HP DV6000 white screen

evilfox

Hello
Here is situation. got hp 6000. when turning it on it shows white screen only. connecting to external display works just fine. disconnected the lcd cable from motherboard and connected to another hp 6000 lcd with cable works just fine. so assuming gpu isnt dead as external monitor works. and so is the lcd + cable as it has been verified working on another display.
now im out of options what may be gone wrong. any ideas ??? :)

p.s. friend told me that maybe lvds output is dead. if it so is it fixable?

I my self would take it to a repair shop. But their are a few on here. That will be able to help you. Just hold on a little.

Ahh sorry, misread your post. thought you tried a diffrent screen and it worked.

Motherboard issue?

No, clearly a screen issue. You need a new screen. It's possible to fix the old one but the work is expensive unless you do it yourself, and then the fix is dicey unless you know what you're doing. It's time for a new monitor or a replacement screen.

how it can bee screen issue if I have two screens hp! both works with one hp and dont work with this hp? just wondering ......

Hmmm, I seem to have misread your initial post. So, you have a laptop, and the built in screen is just colored white after it boots, but if you connect an external monitor to the video output on the same laptop you get a good picture? And when you take the built in screen off of the laptop, and place it on another laptop you get a good picture on the screen again? And the "LCD cable" is the thin ribbon cable that is usually hidden inside the laptop?

Hmmm, I seem to have misread your initial post. So, you have a laptop, and the built in screen is just colored white after it boots, but if you connect an external monitor to the video output on the same laptop you get a good picture? And when you take the built in screen off of the laptop, and place it on another laptop you get a good picture on the screen again? And the "LCD cable" is the thin ribbon cable that is usually hidden inside the laptop?
yes now you understood right :)

Ok, so if you took the screen off of the second laptop and placed it on the laptop with the white screen, does the replacement screen also turn all white?

I know from bitter experience that this model has an overheating issue, which can melt the solder on the graphics chip! If this has happened, it could produce the symptoms you describe (although it normally causes total failure I.e. black screen). If so, it's not a good outlook, though there are a few (strange!) procedures online, involving heating it up to melt the solder again etc.
Sorry to be so negative, but if I'm right, it's a bad one! :(

I know from bitter experience that this model has an overheating issue, which can melt the solder on the graphics chip! If this has happened, it could produce the symptoms you describe (although it normally causes total failure I.e. black screen). If so, it's not a good outlook, though there are a few (strange!) procedures online, involving heating it up to melt the solder again etc.
Sorry to be so negative, but if I'm right, it's a bad one! :(
well im familiar with black screen had several of them reviving them heating up till 200 degrees and then works for some time but this is first who isnt black screen but white and works even on external monitor. I allredy heated this one but same problem so I was wondering maybe problem is somewhere els besides gpu

OK, so we know it's something inside the clam shell then. I would start replacing the objects in between the video card & the screen. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that. I don't work on laptops that much. Maybe the screen's power inverter contains the fault?

OK, so we know it's something inside the clam shell then. I would start replacing the objects in between the video card & the screen. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that. I don't work on laptops that much. Maybe the screen's power inverter contains the fault?
if it was inverter fault there would be no backlight so that rolls out inverter :)

yep, true. So besides the inverter, what else is there that can be replaced? Or what other devices between the video card and screen are there?

Okay I am pretty familiar with this laptop I own a computers repair shop & we repair a lot of laptops. These are the 4 things that cause this problem. 1.) Bad LCD 2.) Malfunctioning LCD Inverter 3.) LCD Video Cable (Plugs into back of LCD Screen) 4.) Bad System Board. I usually start with replacing the LCD cable. Some of the weirdest video problems have been caused by that cable in my experience. Next I look at the LCD Inverter when this goes out you will normally see a very faint video display on the laptops LCD, you may need to shine a flash light at the screen to see the display. Next would be the LCD Screen itself you will normally not see any thing at all in the way of video and the screen will be completely dark (Note: this could be caused by a bad inverter too) but if you plug in an external monitor the video is perfect, if the video displayed on the external monitor is colored funny like has a red, blue or green tint you may have multiple parts requiring replacement. When I get those I order all 3 parts to fix the video subsystem (Inverter, LCD Cable, LCD Screen) Best place for an end user to secure parts is on eBay make sure you disassemble the laptop first and get the exact part numbers from the laptop your repairing. PLEASE NOTE THE HP DV2000 & DV6000's ARE PLAGUED WITH VIDEO PROBLEMS CAUSED BY THE OVERHEATING OF THE INVIDIA GPU The above info assumes the System Board & GPU are operating properly. If you take this laptop to a repair shop the cost of the repair + parts may be more than the value of the laptop so take that into consideration. Lastly the system board, if you think it maybe a system board I would not replace it as a computer shop because it's just not cost effective for our customers but if you want to try yourself make sure you get a system board from a reputable vendor like Blue Raven Technology there boards are expensive about 250.00 but the Nvidia GPU's have been replaced with working versions that are not as susceptible to the overheating issues. I hope this info is helpful and Good Luck with your repair.

Back