How do you guys get so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wookieecrisp

This might seem like a silly question but: how do you people get so good at removing viruses? Like how come you just look at a couple logs and then all of a sudden you know exactly what to do ? Thanks!

Once we graduate from Hogwarts, we get a magic wand that we can wave over the computer and it's instantly fixed!

At least that's what some of my customers think and are quite disappointed when I say otherwise :)

Snowchick is lying! it wasn't Hogwarts....it was Ridgemont High :)....welcome to TS :wave:

Lol, sorry sometimes its hard to be serious in the compute industry :)

Especially on a Friday (I'm in New Zealand).

To be honest wookieecrisp, its all about experience.

You can learn a lot of stuff through studying, but I get computers in everyday that have different problems. You just learn the different paths and common patterns of certain issues then proceed to go down that train of thought.

So in other words. Lots of mouse clicks and button pressing :D

i'm not one of the malware experts but speaking from a general computer perspective...

As mentioned before it comes down to experience and knowledge gained over time..

In fact, it's much the same as a doctor, a psychologist or an auto mechanic!

Over time, one learns from experience. You begin to understand (and get a sense of) the connection between symptoms / problems / solutions. That (along good pattern recognition skills in your field) let's ya get good at fixin computers and viruses (or automobiles or people as the case may be!)

How does one get to Carnegie Hall?
Buy a ticket? You can always pay someone to teach you, however much.

Now about learning, you could learn from experience, or you can start making your own viruses! You can learn a lot that way, though that still counts as experience too I think.

I'll chime in with another 'expierence' comment. I very very rarely visit this subforum but I saw this come up as the last commented thread so I stopped by. Its like anything anyone dedicates time to, the more time you spend in an area the better you get at it and you can pick up on little things that 'novices' miss (I'm speaking generally, not specifics).

The guys that help here are doing a great job, but I think if you took several of us that don't help in this forum but are also pretty active in other subforums here we'd do alright at diagnosing/fixing things here (although surely through differing approaches, and we'd probably be slower). The thing is, the people that help in this one are a special breed, I just have no motivation to try and learn more and help people in this area.

HK,

Have you been making viruses? O.o
:haha: Nope, notice i'm not much of a malware helper ^^. I forgot to mention, making mistakes and learning from them is great too.

The thing is, the people that help in this one are a special breed, I just have no motivation to try and learn more and help people in this area.
I'm also "lazy".

I forgot to mention, making mistakes and learning from them is great to

And sometimes explaining these in such technical terms that the customer's switch off and don't realize that you actually made a mistake while fixing their computer >.<

:D

Thanks all! I made an application for GeeksToGo and I hope I get in. :haha: :haha: I can picture you guys infecting your own systems just to practice removing a virus. :haha:

What's even more admirable, is the patience exhibited by our malware removal members, when they fully know right up front, that most of these machines are infected by doing things with them that the posters know damn well that they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

It always reminds me of the story about the "shopper" who walked out of the store, with a stolen ham under his arm. When confronted by the store security guard about it, he answered, "how'd that get there"?

What's even more admirable, is the patience exhibited by our malware removal members, when they fully know right up front, that most of these machines are infected by doing things with them that the posters know damn well that they shouldn't be doing in the first place.

It always reminds me of the story about the "shopper" who walked out of the store, with a stolen ham under his arm. When confronted by the store security guard about it, he answered, "how'd that get there"?

here here

Yes, my goal is two, it started out hovering about 1.2, but I realized my limited expertise can help a lot more than the small area's a actually know what i'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back