HP a1130n with a MS-7093 Ver 120 motherboard needs new videocard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP Pavillion a1130n with a MS-7093 Ver 120 motherboard which needs a new video card, and I have installed a new video card, but it still does not work.

This motherboard has a built in video card, but since it is not working I need to install a new one, but I am not sure if and how I tell the computer to use the new card and not the built in which does not work. I cannot get into the BIOS because I cannot see anything. Any suggestions on how to do this blind, or how to override? I looked for a switch on the motherboard to override/clear the BIOS or CMOS, but I cannot find one anywhere, so I do not know if I am just looking in the wrong places, or if it is not there, or maybe if I just should not be going that route at all......

Any assistance would be appreciated.

The video card is Nvidia PNY 5200 256 MB GeForce Graphics Card -- PCI

I made sure that is was compatible with the power supply before installing it.

Im pretty sure you can boot from your windows repair disk and it will grant you access to tinker with settings, and there's a way to enter safe mode which would allow you to see once again. Before installing the new one did you disable the old?

Im pretty sure you can boot from your windows repair disk and it will grant you access to tinker with settings, and there's a way to enter safe mode which would allow you to see once again. Before installing the new one did you disable the old?

This is where the problem comes in....I do not know how to disable the old one.

This is where the problem comes in....I do not know how to disable the old one.

Control panel->System->Hardware tab->Device manager->Display Adapters-> and right click the 6150s (I assume this is the built in one). Then click uninstall. Then plug your new card into the PCI-Ex16 slot, and install the drivers.

Control panel->System->Hardware tab->Device manager->Display Adapters-> and right click the 6150s (I assume this is the built in one). Then click uninstall. Then plug your new card into the PCI-Ex16 slot, and install the drivers.

OK, now the real challenge comes in, how do I do this without seeing the screen? Or should I be able to see with a bad adapter? This is why I put in the new card first. And the one I have is a PCI not a PCI-E, but that should not matter.

Install it into the PCI slot closest to the CPU. If you still have no video, the card is defective. You can try reseting the CMOS by unplugging the computer and pulling out the silver button battery on the motherboard. wait a couple of minutes, and reinstall the battery. Plug the computer back in and try booting up

Pulling the battery button from the computer, and unplugging did not do anything. It is installed into the highest slot.

I have even tried bypassing by hitting the F2 key doing bootup, but nothing. I have to test the card elsewhere to make sure it works, but after calling their tech support, they said that I have to disable the on board first... which brings me back to square one.

Do motherboard just go out of the blue? The video was giving challenges, but would come back, and then it was just gone. I thought it was the monitor, but when I changed monitors it didn't change, which got me to this point.

I did the F1, F5, enter, F10, enter......resetting the BIOS blind, and still nothing, so now I have to test the video card on another computer, but that one has a built in as well, so I may have the same problem....not wanting to mess up something which is working on th other computer.

Like any other electronic device? YES they can go bad out of the blue. Most common of the failures have to do with on-board video and sound

And I presume that when they go a new video card does not do the trick because the video component of the Motherboard is damaged.....?

Well somewhere along the way I must have done something right, because it works.

I reset the BIOS and CMOS and also installed a new version of the BIOS, that must have done the trick.

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back