How to stop Paint from opening when editing a picture?

macx

XP SP3, Windows 7

My friend at work started Paint to work with a picture, but now every picture he opens goes automatically to Paint. He doesn't remember what he did and wants to use Paint only when he needs it for something specific.

I Exited from Paint and could open a JPEG in Picture & Fax Viewer (downloaded from his camera so not imported in Paint), but when I tried to Edit the picture, it went to Paint instead of the Edit function in Picture and Fax Viewer

We don't have Admin rights so can't go into MS Config to deselect it from auto starting, altho I'm not sure that's what's causing the problem. I don't believe he somehow set it up to Auto Run on startup without Admin rights. He's restarted several times since he did this and it still happens.

I also tried to go into My Documents / All Users / Startup but was blocked from going any further without those Admin rights.

Appreciate any expert advice!​

OK, making a little progress.

Didn't realize it before, but Pict & Fax Viewer doesn't have a default image editor, therefore when trying to Edit the picture automatically opens in Paint.

What we need to do is get back to having the picture open with Office Picture Manager where there IS an edit function.

However, when right clicking on a picture and go to Open With, the option to open with Picture Manager doesn't appear.
I checked and the program is still in his computer.

I believe it used to be his default picture viewer, but how can we restore Picture Manager as the default viewer if it doesn't
even show in the Open With tab and we don't have admin rights?

Thanks!

Can you browse to office picture manager using the browse button at the bottom of the "open with" page?

Back