How to change default View to List?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

As the title says, I'd love to change the default folder file listing format to LIST
rather than using icons - so it stays in that format.

How to?

Esp on a flash drive, etc.

THANKS!!

In Explorer, set the view you want
Click Tools->Folder Options then the View tab
Click the button to apply the view to all Folders

To change the default startup folder for Windows Explorer: 1. Click Start , point to All Programs , point to Accessories , and then right-click Windows Explorer .
2. On the menu that appears, click Properties .
3. In the Target box, append the "/root" command-line switch to the "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe" command, using the startup location that you want. For example, if you want Windows Explorer to start at the root of drive C, edit the command to the following:
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, C:\

To change the default startup folder for Windows Explorer: 1. Click Start , point to All Programs , point to Accessories , and then right-click Windows Explorer .
2. On the menu that appears, click Properties .
3. In the Target box, append the "/root" command-line switch to the "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe" command, using the startup location that you want. For example, if you want Windows Explorer to start at the root of drive C, edit the command to the following:
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root, C:\

Hi sent12b
- On the one hand i think the OP just wanted to change their default folder view vs. location
- On the other hand, i keep meaning to change my own default folder location but never seem to get around looking up "how to". So THANKS! Will apply your answer :grinthumb

Hi sent12b
- On the one hand i think the OP just wanted to change their default folder view vs. location

Yes, that's correct. And going into the above path I didn't get to anythng that allows me to do that?

EDIT: I think I just figured it out. Went into a big folder with lots of sub-=folders, set it to List, then went into Tools Folder Options etc. So far so good.

macx, you must have known this, it's very basic
I'm not trying to insult (or intending to) But a member for 3yrs, that's a while !

Not to worry! I'm mostly a novice compared to folks like you and things that I don't do very often I tend to forget how. So, to refresh my memory when I know i've done it sometime in the past but can't remember where to find it, I turn to the experts here.

Besides, when you don't have much to brag about, there's not much to offend either! ;-)

I found this super resource when I tackled spec'ing then assembling and loading my own desktop. Never could have done it without all the great help and advice.

As I have a very wide range of interests, I don't spend a whole lot of time on any one, so come here when I encounter a problem. (also, I'm currently working 6 to 7 11's to 12's, doesn't leave a whole lot of time! - so, when I run into a problem I don't have time to fiddle with it and learn it for myself).

Thanks again to all you helpful people!!

Sure made something easy complicated! I don't imagine you want ALL the files to display in List view so this would have been the easiest way:

Open from Windows Explorer> click on View icon (NOT View on the Toolbar) to the right of word Folder > choose the view.

It's a square window with dots> click on arrow point to the right to choose view.

Pretty simple.

Hmm.... Now how many chefs does it take.... :chef: :)

As the title says, I'd love to change the default folder file listing format to LIST
rather than using icons - so it stays in that format.
..... ==> So i do think OP wants List as folder default. (Heck, my folder default is Details)

So macx, just open Explorer. Set the view you like. Click Tools->Folder Options

Click View tab, click Apply to All

Yes, actually I do want all files & folders to view in List format.
Once in awhile when I want something different then I can change
on a case by case basis.

Got it figured out, I'm now Listing ; -)

Thx guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back