How to clone old HDD with Windows 2000 to new HDD?

Marty7n

i have recently picked up a pentium 3 dell lol with what looks to be a 10gb hd lol,but it has windows 2000 and i was wondering if there is a way to clone it on to the 80gb hd?
would EasyBCD be any help here?

My personal favorite is DriveImage XML. It's user interface is not very fancy, but it worked perfectly for me.
You might need EasyBCD to make the new clone bootable.

BTW, I recently installed an 80GB hd in an old Pentium 3 computer also, but I had to set the jumpers to reduce capacity to 32GB to make it work. Just thought I'd let you know to save you some time in case you have problems. This probably depends on your BIOS, though :) .

@ lopdog yes i have 2 hard drives that are out of pentium 3 computers that i want to be able to put onto my more modern modo asus with a 3.0ghz intel processor.they will load up the windows and then a blue error screen comes up and tells me to remove the hardware and put my bios into safe mode,but there is no safe mode on it,any other ways around this?thanks

@ lopdog yes i have 2 hard drives that are out of pentium 3 computers that i want to be able to put onto my more modern modo asus with a 3.0ghz intel processor.they will load up the windows and then a blue error screen comes up and tells me to remove the hardware and put my bios into safe mode,but there is no safe mode on it,any other ways around this?thanks

Sounds as if you think you can move a HDD including the OS from one PC to another. It does not work like that. Every different PC has different components that require different driver programs to be installed for Windows to work. That is why you will almost always get blue screens.

Moving the OS and it's files onto a larger HDD in the same PC is no problem at all.

yes i seem to have went the long way about it and waisted alot of time looking at the blue screens!that last msg has been noted lol thanks lads!

Sorry, I didn't notice you were trying to boot your computer with a hard drive from another computer. As gbhall says, it won't work. I tried (just for fun) to boot my Windows 7 hdd on a Pentium 3 machine, but it did not load at all.

Did you clone anything, BTW, as you said in your first post?

You can fit the old 10GB HD as a slave in your newer PC, then you can explore the old HD and use the files on it, such as images, videos, and office type files.
But you won't get anywhere with the Win 2000 O/S as it was installed on totally different hardware, i.e. the old PC.

Back