HP intros world's first Wi-Fi mouse, touts 9-month battery life

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

HP has expanded its PC peripheral line today, introducing the world's first Wi-Fi mouse. Generically called the "HP Wi-Fi Mobile Mouse," the device reduces clutter by connecting to a computer through its Wi-Fi receiver. In addition to shedding the cable bound to wired mice, it also scraps the USB dongle associated with competing wireless models that use infrared or Bluetooth technology. In other words, you won't have to fiddle with messy cables or worry about losing your wireless receiver, and you'll gain a USB port in the process.

What's more, HP says its offering provides up to nine months of battery life, supposedly two times more than comparable Bluetooth models. That seems like a bold claim, but we'll have to take their word for now. The laser mouse features a four-way scroll wheel and five customizable buttons that can be configured to perform common actions such as cut, paste, undo and redo -- though this functionality is available to anyone with software like AutoHotkey. HP opted for an ambidextrous profile with a grippy rubber coating on both sides.

world battery life

The system builder announced six other wireless peripherals that don't use Wi-Fi: the HP Wireless Optical Comfort Mouse, Wireless Laser Comfort Mouse, Wireless Mobile Mouse, Wireless Mini Keyboard, Ultrathin Wireless keyboard, and Wireless Elite v2 Keyboard. All of them connect through a 2.4GHz RF adapter and support HP's "Link-5" technology, which lets you use up to five compatible accessories with one receiver. This is similar to Logitech's "Unifying" receiver, which handles up to six devices. Pricing and availability is below:

• HP Wi-Fi Mobile Mouse - $50 (June)
  • HP Wireless Optical Comfort Mouse - $30 (June)
  • HP Wireless Laser Comfort Mouse - $40 (June)
  • HP Wireless Mobile Mouse - $25 (June)
  • HP Wireless Mini Keyboard - $60 (available now)
  • HP Ultrathin Wireless Keyboard - $60 (available now)
  • HP Wireless Elite v2 Keyboard - $50 (July)

Permalink to story.

if anything i think it might create more interference in a already crowded 2.4ghz band wifi that's now used in anything and everything from cell phones, to baby monitors, walky talkie, PC periferals, microwave, remote control.... and more. how about something in the 5Ghz bandwidth with lag free wireless connection that won't feel like gliding on ice when you move the house.

If there is a void, something will fill it. But its probably cheaper to get a 5 buck USB hub, and plug your less intensive devices into it than buying a whole new mouse.

It looks like a portable mouse... but it only works with wi-fi, so if I there is no signal I have no mouse... IMO they should have make it hybrid...

Cueto_99 said:
It looks like a portable mouse... but it only works with wi-fi, so if I there is no signal I have no mouse... IMO they should have make it hybrid...

It connects directly to the WiFi on your laptop (or computer). It doesn't need a wifi router etc. if that's what your thinking.

Whoaman said:
Cueto_99 said:

It connects directly to the WiFi on your laptop (or computer). It doesn't need a wifi router etc. if that's what your thinking.

But your laptop can only handle one WiFi connection at a time (Unless it has two Wireless cards, which it doesn't).

If you're traveling, sure, you can use an ad-hoc connection, but this would most likely be really annoying, and use more power then bluetooth - meaning your battery wouldn't last as long.

Bluetooth and USB Dongles both connect instantly, automatically, without any configuration (except the initial config).

WiFi Mouse would most likely need to be set up every time you change the mode (If I'm using it at my desk on my dorm's wifi, I need to reconfigure it when I go to classrooms with no wifi)

It's also entirely possible that there will be ad-hoc issues. Or even more likely, WEP/WPA2 issues. I'm staying away from this.

This device seems inferior in compatibility, durability, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was also in performance.

Pretty much a needless invention, IMHO.
Bluetooth, conventional wireless and wired USB are fine.
I predict much less than widespread adoption.

How about one that works over 3G? ******.

dotvezz said:
But your laptop can only handle one WiFi connection at a time (Unless it has two Wireless cards, which it doesn't).

I also thought this at first, but let me quote the last part of the article for you:

Metthew DeCarlo said:
All of them connect through a 2.4GHz RF adapter and support HP's "Link-5" technology, which lets you use up to five compatible accessories with one receiver. This is similar to Logitech's "Unifying" receiver, which handles up to six devices.

Hewlett-packard have basically found a way around this. Besides, if only one connection was possible, there would be no point in having those 'circular-network' configurations (which lets you hook up to *a lot* of routers at the same time).

Although Ad-hoc connections does consume a lot of battery life... hopefully the mouse won't be too much of a demanding host, or even better; using next-to-no power demanding Wi-Fi protocols.

well no becuase I am wired so will still lose a USB port as I have to use a WIFI usb thing. Plus Id rather use a wired mouse.

I dont think i would like it to be honest. I mean, does it stand alone like a router? Whats the point of making it WiFi? When it works perfectly good (for most people) on blue tooth? lol

What difference is it going to make in performance, thats really noticable? lol

i love the sound of this, no wireless reciever, but it seems like it would create even more signal interference...which there is way too much of already.

I dont see the point... It's like having a Ethernet mouse with a RJ45 connector... I will admit to not having read through the entire article once again.

I see a point ... point is Bluetooth STINKS! I have more trouble with Bluetooth than anything else for the past several years on several devices.

This is N O T the first WIFI mouse. I have a 4th Gen iPod Touch and downloaded an app called Mobile Mouse Pro for a whole $1.99. It turns the iTouch into a WIFI mouse and it works 10 times better than the air mouse I paid big bucks for. HP is behind the times!

Guest said:
This is N O T the first WIFI mouse. I have a 4th Gen iPod Touch and downloaded an app called Mobile Mouse Pro for a whole $1.99. It turns the iTouch into a WIFI mouse and it works 10 times better than the air mouse I paid big bucks for. HP is behind the times!

by technicality neither is what you used... if you are suggesting that was a "mouse."

Lokalaskurar said:
dotvezz said:

I also thought this at first, but let me quote the last part of the article for you:

Metthew DeCarlo said:
All of them connect through a 2.4GHz RF adapter and support HP's "Link-5" technology, which lets you use up to five compatible accessories with one receiver. This is similar to Logitech's "Unifying" receiver, which handles up to six devices.

Hewlett-packard have basically found a way around this. Besides, if only one connection was possible, there would be no point in having those 'circular-network' configurations (which lets you hook up to *a lot* of routers at the same time).

Although Ad-hoc connections does consume a lot of battery life... hopefully the mouse won't be too much of a demanding host, or even better; using next-to-no power demanding Wi-Fi protocols.

The 5-device link is for the non-wifi models.

This is going to be a major pain. In all probability they will only have drivers for Win 7 so other OSes are out. I already have all my 4 PCs connecting to the router through wifi. I have been unable to find solution for connecting 2 PCs in P2P wired configuration over gigalan simultaneously with wifi connection to the internet.

How well is this mouse or Win7 going to behave when it uses the same wifi interface is million dollar question. Perhaps more frequent recurrence of system crashes !

Stick a Bluetooth card in your comp. Buy Bluetooth mouse. Congrats. You just solved your "issue" without the complications of this Wi-Fi mouse.

Back