How to completely remove a program

learninmypc

On my W7, I've been told to go to programs & features , locate the program to delete it & once done,its gone. I've since found its not that easy.
I removed SeaMonkey a few days ago by doing as mentioned, yet I just now downloaded it & when I clicked to start using it, it was as if it'd never been deleted via Programs & Features.
Ditto with Google Chrome. I dumped it a few weeks ago & when I reinstalled it, it too was like it had never been removed. I've even done a check via Start>search & nothing showed up. Going to C:program files> no SeaMonkey or Google Chrome folders or files were seen:confused: Yep, confused again.

Some of these programs will leave behind a file of your personal settings for the program when uninstalled. Also some of them will ask you when uninstalling them do you want to save your personal settings. As for were that file maybe on your drive, I am not sure. Depends on the program. I just say no when ask if I want to keep. My personal settings. This is more or less why they are as if you never uninstalled them. Hope this helps you.

I do remember it asking that & I do remember allowing it to get rid of it. I'll do a bit more searching thru my c drive to see what I can locate,if anything, thank you.

I do remember it asking that & I do remember allowing it to get rid of it. I'll do a bit more searching thru my c drive to see what I can locate,if anything, thank you.
Yeah, many programs leave a unique profile of the user(s) preferences in place after they are uninstalled. Another place this data is sometimes stored is C:/ "Application Data / User / publisher / program.

Something like C:/ Program Data / User / Learnin' / Adobe / Photoshop / Catalog

(This would be C:/ Documents and Settings / user / Application data, in Win XP)

Let me know if you need that to be exact, I'll trace it in either Win 7 or XP for you.

This is done outside the program folder itself, so that you can recover your collection in its entirety after an uninstall / reinstall situation.

This practice is to a users benefit in many cases, as a browser revision change can be effected without the loss of your bookmarks etc. (In most cases).

"Nero" burning suite used to leave 120 dead end entries into the system registry just from the act of installing it. Then, it wanted you allow it to change all you file types to Nero proprietary extensions, and God help you if you let that happen.

To completely remove the program just uninstall it from control panel and then delete the related files from Windows program files folder.
Correct me if I'm incorrect, but isn't Windows program files folder for Windows programs only? Meaning SeaMonkey or Google Chrome are not Windows specific?

captaincranky, good day & thank you for your input. On my W7 , I went to C/Program files and/or Program files (x86) & found the SeaMonkey folder & deleted it after I saved the bookmarks via the browser.
I haven't found any Google Chrome files or folders yet so maybe it is gone.:)

To completely remove the program just uninstall it from control panel and then delete the related files from Windows program files folder.

Not all programs files when uninstalled are in Windows program files. They can be in the program data file also App data file. Under Local or roaming. As captain cranky stated. The app date file is a hidden file. I have also found files for a program in the windows file before to.

@Learnmypc, Iam not sure Chrome may leave there files be hind in Program Data file. If not it might be the App data file.

I'll only know for sure when I go to reinstall either. I doubt anybody in here uses http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
but for unknown reasons WOT was/has not been updated for it & that is why I removed it. I'm just using FF & Opera now. I'm not a fan of siteadvisor, so one need not suggest it.

How do I remove anything to do with SeaMonkey from SpywareBlaster? I did try to re install SeaMonkey but it was already like it had not been deleted even thou I did a search & deleted everything, or so I thought.
I've even considered removing SpywareBlaster to get rid of the SeaMonkey files but......
Disregard. I reinstalled SeaMonkey & got rid of this addon
giving me an omnibox I can accept.

On my W7, I've been told to go to programs & features , locate the program to delete it & once done,its gone. I've since found its not that easy.
I removed SeaMonkey a few days ago by doing as mentioned, yet I just now downloaded it & when I clicked to start using it, it was as if it'd never been deleted via Programs & Features.
Ditto with Google Chrome. I dumped it a few weeks ago & when I reinstalled it, it too was like it had never been removed. I've even done a check via Start>search & nothing showed up. Going to C:program files> no SeaMonkey or Google Chrome folders or files were seen:confused: Yep, confused again.

I suggest using a program such as RevoUninstaller.
you can download it for free from Cnet
http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

However, when installing it make sure to uncheck the free software/toolbar that comes with it.

mike1959, I appreciate your input but this thread is a month old. I will look at glarysoft.com thank you.
What I have done since this thread was started, was remove it via Programs & Features & then go to C Program files & delete the folder there. I've had no problem yet,& I hope to not have problems doing it that way. :)

Hi learninmypc, Ok, I do use Revo here, but I run 32 bit W8, so I can't be sure about 64 bit S/W. I did remember the Glarysoft one from a few years back, I can't say if that will work with 64bit either...... sounds like you have found around the uninstalling problem now so that's good.
With many of the anti-virus programs, they do make their own uninstaller programs, and they can be downloaded from their own websites, the usual uninstall methods won't work.

Hi learninmypc, Ok, I do use Revo here, but I run 32 bit W8, so I can't be sure about 64 bit S/W. I did remember the Glarysoft one from a few years back, I can't say if that will work with 64bit either...... sounds like you have found around the uninstalling problem now so that's good.
With many of the anti-virus programs, they do make their own uninstaller programs, and they can be downloaded from their own websites, the usual uninstall methods won't work.
I'll check them both out later. Got me curious now.:)

I may be a little late with my reply but to answer the question about Revo Uninstaller working on 64 bit, yes it does. I am trying the trial version 3.0.2 now on Windows 7 64 bit and it is working fine with no problems. It has really helped me clean up a new system.

I may be a little late with my reply but to answer the question about Revo Uninstaller working on 64 bit, yes it does. I am trying the trial version 3.0.2 now on Windows 7 64 bit and it is working fine with no problems. It has really helped me clean up a new system.
Ok, fine. But once the trial version expires, can it be used still? On my XP I had, I always used the trial version but it never expired.:confused:

Ok, fine. But once the trial version expires, can it be used still? On my XP I had, I always used the trial version but it never expired.:confused:
I don't really know about that because my trial version has a few more days on it. All I could suggest on that is to check out their web site and see if there is a free version or install the trial and see what happens when it expires. Sorry I can't help you there.

I was going to tell you that Revo will work on 64 bit, but Kathy J, and Cobalt006 beat me to it.

I'm curious. If you wanted to completely get rid of Seamonkey. What was the reason for saving the bookmarks?

I was going to tell you that Revo will work on 64 bit, but Kathy J, and Cobalt006 beat me to it.

I'm curious. If you wanted to completely get rid of Seamonkey. What was the reason for saving the bookmarks?
Because at one time, SeaMonkey was my default browser & I didn't feel like trying to remember several hundred bookmarks so I saved them to a flashdrive.:)

Back