How to remove icons from taskbar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

I have recently had to reformat my C drive and reload everything.

Now I have 2 icons that show up in the taskbar and I can't find out how
to remove them.

Question - when they show up in the taskbar, they're starting up when
Windows starts? I do not want these applications to load when I start
Windows.

I tried to run ipconfig (I seem to remember that has something to do with
selecting programs for that taskbar) but when I click on OK it shows for
a split second then disappears. How do I prevent that from happening?
I've used ipconfig before and that's not happened before.

Thanks!!

Haha Ipconfig is the ip configuration utility for your internet setting eg ip address, gateways etc.

you want msconfig ;)

Go start> run then type in msconfig into the run box then go to start up and disable the relevant entries.

To run ipconfig you need to do Start> Run> type "cmd" THEN type ipconfig (thats if you need to configure internet settings.)

I'm not sure what you are saying about IPConfig (this program shows your IP Network Configuration :rolleyes: And is run from a command prompt)

You are speaking about MSConfig. But I wouldn't suggest you leave your computer in Diagnostic Mode anyway.
A much better program is: Startup Control Panel

Those "icons" you are talking about, exactly what are they? And where on the taskbar are they located? Because there's extra Toolbars (like Quick Launch etc) You could have Speech icons as well, or you could have actual programs starting with Windows (these icons found near your system clock)

If you are talking about programs (and their Taskbar icons) starting with Windows
The best option is to open the program itself, and locate and turn off "Start with Windows" One of the worst ones, that does this is MSN Messenger

To run ipconfig you need to do Start> Run> type "cmd" THEN type ipconfig
Hey rev_olie, you can start IPConfig from Run as well ;)

Start --> Run--> cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt < ok>

The above will create an IPConfig log (Notepad file) on your Desktop
I always quote this when asking users to attach an IPConfig log

Haha just beat you to that post :p

It just seems another easy option to run it from cmd before adding run extensions. Also sometimes when i run it simply from rum it may disappear but then cmd works.
However i will remember that from now on as i didn't realise that that creates a log. Probably more useful...see you do learn something everyday.

I'm not sure what you are saying about IPConfig (this program shows your IP Network Configuration :rolleyes: And is run from a command prompt)

Goes to show that I don't mess with this stuff every day, just try to use the computer
for what I want to do. I remember the diff now that you mention it.

Those "icons" you are talking about, exactly what are they? And where on the taskbar are they located? Because there's extra Toolbars (like Quick Launch etc) You could have Speech icons as well, or you could have actual programs starting with Windows (these icons found near your system clock)

The ones I want to get rid of - I believe they indicate the program launches when I start Windows? and I don't want to load up my RAM more than necessary with stuff I use only occasionally - they're in the taskbar (bottom of the screen) in the area right next to the clock. I do have Quick Launch but that's over by START. Actually know what that is!
If you are talking about programs (and their Taskbar icons) starting with Windows
The best option is to open the program itself, and locate and turn off "Start with Windows"

I've tried that but couldn't find the command to turn off.

I'm a "user" not an "it engineer" so have to keep it as simple as possible so I don't forget from time to time. Case in point.

Thanks!

I see

Well if you cannot find the area that says "Start with Windows" in the (unknown) program itself. Then just use the Startup Control Panel, I linked in Blue text above, to stop any not required Windows startups

MSconfig worked fine, was able to deselect running the Utility and going into diagnostic mode at every startup while leaving out the programs I wished not
to start.

Computer seems to run faster, opens things quicker now. Found other things were opening at startup besides the 2 I wanted to prevent starting, incl office and another rather large one. I'm sure that freed up some significant RAM.

Thanks!

PS I'll look into that link, too.

MSconfig is not ideal
It will leave your computer in Diagnostic mode, and actually causes another startup (MSconfig diagnostic mode hidden startup)

As you have decided to go this way, we must now fix MSconfig from always doing this

Download Msconfig Cleanup

Ideally, instead of using Msconfig and Registry to remove common startups, it's always better to use the program's settings, usually selecting:
Disable Startup checkbox

Using the above program (MSconfig Cleanup) will help your computer get back to Normal startup, but without your disabled entries. ie it's perfect for this (Diagnostic) situation

In future, If you cannot find the programs "Start with Windows" configuration, best to use Startup Control Panel ;)

There was a checkbox that I checked that said Don't Start the config utility or start in Diagnostic mode, so apparently it doesn't do either when that box is checked?

Now when I start up it doesn't show any indication of Diagnostic Mode or the Utility running. I just now did it on my laptop at work after I doubled my RAM and viva le difference!! And any Office app starts up with no delay even though I shut off Office from auto starting.

Thanks for the help !

That's very confusing macx.

Just run the MSconfig Cleanup utility (it's free) And it will help

The tick "not to show" Just hides MSconfig from you, but it is still starting up

Anyway, others reading, make sure not to use MSconfig, unless you are just using it temporarily, ie what it's intended for!

PS - Tried to download your Startup Control Panel but even though I temp allowed evereything on your page (NoScript) I can't find it on my computer. A download (?) window flashes very briefly so it looks like it's downloading, but I can't find it.
Thought I'd try that companion thing, too, about startup notification.

Found it - just opened the Downloader and went from there.

Have it installed, should be a big help for non-tech users like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back