How to Create a Windows 10 Virtual Machine with VMware Player and VirtualBox

Julio Franco

Staff member
Short and Sweet, Next you should open up on some advanced configuration such as Network configurations,Vmware tools benefits,storage mode setups ect.

People need to know that if you use an older computer, like one with a core2duo, you'll have to stick to Vmware 12 or you'll get an error that the cpu isn't supported in Vmware 14.
Same deal with Virtualbox, but I'm not sure about the version numbers.

Your comment about "VMware Player can only be installed on Windows" is incorrect. There's a version of VMware Workstation Player for Linux also. I've been running Windows 7 VMs in Ubuntu and Mint since Microsoft started trying to install Windows 10 on Windows 7 systems. I continue to use it due to all of the problems with Windows 10. Running Windows 7 as a VM in Linux also gives me the best of both operating systems without having to reboot or run two computers.

(Editor's note: Thank you, now corrected.)

Mint isn't one of the officially supported Linux distros listed for VMware and newer versions of Mint have a problem with versions of VMWare Workstation Player after version 12. When you create a VM it won't show in the list and when you browse to it and try to open one it won't open.

You need to go to Privacy settings in the Mint program menu and tell it to remember recently accessed files (Set to "on") and Never forget old files (Set to "On") and now you can add the machine(s) to the Library.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually keep the latest Ubuntu, Win7 & a macOS running on my work laptop,
just when someone says "hey, how to you do this".

Your comment about "VMware Player can only be installed on Windows" is incorrect. There's a version of VMware Workstation Player for Linux also. I've been running Windows 7 VMs in Ubuntu and Mint since Microsoft started trying to install Windows 10 on Windows 7 systems. I continue to use it due to all of the problems with Windows 10. Running Windows 7 as a VM in Linux also gives me the best of both operating systems without having to reboot or run two computers.

(Editor's note: Thank you, now corrected.)

Mint isn't one of the officially supported Linux distros listed for VMware and newer versions of Mint have a problem with versions of VMWare Workstation Player after version 12. When you create a VM it won't show in the list and when you browse to it and try to open one it won't open.

You need to go to Privacy settings in the Mint program menu and tell it to remember recently accessed files (Set to "on") and Never forget old files (Set to "On") and now you can add the machine(s) to the Library.
I'm running W10 guest in LM 20 without any problems. My install problems were VMware tools and finding my W10 Product Key. The VMware tools issue has been sorted but I still can't find the Product Key. VMware certainly makes life easier; much easier than rebooting. Also, I love saving an W10 image. So much faster than booting from scratch. This wold be a nice feature in Linux Mint.

Back