How to Add Fonts to Windows (and Where to Find Them)

One important thing: having too many fonts, like 10k+, kills PC performance. At worst, your OS may never boot up. It's better to just have the essentials and the ones you actually really need.

If the ceo of a company has a license for a font, can his private company use the font in a product? no. If the company has a font license can the board, employees or customers of the product with the font use the font? no.

The font licensing situation is ridiculous. Anyone using windows on any computer in non-activated mode is violating hundreds of font licenses.

I don't think it's good practice to have so many fonts with strict licenses widely used. They should be distributed under an open license like Google does.

A product that injects a ton of legal complications into its use isn't going to live long.

One important thing: having too many fonts, like 10k+, kills PC performance. At worst, your OS may never boot up. It's better to just have the essentials and the ones you actually really need.
I think that can be solved by simply disabling font caching. With SSDs being the norm font caching is largely unnecessary anyways.

I remember the times, when the number of fonts decreases the OS stability (W'98 and below, if im correct) cos the .ini file that load with the OS was in charge to say what fonts are installed.
Since XP (again if im correct) this changed and I dont see any problem with how much fonts are installed. Currently im with 4,5k. The whole collection I have is over 35k but I refuse to experiment with that :)

I still like the old "Bauhaus '93" font from Adobe:
il_794xN.3836577415_3dm6.jpg

Back