How do I fit a 120mm fan in a Dell Dimension 3000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgmutton

I suppose that everyone who has purchased a Dimension 3000 knows how loud it is. I was hoping to fix that by replacing the fan with one that was bigger and could cool at lower revolutions, therefore being quieter. But I have run into a problem. I can't figure out how to fit the new double-ball bearing 120mm antec fan into the place where the 100mm stock fan goes. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cut a hole in the side of the case... or get a body and fender man to do it. A knife designed for cutting thin sheet metal will do the job if your careful and patient.

The 120 mm fan will never fit the 100 mm hole...

You might just look for a much better quality 100 fan. Some have better designed blades and run very quietly while moving a lot more air.

OK thanks. I thought of that but I was hoping I wouldn't have to... I guess I'll just shop for 100mm fans. I'd rather not cut open my dell, or it might fall apart lol. I'm never buying a dell again.

Keep it. The more air, the better. Neither will draw much power.
Generally, you want the fan pulling the hot air out of the box, rather than blowing dust and fiber in. But it is really about thinking it through and having a plan. Somtimes using a cigaret or other smoke can give you an idea of air movement.
Most studies do not show case fans having much good effect on temperatures, but even four degrees makes cpu and memory happier.

The metal for the case is either aluminum or less than 1mm thick low grade steel. Take your 120 and align it with the center of the 100mm grill (its probably 92mm though?) Then take something and mark where the holes should be and drill 4 mounting holes. If there is a bend in the metal preventing this, then I would buy/borrow some metal shears and just cut it. Nobody looks at the backs of cases anyway. You will have about 1cm of space if it really is replacing a 100mm fan around all sides. Since the fan blades push the most air at the edges it wouldn't hurt to drill a bunch of holes outside of the existing ones to allow air to flow through, again it won't look fantastic, but it will be functional. I've done this before on an HP computer.

Thanks!

It seems that I have to choose between airflow and noise with these fans... I think I'll go with less noise because that's why I'm replacing the fan in the first place...

I'm thinking about the "Scythe KAZE JYU SLIM SY1012SL12M 100mm Case Fan - Retail" at newegg... It seems quiet and more effective than the stock fan :)

Does anyone know the specifications of the default fan in the Dimension 3000? I would like to have something to base the noise level/airflow on.

It is/was the bottom of the line budget home computer, lowest cost computer. I doubt that there would be very extensive specifications. It is a fan. It works. It seldom fails. Do you want cubic feet per minute or what?

lol I've thought about it but I'm not sure. I don't really know enough about moving the motherboard etc, and I think I need to do more research :)

I am about to replace my Dimension 3000 stock fan and wanted to know how it went for you. Any challenges? Any suggestions for me?

I assume you noticed a significant improvement!

I haven't put in the fan yet, but I'm now wondering if my graphics card/power supply, which I have just upgraded, could be part of it... Oh well, I guess I'll just have to put in the fan to find out!

If you replace the fan, let me know. The one I am looking at is on backorder so I've got a few days before I will order.

Thanks-
Jeff

I wouldn't call it "significant" improvement. In fact, most case fans do not seem to make much of a difference in case temperatures. A high quality, low noise, 120 in the center of the side of the case works best.
First thing you do is replace the existing CPU Fan with the best you can find.
But the 3000 is such a basic home unit, that you cannot do much. It works well but will never work great. I doubt you will ever detect much improvement.
Are you having heating and cooling issues now?

The computer has sounded like an airplane ready for takeoff for several months now! Yesterday I blew out all of the dust with compressed air and it got noticeable quieter. I think I'll just maintain it with regular cleaning for now. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back