How to undelete a single file that has a bad sector

How can I recover a deleted file that has a bad sector? I've done loads of deleted file recoveries in my time and loads of file with bad clusters before but never have I had to deal with both at the same time.

The file is a Windows 7 desktop VM vhd on a Hyper-V 2008 R2 server and the bad sector doesn't appear to have mangled anything important but the automatic backup failed (probably due to the bad sector) so the last working backup we have is pretty old. The file would not copy due to cyclic redundancy errors (even xcopy /c wouldn't work) and my incredibly ill thought out backup batch routine managed to delete the original (note to self: always expect the unexpected). Of course I shut down the system immediately after I realised what had happened.

Anyway, how do I go about recovering this single file?
Are there any undelete programs out there that can do 'in situ undeletes' rather than 'recoveries'? I'm just worried any recovery utilities that rely on copying data elsewhere will also fall foul of that Cyclic redundancy error.

Or am I just going to have to wait until I get a second drive and do a sector by sector clone of the drive and hope the recovery works from there? Will this even work?

Any other ideas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector
If any of the files uses a sector which is marked as 'bad' by disk utility then the bad sector of the file is remapped to a free sector and any unreadable data is lost.
Meaning since file integrity could not be maintained, data was lost before remapping the clusters. I'm sorry but there is nothing you can do to short of manually rebuilding the lost data from scratch.

Back