How to Get Your Significant Other Into Gaming

Or have a truly healthy relationship where you don't have to spend every waking minute outside of work together and both have your own hobbies, weird concept for many I know. I have lost many gaming friends due to girlfriends/ spouses demanding they do something with them instead. These weren't heavy gamers either, someone who would jump on for maybe 5-8 hours a week, most of that on the weekends later at night. I have left 3 relationships because I wasn't allowed to game or work on computers, even late at night with one of them. One of them expected me to be into all of her hobbies while just ignoring mine and trying to get me to do other things that she could enjoy to, that I had no interest in, then was shocked when I broke it off with her.

It was fairly easy getting my gf into gaming even though she hadn't done anything before more than CandyCrush on her phone. First of all, she's very competitive. But wants to be good at something right away. She also likes to do things together, and lastly she enjoys puzzles. Plenty of games to do that. I introduced her to some easy single-player and co-op games:

Papers, Please
Stardew Valley
Rocket League
Sonic All-Star Racing

Let her learn at her own pace and on co-op games let her be the leader/winner many times so she wouldn't get discouraged. Most importantly, wasn't a backseat driver with, "do this now, don't do that," comments. I let her ask if she wanted help.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd......she's hooked!

Usually girls are more interested to focus their significant others' attention on THEMSELVES rather than focusing on games...

Oops

Never let your GF try an MMO with lots of character customization, a big costume and pet selection and lots of crafting. You will never see her again.

I hope you are also preparing an article with the headline "How to get your significant other to stop gaming so much and get out in the real world."

"Make it about their pleasure, not about yours."

Exactly! The #1 crusher of relationships is selfishness. It breaks more marriages than anything else. The other person does need to understand you need personal time - in moderation. When you focus more on yourself than them there is a problem. How can you love someone else when you love yourself over them?

She liked NFS Porsche unleashed ,back in the day,but she would only play if I set up a certain track ,the Autobaun, and a faster car for her... I allways had 2 rigs with wheel and peddles, but she couldn't drive the dog off the couch...really , she start wrestling, to get one of the Beagles to move and would take a beating every time.

she thought the Xbox with connect was ok ,until I stomped on her,
She liked soaps to much.

gone a few months now after 30 years on and off., .and

I ....FEEL..... FREE !

My buddy ran off with my wife,(sniffle), he was a good buddy too,I'm gonna miss him!

Last edited:
Each relationship is different, but most relationships have things in common and things that are not in common.

To me, gaming is silly and a total waste of time. To play games in the presence of others is crude. People deserve attention.

However, I see that other people don't agree so to make a relationship work is not about getting the other to join in your passion, but to be passionate about the other's needs.

My wife is too disciplined to get into gaming; once or twice a year we will play Mario Party on the N64 or GameCube, but that's about it. She has had one instance where she played for hours; Sims 3 one time. In 14 years. She never played it again. Her interests, discipline, and priorities do not allow for much in the way of gaming. Best solution is to just do those things she enjoys instead; watching tv shows, playing Mille Bornes, going bowling, etc. Shaping doesn't always work, in that case just focus on what she enjoys.

My wife enjoys playing The Sims 3 but she seems to be getting bored of the game. I've been trying to help her find other games to play but her interests are quite limited. I'm going to introduce her to stardew valley however I doubt she will like it.

Back