How to install current HDD into new build

I am taking my current CPU an i5 9600k which is currently installed on an Asrock b360 HDV and putting onto a brand new Gigabyte Aorus pro z390 board.

I am transferring my current ram sticks 16gb of Hyper X fury onto the new Z390 board.

I have a brand new 970 plus 1tb Nvme which is going into the new Z390 board.

I am going to copy Windows onto a USB to do a fresh install.

My OS is currently on an WD 120gb SSD but I am not going to use that in the new build as the new 970 evo will replace that.

I have a 1tb HDD on my current PC which holds my games and photos although there's not that much data on it.

My question is once I have built the new PC with a brand new fresh 970 evo plus and installed Windows using a USB drive can I simply plug in my old HDD into the new build with my games after on it or will I need to do some sort of formatting/wiping before or after for the HDD specifically? This is where I can't seem to find an exact answer online so any help is appreciated!

The current SSD which has my OS on it won't be used in the new PC and I will use a USB with Windows 10 to put onto the new 970 evo plus.

The HDD I have is a year old and is a Seagate Barracuda 1tb.

For clarity parts listed below:

Current PC
Asrock B360 HDV Mobo - not putting into new build
I5 9600k - is going into new build
Cooler Master 400w power supply - not going into new build
Hyper fury 2x 8gb - is going into new build
Case and fans - is being used for new build
1060 6gb - not going into new build
WD 120gb ssd - not going into new build, contains current OS
Seagate Barracuda 1tb - wanting to put into new build once OS is installed on new NVME samsung evo plus

New PC
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro mobo - Brand new
I5 9600k - from current PC
Corsair RMX 750 - Brand new
Gigabyte 2070 super - Brand new
Hyper x Fury 2x 8gb - From current PC
Case & Fans - From current PC
Samsung Evo Plus 970 1tb - brand new
Seagate Barracuda 1tb - from current PC

Your issue is with the motherboard drivers. You will need to download directly from the providers website new copies which match those devices.

@jamie04GTI If your games are on the Windows program list you would have to reinstall them on the new 970 drive.

Normally, you can exchange data only drives between machines without any issues. I do it all the time. The only glitch happens when the new data drive has the same drive letter assigned as one already in the machine. Then you have to go into "computer management"> storage, and reassign a new letter to the new drive. This action will break all your shortcuts, but since you won't have shortcuts other than the ones the new Windows 10 install will create, you'd have to create them again anyway..

As to whether or not the game scenery module is independent of the game program and is installed separately, I do not know. I'm not a gamer, and my experience is with drives containing video and image files,. Those files and the drive containing then are completely indifferent to whatever machine they're in.

Assuming the worst and you have to reinstall the scenery files, just delete as many files as necessary, keeping the ones which are still accessible.

Then defragment the HDD to put the remaining files into adjacent blocks, which makes them easier for the drive to read.

The file path for that action is, Computer > right click on the drive's letter letter> chose the :"Properties" > "tools (a tab) > then "Defragmen"t, (A big button.).

A bit more complicated is the path to all storage actions is:: Control Panel> All control panel items> Administrative tools > Storage. Then right click on the drive's Letter panel, choose "properties" > tools (tab) > "Defragment" (big button). You can also forma a new hard drive if necessary from there.

Any new HDD won't show up in computer until it is formatted

Caution: Do not ever defragment an SSD, only hard drives need this action performed.

Last edited:
Your issue is with the motherboard drivers. You will need to download directly from the providers website new copies which match those devices.
A brand new motherboard is going to have a CD with all the necessary drivers included, as will the 2070 video card.

As long as our TS selects only the driver package, and doesn't fall prey to installing all the "value added" crap software which will undoubtedly be included on the disc.

The only thing suspect is the NMVE SSD, and I believe Windows 10 is equipped with drivers to handle those.

Win 7 has issues working with new type USB 3.xx, and NMVE SSDs drivers not being included, but Win 10 should have them included

Last edited:
Back