HP is teaming up with Valve and Microsoft to create a mysterious next-gen VR headset

Polycount

Staff
Something to look forward to: After years of relative stagnation, the virtual reality industry has begun to revitalize itself. Valve's innovative VR-focused return to the Half-Life franchise with Half-Life: Alyx has launched to critical acclaim, and now reports suggest HP is working with the digital distribution giant and Microsoft to create a "next-gen" VR headset.

We don't know much about the headset at all just yet -- all we have to go on is a placeholder page over on HP's website. On the page, we see a headline for a "Next Gen HP VR Headset," and a brief description blurb that describes HP's vision for the device. The URL for the device also references "reverb G2," which could mean it's the successor to HP's Reverb mixed reality headset.

HP says their upcoming gadget will offer a more immersive, comfortable, and compatible experience than current and previous-gen VR gear. HP says it will be the "new standard" in VR, which is a bold claim, however they might just be able to pull it off. Valve's Index is widely considered one of the first true upgrades in the VR headset market, and if the company truly is lending its expertise to HP, perhaps we'll see an even bigger jump soon.

Interestingly, HP's upcoming headset is also listed on Steam as a hardware product. Valve typically only sells its own hardware on the platform with the exception of the HTC Vive, so it'll be interesting to see the company's rationale for distributing a competing product.

We aren't entirely sure what HP's new headset will look like yet, but you can you see a cropped teaser image above. Hopefully, we'll learn more about the headset over the coming months.

Permalink to story.

At HP the term "coming soon" simply means in your lifetime .... assuming you're under 30.

This is what the Article said:
Valve typically only sells its own hardware on the platform with the exception of the HTC Vive, so it'll be interesting to see the company's rationale for distributing a competing product.

Just the thing I was wondering about. What could be a possible upside of this for Valve?

HP is making this, not valve.

If you are going to continue to hate on VR in every article, do your homework.
I'm starting to think he's the main reason behind the "Appeal to out most loyal readers"

Anyone else remember "BigTruckSeries"? He's been a more tame version of him

I'm starting to think he's the main reason behind the "Appeal to out most loyal readers"

Been awhile since I heard that name. I think in general you will always have people who are like that no matter where you go but ultimately it's up to the website in question to keep them in check.

I would prefer it if comments that don't add anything to the conversation and/or don't have their own supporting facts be moved to the end of the comment thread. I really don't think news articles should be littered with the first 5 comments adding nothing while well thought out comments are buried.

The fact that the first people to post get the most viability basically enables this sort of thing to continue. If you want to discourage this type of behavior you have to switch comment placement in news articles from time of posting to quality of the comment.

At this point you essentially have to fight with the same 5 people who post their opinions first on every article who often put the least amount of effort into their comments rarely providing any facts. It's an impossible fight against the constant stream of misinformation.

Been awhile since I heard that name. I think in general you will always have people who are like that no matter where you go but ultimately it's up to the website in question to keep them in check.

I would prefer it if comments that don't add anything to the conversation and/or don't have their own supporting facts be moved to the end of the comment thread. I really don't think news articles should be littered with the first 5 comments adding nothing while well thought out comments are buried.

The fact that the first people to post get the most viability basically enables this sort of thing to continue. If you want to discourage this type of behavior you have to switch comment placement in news articles from time of posting to quality of the comment.

At this point you essentially have to fight with the same 5 people who post their opinions first on every article who often put the least amount of effort into their comments rarely providing any facts. It's an impossible fight against the constant stream of misinformation.
I'm going to start by bring back of some of the earlier days, specifically about pre-quantum days and even pre-bigtruckseries.

remember how we all use to joke around on forums and comments back in the day? we use to roll play and give each other jabs? Remember how I got an occupation as "Nigerian Prince" on my profile? we came here to not only talk about tech, but "hangout". I might comment once a week after this crap, we all have commented less, and when we do, it isn't about having fun. It's mostly arguing with toxic people who show up. While we always had toxic people on the forum, I see that an active toxic person makes the other toxic people show their faces.

Instead of one toxic person that quickly gets weeded out after showing his face later in a thread, we have people like Quantumphysics who is almost always the first poster and makes everyone angry and argue with each other later in the thread. I've simply stopped responding to his posts because I walk away angry whenever I see them. Even if I'm right, I still walk away angry and would rather just forget about the whole thing rather than arguing.

I just want to go back to the old days when we can have good spirited jabs at each other. We don't need people talking about how our opinions don't matter because they are a rich executive or how they know more than we do because of their experience with china. Or how our systems suck because of their 2 2080Ti's. How hasn't techspot recognized with this the statement below every article? I became part of this community because I enjoyed hanging out with everyone. I barely participate in this community anymore because 1) most of us hardly post anymore and 2) when we do, it's mostly to argue with Quantumphysics.

But if they do this how will we know about his RTX 2080 Ti and iPhone that has 512GB which he won't upgrade because there's no 1TB iPhone?

Could be the same guy. Had very similar style of writing.

Could be the same guy. Had very similar style of writing.
I disagree, BigTruckSeries was always promoting his youtube channel. Further, After watching some of his videos, I don't think he was educated enough to know what Quantum phyiscs was. Not that I believe this new guys know's what they are, either. But as I mentioned before, his comments are a lot tamer and without as many typeo-s as BigTruckSeries.

and iPhone that has 512GB which he won't upgrade because there's no 1TB iPhone?

what do you even that much storage for?

Last edited:
If you want to discourage this type of behavior you have to switch comment placement in news articles from time of posting to quality of the comment.

And if you **** to ********** kind ** ***** *** have ** require **** ******* ******* to ******* terms ***** ** ***** ********* ***** ** ***** longevity ** **** *****.
And that's exactly what they'll get from a UPvote or BEST-first ranking system.

Seen any of those Disqus Channels (be brave try the link) lately?

At this point you essentially have to fight......

Sigh.

Anyone who feels like they HAVE TO FIGHT are simply doing forums wrong.

and iPhone that has 512GB which he won't upgrade because there's no 1TB iPhone?
And if you **** to ********** kind ** ***** *** have ** require **** ******* ******* to ******* terms ***** ** ***** ********* ***** ** ***** longevity ** **** *****.

Sigh.

Lol

I disagree, BigTruckSeries was always promoting his youtube channel. Further, After watching some of his videos, I don't think he was educated enough to know what Quantum phyiscs was. Not that I believe this new guys know's what they are, either. But as I mentioned before, his comments are a lot tamer and without as many typeo-s as BigTruckSeries.

what do you even that much storage for?
Idk. I use around 8GB, never needed more.

I'm going to start by bring back of some of the earlier days, specifically about pre-quantum days and even pre-bigtruckseries.

remember how we all use to joke around on forums and comments back in the day? we use to roll play and give each other jabs? Remember how I got an occupation as "Nigerian Prince" on my profile? we came here to not only talk about tech, but "hangout". I might comment once a week after this crap, we all have commented less, and when we do, it isn't about having fun. It's mostly arguing with toxic people who show up. While we always had toxic people on the forum, I see that an active toxic person makes the other toxic people show their faces.

Instead of one toxic person that quickly gets weeded out after showing his face later in a thread, we have people like Quantumphysics who is almost always the first poster and makes everyone angry and argue with each other later in the thread. I've simply stopped responding to his posts because I walk away angry whenever I see them. Even if I'm right, I still walk away angry and would rather just forget about the whole thing rather than arguing.

I just want to go back to the old days when we can have good spirited jabs at each other. We don't need people talking about how our opinions don't matter because they are a rich executive or how they know more than we do because of their experience with china. Or how our systems suck because of their 2 2080Ti's. How hasn't techspot recognized with this the statement below every article? I became part of this community because I enjoyed hanging out with everyone. I barely participate in this community anymore because 1) most of us hardly post anymore and 2) when we do, it's mostly to argue with Quantumphysics.

Well that's fine and dandy, commiserating how wonderful things used to be... I hate to interrupt that, but thought it wouldn't be too out of place to leave a note that this ^^ little private conversation popped up the same time I was going to pickup my password. Seems a password is required to delete your account here.

Maybe your Trucker guy will come back one day.

And maybe he won't.

Well that's fine and dandy, commiserating how wonderful things used to be... I hate to interrupt that, but thought it wouldn't be too out of place to leave a note that this ^^ little private conversation popped up the same time I was going to pickup my password. Seems a password is required to delete your account here.

Maybe your Trucker guy will come back one day.

And maybe he won't.
Maybe he's already here and I was wrong about him having an alt account

Sigh.

No one said anything about an upvote system.

Don't know what you mean by a "BEST-first" system either. It sounds exactly the same as an upvote system.

A tag based system would be far better for deciding which select few posts should be placed front and center before you start seeing comments in order by date/time.

Last edited:
Back