How to heal unrecognizeble mp4 video and jpeg files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have a nasty problem and I don’t see a standard solution to it. Recently I made some unique pictures and video clips of interesting people in another country, they can’t be repeated and now part of them are ruined.

I was using a cell phone Nokia N73 to shoot both pics and video clips. I had a 2 GB memory card in the phone. Everything was going well at first. Then, apparently when the card got about 50% full it couldn’t take any more data. The video clip that was being shot at the time the memory card approached 50% came out unrecognizeble. Both the phone or any pc software can’t read it. Which is worse is that the previous couple of videos became unrecognizable too. For example if I shot vid1, vid2, vid3, vid4 and the card broke at vid5, the otherwise perfectly working vid4 and vid3 became unrecognizable too.

Same goes for the pictures. I stopped shooting once this happened, but the last couple of pictures also became unrecognizable.

I can’t open the video files with any program. It says Windows media player encountered a problem. BS player gives me Error! Movie size 0x0. No player can recognize the file as video.

What gives me some hope is that the files are not actually empty. For example one clip that can’t be read is 310 MB, another is 288 MB. Can someone suggest a way to fix those files? Maybe some software that will analize the data bit by bit and put it in order?

The message that I get on the jpeg files is: Photo Gallery can’t open this picture, the file appears to be damaged or corrupted. I don’t know what to do with those either. Any ideas would be very appreciated.

have you tried the latest version of Quicktime which i know has MP4 support if the files can be read that will do it, although it's sounding like the files are corrupted beyond use.

ok, if at anytime anyone comes to this post and has an idea, please drop me a line at at_grigorov @ yahoo.com. no matter when.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back