How to disable Windows Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBE300

Hello All,

I would like to stop windows media player from giving me pop ups everytime I connect thumb drives to my PC. I am really sick of the Device Setup (add to library) window I get everytime I connect a external drive or usb stick. I work with a ton of media daily and this is really starting to be a headache I do not want under Vista.

I searched the boards and the help file but I didn't find anything. I went through the setup and options with a fine tooth comb and again came up short. Anyone able to help out on this? I would basically like to disable WMP unless I open it directly. I have changed my defaults on my pc and the files (in favor of VLC) but I am still getting the pop ups. Thanks a lot for any/all help.

Cheers,
GBE300.

Have you tried taking it off of Startup?

Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK WMP processes> Apply> OK> Reboot.

NOTE: You will get a nag message on reboot that you can ignore after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selectiv4e Startup.

Thanks Bobbye, I am pretty sure tho I have it set to disable or manual already. I will double check though.

NOTE: You will get a nag message on reboot that you can ignore after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selectiv4e Startup.

msconfig can help when you want to play/experiment with enabling/disabling various services, programs, etc. and is best when used for "safe" experimentation. Once you've determined what you want to do, enabling/disabling services, programs, etc. should be made permanent by via Windows standard method to config this stuff, e.g. via System Services config, Program startups list, etc.

For the case of Windows Media Player, at least XP you could simply check a box to disable. For Vista, try looking here

msconfig can help when you want to play/experiment with enabling/disabling various services, programs, etc. and is best when used for "safe" experimentation.
You are inferring that a system should not be left in Selective Startup. That is not correct. Virtually every program installed puts itself on the Startup menu. Many users don't realize that most of them don't need to stay there.

Using the msconfig utility and remaining in Selective Startup is a quick, efficient and safe way to control Start ups. All of my systems get pared down and left in Selective Startup by Day 2. It causes no problem whatsoever.

I warn users about the nag message because if they are not aware of it and that they can ignore and close it, many go back into Normal Startup and undo what they just did.

The whole point of the msconfig utility is to
- easily and confidently do diagnostic testing of your current configuration of the various Windows startups (programs, services, etc.)
- AND just as easily and confidently be able to fallback to your current configuration at any time (without worry of having to remember all your changes and what you turned off/changed in msconfig and just what was set to what)

Using selective startup for your current config is fine... until the next big problem when you need to do diagnostic testing again. Now, everytime you use msconfig you are essentially MODIFYING YOUR CURRENT CONFIG AS WELL.

Everyone should use their computer as they want. But would suggest it's safest and more reliable to use msconfig as a diagnostic tool without trying to use it for "double duty" and it BECOMES your standard config as well.

Actually, I've had little use for msconfig as a diagnostic, rather enjoyed it use to be selective. Perhaps some others might have a different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back