HP DV2000 charging, but not turning on

FatTwinkie

Howdy!

I'm having a problem with an HP DV2000 laptop that I can't seem to figure out.

A couple weeks ago I got this laptop from a buddy that said doesn't work. Said I could have it since its no use to him. It came with a battery but no charger and has been known to work. I took it home and plugged in my universal. When using my universal, I found it didn't have the power to start everything up, so I was out of luck on that.

I ordered a knock off charger (Those $30 ones you can order off Ebay or Amazon) and thought that would have done the trick. When attempting to use the new charger and pushing the power button, I could have swore I smelt something burning but wasn't too sure. Anyways, while still using the knock off charger, the light at the end of the charging port lights up signaling there is power getting to it, BUT the battery charging light doesn't appear and the computer still doesn't power on. No other lights, no beeps, no display, no nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

"Does anyone have any ideas?"

yes, the motherboard is fried. You can get HP laptop motherboards from EBay too, sometimes for under $100

"Does anyone have any ideas?"

yes, the motherboard is fried. You can get HP laptop motherboards from EBay too, sometimes for under $100

That's what I was thinking, but a few people I asked gave the idea of the new charger not working properly since its a cheap knock off, so I just wanted to be sure.

When I second guess myself I would rather just be positive by asking other people than to be wrong and do something stupid to waste money and so on, haha.

Back