How do I remove a Steam installation that isn't even there? Yes. I know

So basically, my external hard drive decided that it wanted to go to heaven, taking everything with it. Included in this was my Steam installation (I installed it to my external because I was having some problems with my C drive.) So now I'm trying to reinstall Steam on my main drive, and it's automatically directing the installation to my F drive, which doesn't exist, and failing.

For some reason, Steam shows up in my C drive programs and features, but when I go to uninstall it, it tries to yank it from the F drive and of course, fails.

Is there a way to change the directory so that my new Steam install will go to my main drive? As far as doing it during the attempted installation, it doesn't even let me get far enough to choose a path before it gives me an error message and experiences a "fatal error."

Also, how can I get the faulty Steam completely off of my comp before I do that? (So it doesn't show up in my programs and features.)

Also, I run Windows 7 32bit Professional.

I have no solid advice, but this came to mind as a possible workaround:

• Attach another drive to your system and set it as F to make your PC happy.
  • Run the Steam installer and point it to that location. Hopefully it'll install right.
  • If everything is kosher again, uninstall Steam and reinstall it where you want.

During the installation of Steam you should be given the opportunity to change the drive and/or folder to which Steam will be installed. It comes immediately after choosing your language.

Right. I assumed he was receiving conflicts because of the registry entries for the "existing" installation on the busted drive.

You're probably right. I'm curious as to what exactly happens at that point. It wasn't that clear to me.

Yeah, totally worth trying if he hasn't yet, I just figured I'd clarify my thoughts. His issue isn't entirely clear to me either.

I have no solid advice, but this came to mind as a possible workaround:

• Attach another drive to your system and set it as F to make your PC happy.
  • Run the Steam installer and point it to that location. Hopefully it'll install right.
  • If everything is kosher again, uninstall Steam and reinstall it where you want.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I can tear my room apart and find my stick drive. I'll let you guys know how it went.

Or you can always run regedit, search for entries, containing 'steam' or smth, and replace f: with c:...

By the grace of the good heavens, I was able to recover my external and everything on it by stripping it and sticking it in my tower.

I think I was having some kind of driver issue that was just jacking with everything.

So, though no work-around was really necessary, I got the problem taken care of.

Thanks, guys.

I would check the S.M.A.R.T. status of that drive to make sure it doesn't have any problems man. Drives tend to die then randomly come back, work for a little longer and then die again. Better safe then sorry.

Back