How do I install drivers from Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckinnick

I recently downloaded Driver Reviver and updated all my drivers. There are three left to update that download the driver exe file but they say they need to be installed through the device manager. The three drivers are:

Intel R Graphics Chipset KCH Driver
Intel R Graphic Platform Softbios Driver
Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse InteliPoint

How do i install these through device manager? Im running a Windows XP 32 bit, Dell Dimension 2400.

Go to device manager in windows (start > right click my computer icon > properties > device manager), and then select each of the hardware items, and one by one click on properties and then update driver. Then you can install the drivers.

Whats wrong with the existing drivers though? If they're fine now, is there really any need to replace them?

Go to device manager in windows (start > right click my computer icon > properties > device manager), and then select each of the hardware items, and one by one click on properties and then update driver. Then you can install the drivers.

Whats wrong with the existing drivers though? If they're fine now, is there really any need to replace them?

I'm not sure which one to go by but Driver Reviver says that there is an update for them but when run an update on anything in device manger it says it could not find a better match. I don't even know where those drivers i listed above are in the device manager.

I'm not sure which one to go by but Driver Reviver says that there is an update for them but when run an update on anything in device manger it says it could not find a better match. I don't even know where those drivers i listed above are in the device manager.

The mouse will be under input devices, or mouse. The others are hardware drivers for what looks like the motherboard functions.

To be honest, if its running fine now, and everything works as it should I really wouldnt be worrying.

As long as device manager isn't showing any question marked items in its list, and everything is functioning as it should, your all good. :D

The mouse will be under input devices, or mouse. The others are hardware drivers for what looks like the motherboard functions.

To be honest, if its running fine now, and everything works as it should I really wouldnt be worrying.

As long as device manager isn't showing any question marked items in its list, and everything is functioning as it should, your all good. :D

There is a yellow question mark on Other Devices - PCI Communications Controller.
Driver Reviver downloads the new driver but when i click on the exe file it says something about installing it through device manager.

I just clicked the yellow question mark and updated it and now there is an Modem - Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem installed.

My computer has been freezing about 1 or twice a day do you think this was the problem?

I just clicked the yellow question mark and updated it and now there is an Modem - Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem installed.

My computer has been freezing about 1 or twice a day do you think this was the problem?

Its hard to say really. If it doesn't do it from now on then its possible its been in conflict with something as it was unrecognised and now it is, everything is fine.

See how your computer runs with the drivers you've installed but an fyi and some questions..

When you install via Device Manager you generally can
a. Allow Windows to search on the internet for a driver and/or
b. Tell Windows where to search your disk for drivers and/or
c. Point Windows to very specific driver you want it to install

Case a) is a good free method to let Windows search the Microsoft driver database for a matching driver for the device. But, it doesn't always find one in its database

For cases b) and c) Windows searches your disk for Driver Installation Setup files (these are .inf files) on your computer

I point this out as i'm just curious about the drivers you got from Driver Reviver. As typically,
> If they were .exe files, you normally just run the .exe file and it installs itself
> If they were a collection of driver files (e.g. .sys, .cat and .inf files) then you install them by pointing Windws to the right .inf file

And if you installed by letting Windows searching the internet, Windows might have picked its own driver (and not even installed whatever you downloaded on your own)

In any case, i wouldn't be concerned about exactly which drivers are currently loaded. But if the problem continues.. i'd be curious as to just what type of drivers you downloaded and how you installed them.. And you needn't even reply now but, if you want, wait till you see how things run as is

See how your computer runs with the drivers you've installed but an fyi and some questions..

When you install via Device Manager you generally can
a. Allow Windows to search on the internet for a driver and/or
b. Tell Windows where to search your disk for drivers and/or
c. Point Windows to very specific driver you want it to install

Case a) is a good free method to let Windows search the Microsoft driver database for a matching driver for the device. But, it doesn't always find one in its database

For cases b) and c) Windows searches your disk for Driver Installation Setup files (these are .inf files) on your computer

I point this out as i'm just curious about the drivers you got from Driver Reviver. As typically,
> If they were .exe files, you normally just run the .exe file and it installs itself
> If they were a collection of driver files (e.g. .sys, .cat and .inf files) then you install them by pointing Windws to the right .inf file

And if you installed by letting Windows searching the internet, Windows might have picked its own driver (and not even installed whatever you downloaded on your own)

In any case, i wouldn't be concerned about exactly which drivers are currently loaded. But if the problem continues.. i'd be curious as to just what type of drivers you downloaded and how you installed them.. And you needn't even reply now but, if you want, wait till you see how things run as is

Yeah most of them were .exe files except for the three mentioned above. That's why i wasn't sure how to install them or what to even look for in the device manager.

When i turned the computer back on the next day after it installed the driver back from where the yellow question mark was there was no sound. I went to my sound drivers and did an update drivers and it updated them back to what i had previously which was Soundmax so i now have sound again. So i guess i didn't even need something live Driver Reiver when i could just go to the device manager and go through all the devices and update them from there?

I never use software to help me find drivers. Its easier just getting them from the manufacturers, or from Microsoft via update.

I think these sorts of programs just overcomplicate matters and serve only really to confuse further those that use them.

I never use software to help me find drivers. Its easier just getting them from the manufacturers, or from Microsoft via update.

I think these sorts of programs just over complicate matters and serve only really to confuse further those that use them.

When it checks for an update in device manager is it checking the manufacturer? Other wise i wouldn't know what to look for on the manufacturers website or if it is compatible with my computer.

When it checks for an update in device manager is it checking the manufacturer? Other wise i wouldn't know what to look for on the manufacturers website or if it is compatible with my computer.

I have no idea. I would imagine its checking Microsoft update for the drivers that match the hardware to be honest.

In the case of a custom built PC, or known hardware its fairly simple searching for the correct drivers. You'd know the model number, and who manufactured the hardware item, so you'd know where to look.

Microsoft update usually also does a very good job (especially with W7) of identifying individual hardware components, and suggesting the correct drivers to be installed.

Then you also should have the hardware drivers on the CDs that either came with each individual component, or in the case of pre-built PCs/laptops a CD/DVD with all of the required hardware drivers as well.

There is little need for software which finds drivers, its only doing the job you can do yourself. That said, everyone is different, and just because I prefer the manual ways listed above, doesn't mean its the only ways of doing it.

Though to answer your previous question. .exe files are to install drivers through a installer (like you would software) and the .inf etc files are for you to install through device manager by doing tasks like update drivers etc.

I have no idea. I would imagine its checking Microsoft update for the drivers that match the hardware to be honest.

In the case of a custom built PC, or known hardware its fairly simple searching for the correct drivers. You'd know the model number, and who manufactured the hardware item, so you'd know where to look.

Microsoft update usually also does a very good job (especially with W7) of identifying individual hardware components, and suggesting the correct drivers to be installed.

Then you also should have the hardware drivers on the CDs that either came with each individual component, or in the case of pre-built PCs/laptops a CD/DVD with all of the required hardware drivers as well.

There is little need for software which finds drivers, its only doing the job you can do yourself. That said, everyone is different, and just because I prefer the manual ways listed above, doesn't mean its the only ways of doing it.

Though to answer your previous question. .exe files are to install drivers through a installer (like you would software) and the .inf etc files are for you to install through device manager by doing tasks like update drivers etc.

So when i install a driver manually from the device manager i need to use the inf file NOT the exe file?

So when i install a driver manually from the device manager i need to use the inf file NOT the exe file?

In general, yes.. unless Windows is searching the internet for you in which case it is really searching Microsoft's driver database. If it finds a match it selects and installs it without user intervention.

If you tell Windows to search your computer, it will search looking at .inf files to determine if any matching drivers can be found. So when manually installing, you'd want to point it to the folder or specific .inf file you want to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back