.

Table 4-1
Typical Electrostatic Voltage Levels
Relative Humidity
Event .................................. 10% 40% 55%
Walking across carpet ......................35,000 V - 15,000 - V 7,500 V
Walking across vinyl floor..................12,000 V - 5,000 V - 3,000 V
Motions of bench worker.................. 6,000 V - 800 V - 400 V
Removing DIPS from plastic tube ......... 2,000 V - 700 V - 400 V
Removing DIPS from vinyl tray ........... 11,500 V - 4,000 V - 2,000 V
Removing DIPS from Styrofoam .......... 14,500 V - 5,000 V - 3.500 V
Removing bubble pack from PCB ......... 26,500 V - 20,000 V - 7,000 V
Packing PCBs in foam-lined box .......... 21,000 V - 11,000 V - 5,000 V

A product can be degraded by as little as 700v

HTHs
Cheers
Joanne

Wow thats some really interesting info!!!

something to keep in mind is that the case should be plugged in and the psu connected.
otherwise, if the case is not grounded, you are not grounded.

if you have another computer case connected you can clip to that or any other electronic device with a metal casing. or connect to any inhouse piping like heat or water pipes.

in addition, if you have the option you could work on linoleum floor which you would probably find in the kitchen or tile which is fine too. carpet will only enhance any electrostatic charges.

there are also magnets which can prevent static or reduce it

I've been building for about 11 years now, never worn an antistatic strap. Never killed a component *knock on wood*. What I always do though is just be sure I'm touching the case before reaching for a component or reaching inside the case to touch a component.

IMO anti-static protection is overrated...I've also never had any problems (though much less chances for them to occur compared to SNGX1275!), and I work on carpet.

Didn't work on carpet, but this is not a problem, as long as you touch the inside metal part of you pc case, you're grounded, and if you don't come into contact with other static electricity conductors, you're good, I built my first pc without the strap and it went fine.

agreed interesting info but i've never used them and have never had a problem if I ever zap a chip I'll know that I the 35,000 volts i built up to get to the computer killed it.

QUOTE SNGX1275
"*knock on wood*"

Ha, just the sort of variable I like do away with if possible :) . No harm in erring on the side of caution, especially if 1/ youre not really knowledgeable about what youre doing and 2/ youre working on someone elses computer.

The most interesting thing and hard to prove Id say, would be early failure of components. Me thinks, why buy into trouble.

Just my thoughts...cheers

Joanne

Back