HP: All our PCs will run webOS from next year

Emil

Staff

Hewlett-Packard is more serious about its newly acquired webOS platform than we ever thought before. It will soon be available on every new HP PC – that's what the recently appointed HP CEO, Leo Apotheker, is claiming, according to BusinessWeek:

Apotheker says he also wants to make better use of WebOS, the computer-operating system acquired last year when Hewlett- Packard purchased smartphone maker Palm Inc. for $1.2 billion. Starting next year, every one of the PCs shipped by HP will include the ability to run WebOS in addition to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows, Apotheker said.

The move is aimed at enticing software developers to create a wider range of applications that would differentiate HP PCs, printers, tablets and phones from those sold by rivals. "You create a massive platform," Apotheker said.

The number of apps for webOS is far below the numbers for iOS and Android: the platform only has about 6,000 to its name. Even Windows Phone 7 has more apps. HP's goal is to encourage developers to develop apps for webOS and make it a viable alternative to all the other operating systems already available.

HP completed its acquisition of Palm for $1.2 billion in July 2010. Despite suspicions by many that the company would kill webOS, so far it has done the exact opposite. Five months ago, HP officially introduced webOS 2.0, the most significant update to the platform since its launch in 2009, along with the Palm Pre 2, the first device to sport it.

Permalink to story.

Interestingly move, I hope they put in serious effort in this one, and perhaps help create a more 'competitive' OS market.

HP have taken many bold moves recently. A lot in fact. Ever since HP bought Compaq (or atleast some of their shares) moves like this one, the WebOS, are starting to literary spawn from HP. The WebOS-idea might just be a little too much.

How many of you remember Excelstore? Well, their innovative tactics got them to where they are today it seems. This might seem like a *very* bold statement, but I personally think HP might just be too innovative - and it might be their doom. Why you ask? HP is earning more than ever before, are'nt they? This could result in HP becoming a really big competitor over the years, who really knows?

One should keep in mind though, that before Google's creativity, many companies leapt for glory, but many have also fallen because of it. Not that I'm complaining though, I love innovativeness, and I hope HP's move pays off :) . I'm just saying.

I haven't tried WebOS but from what I've read, it is a very innovative OS that deserves attention and didn't deserve the death it got. BUT for everyone that says that more competition is a good thing, on one hand you're right BUT just imagine developers had to try and make a game for example on 4 different OS's. How long do you think it would take, what type of quality would the game be and how often would it be updated? There is advantage in less options believe it or not. As long as those options aren't abused.

Will definitely try this but only to see if i should implement it on "normal" users, not for me even if if takes less click than in their softwares :p

That will be quite interesting but I hope the OS will have as much features or more than existing windows OS that they currently use..

This is a very smart move on their part. They have little to lose besides the development costs. I'm guessing that it will function like the Express Gate on ASUS boards, but with more functionality. The more people can get done by using the WebOS, without booting into Windows, the more of them will be likely to buy a machine without Windows on it, just WebOS.

If they can ensure that relatively cheap hardware will run the software very fast, then they can probably snag themselves a few percent of market share before Windows 8 comes out.

Competition = better products from everyone.

Oh no :) HP FAIL again, seriously, what can HP do that Microsoft, Apple, Linux has not already done so far. I doubt that they will start distributing their PC's with this OS. Consumer products from HP are quite DOA anyways, I have dealt with HP for over 6~7 on a daily basis. It is one brand that I would not recommend to my biggest enemy. Good luck to them anyway.

There's a good likelihood this will be little more than an "instant on" environment similar to how HP uses Linux at the moment.

It may not be be the Windows competitor people are thinking.

DSP8000 said:
Oh no :) HP FAIL again, seriously, what can HP do that Microsoft, Apple, Linux has not already done so far. I doubt that they will start distributing their PC's with this OS. Consumer products from HP are quite DOA anyways, I have dealt with HP for over 6~7 on a daily basis. It is one brand that I would not recommend to my biggest enemy. Good luck to them anyway.

Uh microsoft apple and HP are companies. Linux is an OS.

What can HP (webOS) offer that Microsoft (Windows 7), Apple (OS X), and Linux don't currently have available?

HP, you're a little late to the show. Google is already doing this and has far more clout than you.

it makes pefect sense, HP releasing their own OS...on their own Hardware.....platforms are standard.....Mr Perfect

Back