How to install Win XP on Win Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddy04

i want to format c drive in which windows vista is installed and i want to intall windows xp.

i have created a windows XP bootable pendrive from which i can run the setup of windows XP.

i changed the boot options to boot from pendrive and the boot process starts.

i select the option of installing windows XP.

then i get option to choose the partition on which XP has to be installed.

the problem comes here - the option shows only the drive letter of pendrive. there is no c drive option available.

the list shows -
U: Partition <USB_XO_710> [FAT] 1956MB (1220MB FREE)

there is option to install xp , delete partition or make partiton

plz tell me how to remove windows vista and install winXP in c drive?

If XP is unable to see your boot drive then you may need to load some drivers when setup starts. When setup first starts there should be a message that says to press F6 to load additional drivers.

Normally XP will be looking for the drivers on a floppy disk but there may be a way to have it read off of the thumb drive. That's the only thing I can think of.

Yes, pressing F6 is the way to install SATA/RAID controller drivers but make sure you have them in the first place. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Windows XP will only recognize a floppy drive for this but I guess it can't hurt to try.

One alternative is to make a slipstream CD which combines the original Windows XP CD with the appropriate drivers (if they are available for your motherboard). It is a lengthy process so google for the procedure.

I Cuiled it

I Cuiled (Cuil-cool Cuiled-cooled) it and the instructions are here: http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html
You may also need to use vLite: http://www.vlite.net/help/drivers.html
You will need to get the drivers. Also... to slipstream Service Packs in... for vLite: http://www.vlite.net/help/drivers.html For nLite: http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html
You will need the Service Pack!
Sidenotes Cuil- cuil.com
nLite: nliteos.com
vLite: vlite.net
vLite is in RC.
If you can't install a version of nLite made to run on Vista, run nLite in XP compatability before running vLite.
Cuil is a search engine
Latest XP 32 bit SP: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en
DO NOT INSTALL THROUGH WINDOWS UPDATE!!!

this is sounding so complicated process...

will making a bootable cd be much easier then this process?

Can u plz guide me step by step...

I have downloaded vlite and nlite and XP service pack2

I ran nlite. it asked me the path where the winXP installation files were kept and I gave the required path. then it asked for the path of service pack2. then I clicked on next and interegeration was done.
then I clicked on finish.

has the required process done? is there anything more I have to do?

what do I have to do now? how to use vlite? when I open vlite the screen which appears is shown as attachment.

plz tell step by step what to do ?

Attachments

• vlite.JPG
    vlite.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
About vLite...

I mentioned vLite in the event that nLite could not run on Vista. nLite did, therefore vLite is not needed now. It will be useful in creating a customized Vista CD/DVD. You did get the drivers for your hard drive, right? I don't know what your hard drive is, so I only put the SP3 32 bit download. If you read Part 2 of the guide (I was referring to the entire guide), it will tell you how to intergrate drivers.

I ran nlite with service pack 2.

and I booted using the pendrive. still the same problem persists. there is no option of installing win xp on c drive.

should I download service pack 3 and run nlite with it?

1 point to note is that when I run setup in window mode the option of install windows XP is grey that means I cant excess in window mode. the jpg image will help u understand better(attachment).
does this mean that I have to 1st format windows vista and then only I can run winXP setup?
is this y the c drive option is not coming when I boot from pen drive?
is this because I am downgrading the OS?
if so then how do I remove vista?

if the same pen drive I run in a system with winXP installed, all the drive options come in display.

plz guide what to do?

Attachments

• xp.JPG
    xp.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1
Drivers!!!!

You need to get the drivers for your hard drive!!!! Then you need to intergrate them into XP with nLite!!!! But, yes it would be a good idea to intergrate SP3 into XP as Microsoft is dropping XP support for all XP OS's without SP3 soon. The reason "Install Windows XP" is greyed out is because you can't upgrade to XP from Vista. You have to boot from it and do a clean install to downgrade.

i am sry but i am not able to understand how to get the drivers.

plz explain step by step and slowly.

cant i simply format mine c drive and remove vista and then install XP?

How to get the drivers

Go to your hard drive manufacturer's site. Look for the drivers for your drive. If you can find them, download them. If you cannot find them, post your hard drive manufacturer and model here.

i am using a dell inspiron1525 laptop.

where can i get the model no.? at the back of the laptop there is a model no.PP29L. is this the harddisk model no.?

if not then how and where should i search for it?

XP

You're on to something. Click on XP (as you need XP compatable drivers) and download them all. Intergrate them (as shown in the guide) and boot from the CD/DVD. One of those drivers should work!

i have a little different situation.

i got hold of bootable and installation disc of windows vista. Using that i formatted my c drive.. Then i inserted bootable disc of winXP and booted my pc. the setup started and files were loaded. i selected the option of installing winXP. On pressing enter a msg came that disk driver were not found on my pc.
so re-inserted winVISTA cd and installed winVISTA again. the setup ran perfectly. there was no disk drivers error.
can u tell y so?

now i have downloaded the driver form the link which sent to u earlier. when i double click the file that was downloaded, the files were extracted in a folder as given in intallation instructions website. but then no setup starts.

now how to install the driver? what should i do to install the driver so that i can run winXP setup?

In my opinion you should be concentrating on adding SATA drivers to the slipstream CD. Adding service packs is nice but isn't necessary at this point and will not do anything to solve the original Windows SATA hard drive recognition problem. In my opinion this extra step is just confusing you. You can always add any service packs after Windows successfully installs.

Here is a fairly simple guide you can try to follow: http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back