How do I set up WiFi connection between Server & Clients

A

ajac63

I'm thinking of putting together a basic home server network and I want WiFi connections between the server and client systems. What is the simplest or basic way of doing this from a physical connectivity point of view? I already have a combined wireless modem-router for my Internet connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, get all systems to connect to your WiFi router.
This will put them all on the same 'subnet', aka the router's network. If the router address is 192.168.1.1, then every connected system will have an address starting in 192.168.1.X

Second, decide which system will be the primary sharing device - - the one holding the largest amount of shared files.
This one will be the one that every (or almost every) one will access for the shared data. You should arrange to have a fixed address for this system (more on that later).

Next, pick the folder(s) which contain files to be shared (and that can be on more than just one system), and marked it as Shared
(for r/o or full control).

Once a system is on the routers subnet AND shared folders have been setup, Users can Map Shared Drives as they need.

btw: a shared printer is slightly different but handle that when needed.

First, get all systems to connect to your WiFi router.
This will put them all on the same 'subnet', aka the router's network. If the router address is 192.168.1.1, then every connected system will have an address starting in 192.168.1.X

Second, decide which system will be the primary sharing device - - the one holding the largest amount of shared files.
This one will be the one that every (or almost every) one will access for the shared data. You should arrange to have a fixed address for this system (more on that later).

Next, pick the folder(s) which contain files to be shared (and that can be on more than just one system), and marked it as Shared
(for r/o or full control).

Once a system is on the routers subnet AND shared folders have been setup, Users can Map Shared Drives as they need.

btw: a shared printer is slightly different but handle that when needed.

Great, thanks for your help. So I can use the modem-router as the wireless access point (WAP), that's good to know.;) I take it that for those client systems that don't have WiFi built-in (like recent laptops, tablets), I will have to install wireless network adapters? For the shared files I'm thinking of RAID 1+0 or 5 on the server using 3 drives.

You're suggesting ISP===Modem+Router . . . wifi

I would suggest ISP===Modem+Router--wired-newRouter ... wifi

Why? Your settings for wifi, forwarding, ... all the specifics YOU care about ... would be in YOUR device, not the ISP's.
This allows the ISP to replace theirs and not impact YOU, you just recable and away you go.

You're suggesting ISP===Modem+Router . . . wifi

I would suggest ISP===Modem+Router--wired-newRouter ... wifi

Why? Your settings for wifi, forwarding, ... all the specifics YOU care about ... would be in YOUR device, not the ISP's.
This allows the ISP to replace theirs and not impact YOU, you just recable and away you go.

I thought you were suggesting 'ISP===Modem+Router . . . wifi' with 'First, get all systems to connect to your WiFi router'. Anyway, you're now saying that I should connect an additional router to my existing wifi modem-router by cable? This doesn't make sense - my current modem-router is already wifi...

Also, what exactly is 'Why? Your settings for wifi, forwarding, ... all the specifics YOU care about ... would be in YOUR device, not the ISP's.
This allows the ISP to replace theirs and not impact YOU, you just recable and away you go
' referring to?? What are you trying to say here????

I understand it looks strange, but PROFESSIONALLY, that's the right thing to do. NEVER use the wifi on the ISP modem+wif device. The first time something goes wrong, you WILL loose all the wifi settings and you get to do it all over again.

Using a newRouter, your settings and port forwards are all preserved when the ISP yanks the device to 'give you a better one'.

As to Cabling; you connect one RJ45 from the Modem+wifi === to the newRouter where you setup the WiFi. Should be clear, but it's all up to you.

I understand it looks strange, but PROFESSIONALLY, that's the right thing to do. NEVER use the wifi on the ISP modem+wif device. The first time something goes wrong, you WILL loose all the wifi settings and you get to do it all over again.

Using a newRouter, your settings and port forwards are all preserved when the ISP yanks the device to 'give you a better one'.

As to Cabling; you connect one RJ45 from the Modem+wifi === to the newRouter where you setup the WiFi. Should be clear, but it's all up to you.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up - I get it now, I think ;) So I connect my existing modem-router to a second WiFi router (NAP) with standard ethernet cable (RJ45) and then connect the second router to the server also via cable and connect WiFi adapters to client systems. ..
Do I also need a dedicated switch connected to the second router (NAP)? I ask, as I've read that if you don't do this, then bottlenecks will occur if too many devices are talking to the server at the same time.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up - I get it now, I think ;)
  • So I connect my existing modem-router to a second WiFi router (NAP) with standard ethernet cable (RJ45)
  • and then connect the second router to the server also via cable
  • and connect WiFi adapters to client systems. ..
BINGO
  • Do I also need a dedicated switch connected to the second router (NAP)? I ask, as I've read that if you don't do this, then bottlenecks will occur if too many devices are talking to the server at the same time.
Extra switch not necessary :) Post back when you're ready to do the install and I'll have more to say ...

BINGO
Extra switch not necessary :) Post back when you're ready to do the install and I'll have more to say ...

I'm glad you said this, because a router is already a switch, yet the number of other forums saying that I needed a switch for just two-three systems was quite a few. Which I've quit btw... Now I've got to source some items ;)

Btw: I have this very setup myself. my newRouter has no wifi and later I needed that at the other end of the house so I actually have

isp==modem===router#1====myWifi

and all devices can share regardless of how they are connected.

Btw: I have this very setup myself. my newRouter has no wifi and later I needed that at the other end of the house so I actually have

isp==modem===router#1====myWifi

and all devices can share regardless of how they are connected.
That's a good workaround. If it works, why not (y)
BTW - I submitted this post about odd Windows boot failure - I know I shouldn't bump the thread, but no one's replied yet ;)
Also this one about what I'm sure is a scam, so wondering if others have had a similar text message.

BTW - just bought what will be the server case on Sunday. See my post in the PC Hardware section.

Back